Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Georgie

My word, first the new Steven Universe trailer, then the new Doctor Who companion reveal and now this? Did someone miss the memo that my birthday's not until June?

I really hope that's a Woodie. It looks like one but I don't want to get overhyped here.
Last edited by Georgie on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Owen

Yes the plans may be altered but will likely end up being similar to this - inversions (if any) may be concealed. Personally I can see a zero-g roll exiting into a helix (around the Flume station), and the long line with slight movement might be a stall?

However, from these plans we can see:

- A large ride including a pre-lift section and indoor elements
- A new "smokehouse" restaurant making use of the old Flume station
- A retail unit
- Possibly a pre-show
- New foliage making the coaster race through trees
- new pavement and photo opportunities

Very promising!
Sawboss

It's a racing launched woodie where one train is a pirate super weapon and the other is a giant killer duck!
Georgie

The new smokehouse may explain the closure of the courtyard tavern. Either way, I'm glad they're adding one to Alton because as expensive as the Chessington one is, the food is really good. Also, to answer a previous question, HP and LP refer to the high point and low point of the new ride.
Edit: Looks like Lewis beat me to it!
Last edited by Georgie on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Ryan.B wrote:At the top of the lift/launch? it says HP 201 and around the ride it stays around HP and LP 180. not sure what that means but its interesting.
High and low points (stated in metres above sea level) :)
COASTERGUY246

Im thinking it might be something like Joris en de Draak @ Efteling

lewis97
Admin
Admin

The item annotated as 'smokehouse' is nowhere near large enough to be a restaurant itself. Instead it looks like the location where the smoking oven will be located (similar to the wooden canopy area outside Smokehouse BBQ at Chessington). It could be instead that the nearby Courtyard Tavern & BBQ will be rebranded or have smoked items added to its menu.
Owen

Yes, this is what I meant - however I personally would still class this (assuming the space around will have tables and chairs) as a restaurant of sorts. Sorry for any confusion :)
Vladimir Bobinski

The plans do look "simple", but it can conceal a lot when you are playing by the rules of a planning by the rules of a planning applications, i.e inversions.

*Crosses Fingers* RMC Hybrid!
Horras64

My reaction when I saw the image was: AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

This is really promising and after DBGT is released, I will be following this until it's open!

(In 2018 [emoji23])
theparklifekid

Wow.... i'm lost for words...
Id love it to be a woodie seeing that ive never done one before, but are we sure that this is a dueller? I'd love it if thats the case and as Owen said they could be altered like the smilers plans to maybe include an inverted bank like the one at Tayto ParkImage
Or maybe a Zero G stall like Goliath at Six FlagsImage
Or it could just be a family coaster, RMC or a water coaster...
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Ryan.B

It looks like it takes a few RMC elements to me (Wildfires Pre Drop and Step up under flip really long name thingy from the joker) and what could be over banks. it really does look like it could be great, but would it be a Mutiny Bay or Katanga Canyon ride looking at the station position.
Teammaddiz

Lift hill
The lift hill has two different angles of elevation, with the first part being 24 degrees and the second being 12, presumably. If the image below is correctly aligned then there are no trees in the second half of the lift hill, meaning that they would need to decrease the angle in order to get the distance away from the main area whilst staying below the tops.
Where the coaster will be situated
Last edited by Teammaddiz on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theparklifekid

Guys don't forget that when it comes to SWs they love to have "worlds first" in the title...
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Owen

From what I can see, the highest point on the ride is 201 meters above sea level. The lowest point is 180.5 above sea level. This means that in the whole circuit (based on these plans) will have a total difference in height of 20.5 meters. That's about 67 feet (barely taller than 13). The station is at 184.5 meter above sea level.

A very low layout, that manages to reach multiple points at similar heights (201.5, 196 and 191.5 in the first section) - possibly meaning this will be very speedy!
Sawboss

Owen wrote:That's about 67 feet (barely taller than 13).
Good stuff, I love that first drop on 13.
I had a read through of the Screening Opinion Request and, though I can't get it to load now, I think it mentioned multiple tunnels and 3 themeing elements that might interact with the ride.
jonny9403

Sawboss wrote:
Owen wrote:That's about 67 feet (barely taller than 13).
Good stuff, I love that first drop on 13.
I had a read through of the Screening Opinion Request and, though I can't get it to load now, I think it mentioned multiple tunnels and 3 themeing elements that might interact with the ride.
Mine doesn't load :(
Ryan.B

could it be even bigger in tunnels. What speed would the difference of around 70ft on a drop make? Id reckon in between 40-50mph.
Coasterfellow

Am I the only one who isn't disappointed with the layout? I love the look of it! It looks to be a really fun, fast compact ride ;)
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
Sawboss

In addition to the general ride track a number of tunnels are proposed to assist with the ride experience and to mitigate noise impacts
Three themed features are proposed to be incorporated into the ride design. Maximum height of up to 15 metres from existing ground level
Found it :)
Excited to see what the theme will be for SW8, guessing from the station location it could be it's own area between mutiny bay and katanga.