Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Nemesis94 has continued to work on his recreation and posted the following images on TowersStreet. Can't help but feel that the sound screens that surround a significant amount of the layout are going to kill the off-ride views that the ride would have potentially had.

simononestop

yep that's what I said earlier in the posts. all the timber walls close to the track round all the corners! or could add to ride if you cant see the other track (where you are going)
Benjsh85

It will be a hideous looking ride if they just plonk loads of wooden walls and tunnels on the ride and don't attempt to theme them with fascades to emerse them into the rides's theme.

Balder at Lisberg is apparently a great coaster but boy does it look ugly. I'd like to think that AT will go a few steps further and at least try to theme it.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Historic England have also commented on the application stating that they too have no objections.
xylyx

Good stuff: the fewer objections the better :)

Well have to see about the walls and sound tunnels, with any luck this will have been thought of and taken into account. To me personally theming it's the icing on the cake, it's not vital but it adds to the flavour nicely. Do even if it does look hideous as long as it's a good ride I don't mind :)
Ryan.B

lewis97 wrote:Historic England have also commented on the application stating that they too have no objections.

Ooh that's great! Am I right in thinking they've objected to other proposed woodies?
Benjsh85

What's the best GCI woodie out there right now?
Burniel

Benjsh85 wrote:What's the best GCI woodie out there right now?
That's a really hard question to answer. Speaking out of no personal opinion (I've never done a GCI! :O), Mitch Hawker's best wooden coaster poll ranked Troy at Toverland to be the best, but this is not to be trusted completely. Like all coasters, it's a matter of personal opinion.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
NemesisRider

Benjsh85 wrote:What's the best GCI woodie out there right now?
That's honestly quite a hard question. If I was to guess... Probably Wodan at Europa Park, but it's all opinion based. There are other good ones such as Lightning Racers at Hersheypark, Joris en Draak at Efteling and Apocalypse at SFMM.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Nemesis94 has now released an updated POV of his SW8 recreation. The layout is growing on me and I do think it could offer some nice moments of airtime with it picking up some reasonable speed.
118hazaman

After watching the updated POV I was interested in finding out the rough total ride time. I consider 'ride time' to be from when the train is released from the chain, to when it hits the final break run (for LIM/LSM launch coasters the start is being released from the station). The POV shows a ride time of roughly 48 seconds. Comparing this to Nemesis, which lasts for only roughly 40 seconds, SW8 could have a longer ride time.
Adam.W

If either TheCodeMaster or Nemesis94 are reading this, would you mind uploading a back seat POV? ;)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Adam.W wrote:If either TheCodeMaster or Nemesis94 are reading this, would you mind uploading a back seat POV? ;)
There's a backseat POV in Nemesis94's video that I linked to above. This is where it starts.
MakoMania

The video doesn't work for me. Anybody else having trouble?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
jonny9403

MakoMania wrote:The video doesn't work for me. Anybody else having trouble?
Up me 2
Guitar

Has he released the files so this can be viewed in No Limits itself?
Georgie

Yeah, I can't watch the video either. I thought it might be Virgin Media blocking it but it's not working on my mobile's 4G either.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It was definitely working when I originally posted the links but the video now appears to have been removed for some reason.

EDIT: Has now been re-uploaded, with links in posts amended accordingly.
TheCodeMaster

Here's a back row POV:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your not so local California Resident.
Justin

It certainly unique to the resort and will offer something different, however I wonder what elements Merlin will add? So far it is marketed as a "Ground Breaking New Ride Development", but I am still wondering what that entails?

It would also be good to see the attraction fully themed with a full backstory!