Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MakoMania

RobHand wrote:
When have Towers ever let us down??!!! (excluding sub-terra of course ;) :lol )
Sub-Terra (as you say)

Th13teen (would've been ok if marketed correctly)

Rita (It's alright, just a little underwhelming for the "best ride ever")

2016 ride line up = massive let down

Removing Ripsaw & Submission without replacement

Yeah :lol , I'm really confident in AT to make this amazing!

In all seriousness, I think IF it is marketed correctly & IF it is well themed SW8 could actually be a real hit!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
118hazaman

MakoMania wrote:
RobHand wrote:
When have Towers ever let us down??!!! (excluding sub-terra of course ;) :lol )
Sub-Terra (as you say)
Th13teen (would've been ok if marketed correctly)
Rita (It's alright, just a little underwhelming for the "best ride ever")
2016 ride line up = massive let down
Removing Ripsaw & Submission without replacement

Yeah :lol , I'm really confident in AT to make this amazing!

In all seriousness, I think IF it is marketed correctly & IF it is well themed SW8 could actually be a real hit!
To be fair 2 of the 5 things that you mentioned are down to marketing. They aren't exactly going to advertise Th13teen or Rita as "A decent ride experience" are they? As for the others, Ripsaw disappeared for the 2016, so hopefully we will see a replacement next year. AT do some things right, and do other things 'wrong'. Overall, it's not that bad is it?
S.J_O'Grady

I can think of more good things they've come up with than bad! (CBeebies, The Smiler, Galactica retheme and so on)
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
TheCodeMaster

I went back and re-did my SW8 recreation since the new plans were released and this is what it will (probably) look like:
(Ive had to watermark the images after a media source took them without crediting)

I have added a tunnel, changed the shaping on some of the hills and added a foam padding to the track, as seen on Gold Striker, to reduce noise created by the train. I may add scenery if people are intrerested to get a better idea of what it will look like.
Your not so local California Resident.
simononestop

I don't know why they don't just buy a couple of flat rides they cant be that expensive compared to other investments. easy and simple to increase the ride count with minimal outlay and work.
Jack

Amazing work there Code! Saw that you uploaded a POV of it so if people want to see it, here it is; " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Georgie

Not the fault of Nemesis94 but I think this version does make the ride look more exciting. It would be cool to see this version of the layout with the ride buildings included.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
xylyx

That's a good mock up, it was speedy and interesting, loved all the twists and turns. If it's as good as that I'll be happy. And that's without all the theming and whatever else they have planned :D
AdamDylag

Personally, I think that:
A. The layout looks compact and intense, also, well done Code on making the great animation as well.
B. Even if the actual coaster is only "good" but not necessarily fantastic, the whole experience will still be great due to the focus on theming. With all the thematic elements including the various elements during the ride layout, the queue and the pre-show; it will surely be awesome.
mikecloud

Thank you for the POV.

I only post very rarely, but that video has made me want to give me two cents.

First impressions I had from the plans was that this was going to be a short ride and possibly more family orientated. However, that video and the quality of it lets you "feel" the pops of airtime that are well place. The ride almost "feels" like it will pack a punch - that lift hill seems longer than first envisaged and the little bit of speed picked up at the top of the first drop means that drop seems almost relentless - a triple down almost? - I can see why AT have opted for a sound tunnel there.

The ride from there seems to hold its speed very well, enough head choppers to make it feel dangerous, enough airtime hills to have you up onto your (hopefully) lap bar.

To conclude, I feel that this WON'T be a family coaster and it will be little pocket rocket of a coaster - I believe this will leave you almost breathless afterwards - it looks fun and I can't wait to follow another UK coaster build (Colossus on a Thorpe fan site was my first).
Javs

Hey Code. another great mockup, but you have changed/missed the changing lift hill gradient! In the plans it starts of around 22 degrees and changes to 12 I think. (Those figures are off the top of my head!)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Severn Trent Water have now commented on the application stating that they have no objections, and have just imposed, what I understand to be, standard conditions.

A few comments from local residents have also been added in the past few days, both of which object to the proposals on the grounds of noise disturbance, environmental disturbance and heritage related reasons.
scruffy_

are the tunnels really going to be that big?
Owen

scruffy_ wrote:are the tunnels really going to be that big?
Length wise yes, as the plans state they are. Height wise, assuming they're going to use the standard GCI tunnels they will be approximately this size as well. :)
118hazaman

Currently, 5 of the 7 contacted residents do not have any objections the proposals. It's interesting to read their own personal comments. One of the 5 simply states:
Mmmmmm. Wood. <3
Liam.W

118hazaman wrote:Currently, 5 of the 7 contacted residents do not have any objections the proposals. It's interesting to read their own personal comments. One of the 5 simply states:
Mmmmmm. Wood. <3
Nice to see someone so enthusiastic!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

MakoMania

You do realise that you can just send in a comment to them and it comes up as if you're a resident.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Sawboss

That system seems flawed...
Ryan.B

It's an enthusiast, nowhere near Alton :P plus the comment was made before the plans came out :P
Dom

I'm going to be honest now, but I'm no where near as excited by this as so many others are. I actually think this is going to be a bit meh. It doesn't look exciting. It kind of looks boring. I am happy that AT are finally getting a woodie, but I can help but feel a bit disappointed by this. I guess I will just have to wait and see.