Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

Horras64 wrote:I hope it's not a water ride and doubt so too. Because all SW's have been coasters, and I don't think they'll want to break this trend. Also a 2018 opening indicates ot taking a long time to build. So my bet is on a woodie.
KoasterKraver wrote: A water ride replacing a water ride would be nice, but ever since it said SW8 it's pointed to a coaster.
Sorry guys, I was referring to the ride manufacturer. :lol
As you've rightly said, all SW are coasters, so I have no doubt that it will be a coaster that we will receive.
bensaund

Alton could be getting their own ugly, squeeky version of Storm Surge!

*Prays it is not true*
Georgie

bensaund wrote:Alton could be getting their own ugly, squeeky version of Storm Surge!

*Prays it is not true*
There already is an ugly squeaky version of storm surge.

..it's called storm surge.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
118hazaman

I don't know whether this has been said, or is actually useful, but on the actual layout plan, it states it's the 6th Drawing Revision.
AdamDylag

This is probably just a rough idea of what the ride will be, as this application's purpose was to inform locals about what trees were going to be removed and what trees would be protected. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual ride was quite different from this. I think it looks pretty good (I've always wanted a GCI at the towers) but it seems just a tad bit short.
jamesc

The 3 lines marking the track layout on the plans could be for a third rail, so maybe a Worlds First B&M 4D Prototype.

My second choice would ultimately be for a wooden coaster with some inversions and a splash down using part of the old flume lake.

Even a wooden coaster with a loop would be nice, but that would be dreaming.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
Gravity

I've just been thinking, while the current layout could be a good fit for a woodie, it could also be a very good fit for a robot-coaster, with smooth lines and curves.

I am not sure how far these prototypes went and if they have already been brought to life in a theme park somewhere in the world, but if they want to go for a world first that good be a good pick...
MakoMania

I think that so soon after recent events Alton will want to go with a tried and tested ride system that has little chance of any "teething errors" and not a lot of downtime. So, a GCI wooden coaster is what I am betting on after seeing the rough layout plans.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
hamcake

Weren't Gravity Group working on designs with AT a couple years ago?
scruffy_

My guess is a woodie!
caterhamsteve

Aside from speculation of what the ride may, or may not be, it does state part of the development will include a catering outlet. Has anyone noticed the arrow on the plans pointing to the centre of the old flume station with the word "smokehouse", and the fact that the area will be paved with the central area covered. A good smokehouse bbq would certainly theme well with a woodie
MakoMania

It does make you think that something pretty major must have happened if Merlin are going to build a wooden coaster. They are the last company I'd predict would build a wooden coaster.

SeaWorld have also said in the past that wooden coasters are not as easily marketable and they cost a lot to maintain, yet they are installing one at BGW next year. Just struck me as a similar scenario to Merlin/AT.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Owen

Merlin have been interested in wooden coasters for years - it wouldn't surprise me at all if they went for one seeing as the capability's of wooden attractions have sky rocketed within the last 5 years, meaning they can add new features to it and make it instantly marketable.
scruffy_

Can anyone remember how the Smiler track looked in the plans?
Georgie

scruffy_ wrote:Can anyone remember how the Smiler track looked in the plans?
Here are the original plans for Smiling Weapon 7. Note that there are multiple inversions missing and there were plans for a plaza taking up half the current queue area. The ride itself didn't require planning permission, just the station, which is why they were able to change the layout later down the line.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Ryan.B

when do we reckon the proper planning application will go in for this?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Ryan.B wrote:when do we reckon the proper planning application will go in for this?
The council have three weeks to form a Screening Opinion based on the documents which have been provided, in relation to whether an Environmental Impact Assessment is needed. Seeing as it's more than likely that an EIA will not be needed, this stage of development should effectively be complete in a few weeks time.

A full planning application will then be submitted once this decision has been given. As it would seem the planning application will also seek permission to remove The Flume as well as construct SW8, I expect that they'll want to submit it as soon as possible so that they can commence work on site. Therefore I'd anticipate seeing the full application perhaps submitted in a few months time.
Ryan.B

I am quite disappointed with this newer version of SW8, not "It's going to be rubbish" because it will still be a good ride most likely, and I think this quote from a member of coasterforce hits it pretty much bang on.

"Its all about perspective really. If we had no idea a ride was being planned and suddenly had a woodie like this shoved in our faces we'd be all over it and rightly so. However, in this instance we've known about SW8 and had tweets from ATR talking about a Forbidden Valley coaster and numerous sources saying a launched RMC (certainly not just an enthusiasts unrealistic pipe dream) yet those plans have seemingly been ditched for a much blander ride. There is inevitably going to be disappointment when plans deviate from something that simply could have been the best in the world. We'd had it dangled in front of us for over a year now and snatched away at the last minute".

Basically the original SW8 built up hype for a world class ride, and then got cancelled for what appears to be a family thrill ride. Selfish or not, the original SW8 would have been a competitor against project 2018 at Blackpool, and would have probably beaten it. This however will most likely be overshadowed by that I would think...
bensaund

In all honesty the general public won't care. the ride is 2 years away. The park will always have multiple plans up their sleeve. I just hope this plan along with the Charlie refurb and new flats gives the majority of their customers what they need.
owenjcornelius

I am really looking forward to SW8 two years is the perfect the time frame for all the hype to die down about the smiler crash. I would love to see a wooden coaster which seems quite likely. I think that this planning application will be approved and this combined with hotel expansions should make the park even more competitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk