Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
abigsmurf

Definitely makes it look like it's aimed at being a family coaster. The big drop is heavily banked and not too steep and it looks like the rest of the track is high speed but not to intense, other than losing your stomach briefly 1-2 times.

Looks fun and it'll be great as a ride a family can go on together but I still feel it needs a bit of a gimmick to make up for the short length of it.
Dannyski

Having watched the POV, it's actually a longer experience that I imagined, looks fun too!
Adam.W

I'm thinking that they will use the sound tunnel to their advantage - perhaps add some lights, audio, smoke, etc - especially looking at how long it is
S.J_O'Grady

As Dannyski says, it's actually longer than it looks on the rough POV vid:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
118hazaman

The POV looks great. However, I am a firm believer that what we see isn't the full extent of the ride. AT has done it before, and they'll do it again.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Something to note is that the documents submitted as part of this application no longer show The Flume site as a GDO area, as it was previously thought to be. If this is the case then there isn't really much scope for Towers to make significant structural changes, like what was seen with The Smiler.

Aidan Lowe

Looks to have nice speed and a few nice airtime moments from the early POV. Slightly disappointed that Alton Towers finally getting a wooden coaster it seems to be aimed towards the family with no inversions or high banking turns but not complaining as it'll be a nice change at towers and a nice filler ride going through Mutiny Bay to FV.

Here's to hoping its a totally boss train carriage.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Javs

118hazaman wrote:The POV looks great. However, I am a firm believer that what we see isn't the full extent of the ride. AT has done it before, and they'll do it again.
What more are you expecting to happen? On what have they done this before?
xylyx

Maybe it will be a spinning Woodie lol

As said before I don't mind it being gimmick free, if it maintains the pace of other GCI compact designs and uses the terrain like it appears to I'll be a happy bug. Fast ground hugging coasters are something else :D
S.J_O'Grady

The only thing that makes me think there must be something more to it is that it's a SW. And as good as it looks, it would be strange for them to install a SW so standard.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Javs

Well I think it is there for us all to see! Its a wooden rollercoaster (almost definately GCI) with what appears to be a launched LIM lift system (which will no doubt slow towards the top due to the tight turn but still offer a good entry speed), a fast layout with some nice airtime. Sounds bloody fantastic to me!
118hazaman

Javs wrote:
118hazaman wrote:The POV looks great. However, I am a firm believer that what we see isn't the full extent of the ride. AT has done it before, and they'll do it again.
What more are you expecting to happen? On what have they done this before?
It looks great, I can't deny it. I just think, as others as said, there's more to it. AT haven't previously put in standard rides as part of the Secret Weapon series. Each ride had it's own quirk (or gimmick). Whether this will be continued I don't know, only time will tell.
Adam.W

To be honest, after SW8 has launched, Spinball Whizzer will be removed, IMO. It fills the age gap between RMT and th13teen, nemesis, etc, so I think part of the reason SW8 is family themed is to fill the age gap. They already have a pretty solid thrill ride lineup, so a more family based ride will be needed. (This is presuming Spinball will be removed before 2020, stated by the LTDP).
iamradam
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

This looks, in all honesty, a perfect fit for the park. Alton Towers is drastically focusing on families and they need this bridge between tame and wild rides to replace Spinball Whizzer (just realised the initials are SW and I almost put that lol).
Y'all are gonna love it when it's open, I know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
liam.rigby16

Spinball won't go. It always has a full queue.

MakoMania

liam.rigby16 wrote:Spinball won't go. It always has a full queue.

And it also has something that is called abysmal capacity. I see it going at the end of the 2018 season.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
YourNemesis

A water splash in the same place the flumes was would be my guess, (as part of the ride not SW element if there is one) sentimental and adds to pirate theme. Also the return is in the exact same location.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The issue is that there isn't a body of water shown on the plans nor is it mentioned in the Flood Risk and Drainage Assessment.
lkav1983

Been on the park today what a cracking day it was. Looking at the site I think this is gonna look pretty grand in scale, I know the layout doesn't look this way
RobHand

I cannot wait for SW8, and if it is aimed at families then great.
I just thought that, seemingly being a long term / permanent coaster (for the fact it is a SW, and a wooden coaster), that they would apply a enforcing "thrill factor", not even a gimmick as such, that will keep guests thrilled in many years to come, much like nemesis,oblivion, 13 etc. Just how long before the coaster becomes out dated.

Again i must stress I'm sure i will love the coaster no matter what!!!, and not every detail has been reviled on what is to come yet. I just hope the coaster will do as well in the future like the rest of the SWs

When have Towers ever let us down??!!! (excluding sub-terra of course ;) :lol )