Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ladyofthelake

I very much think that what a park's flagship attraction is will vary depending on the market you are targeting. If we take Alton as an example, for the thrill-seekers the flagship ride will be Nemesis or The Smiler, whilst for young families it will be CBeebies Land. People who haven't visited the park before will currently see Glactica as the flagship attraction with that being the new addition for this year and the attraction which is being heavily marketed.

Whilst many people do see a flume as a core part of any theme park, I think that as long as a park had a decent range of rides then the absence of a flume shouldn't be an issue. I suspect the reason the possible absence of a flume attraction may be such a discussion point currently will be partly down to the ride closures which are in place at the park - once the rides which are currently closed for TLC are open, plus with hopefully another addition next year (something which is of course yet to be confirmed), by the time SW8 comes along in 2018 we should have a reasonable range of attractions again.
towerskid

Owen wrote: Let's not forget that Heide Park (another Merlin park in a country with a very similar climate) removed their flume for Flug Der Damonen - I don't see many saying "oh I wish we had the flume back" now! ;)
No but BPB removed their flume for Infusion and I'd rather the flume tbh[emoji6]
Burniel

towerskid wrote:
Owen wrote: Let's not forget that Heide Park (another Merlin park in a country with a very similar climate) removed their flume for Flug Der Damonen - I don't see many saying "oh I wish we had the flume back" now! ;)
No but BPB removed their flume for Infusion and I'd rather the flume tbh
True, but SW8 is, in my opinion, highly unlikely to be a disappointment. If Alton announced that SW8 would be an SLC I think there'd be a boycott :lol

I think what Owen was saying was that based on past additions by the company in question, SW8 will probably something spectacular, far better than a flume ride. This is a more accurate comparison as it actually looks at the company who will be designing SW8 as opposed to a random amusement park who wanted a cheap new ride.

And BPB have Valhalla, stop complaining ;)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Owen

Infusion is hardly a good comparison, firstly it's a second hand attraction, secondly BPB isn't part of a major franchise and thirdly, we know that Merlin wouldn't drop to that standard as they have the money to put amazing attractions in.
dazza4783

So if SW8 is for 2018, is there going to be any additions next year. If the high investment year has moved to 2018, will 2017 be a medium investment year, or another low investment year? If it is a medium investment hopefully we will see a permanent replacement for Ripsaw, maybe for submission as well.
MakoMania

dazza4783 wrote:So if SW8 is for 2018, is there going to be any additions next year. If the high investment year has moved to 2018, will 2017 be a medium investment year, or another low investment year? If it is a medium investment hopefully we will see a permanent replacement for Ripsaw, maybe for submission as well.
It was said in the talk that there will be new "products" both on park and on resort for both 2017 & 2018.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
scruffy_

How deep is the lake? Can definitely seeing parts of this ride being in dug up parts
Tom170499

scruffy_ wrote:How deep is the lake? Can definitely seeing parts of this ride being in dug up parts
It's not that deep, I'd say maybe up to an average waist. I'm not sure. Seen as they drain it every year it can't be that deep as to drain a deep lake would cost money and there's nothing Merlin hate more than spending money ;)
Vladimir Bobinski

I suppose there is point waiting for the day when Merlin pull their ego out of their back side and stop obsessing with this "worlds first" culture. They are perfectly capable of just making a good coaster. Dollywood were getting the first launched woodie but that's been delayed.

I suppose the phrase "a new concept" is still open to just meaning Alton.

It's a shame because right now I think a Rocky Mountain Hybrid coaster is the right thing at the right time. Not sure if they've got the room in mind for something like this mind.

Theme Park Review - Medusa 4K POV
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hell, I'd be happy with a floorless sitdown B&M.
towerskid

Vladimir Bobinski wrote:
Hell, I'd be happy with a floorless sitdown B&M.
Me too tbh, but I highly doubt it as the gp would see it too similar to the smiler I think.
Themeparksandy1981

The Secret weapon and world's first is what brings guests back from all around the world to try this new coaster. It what draws new guests and old back to the park.
Javs

Nemesis was an SW but not a world first. I would say it has quite successfully drawn guests new and old back for a while now! Look at Maverick at Cedar Point. It's not the longest, fastest, tallest or a world first, yet it provides one of the most exhilarating steel coaster experiences in the world.
Liam.W

People from TATA steel have been spotted on site.

Credit goes to: https://www.facebook.com/ThemeParkPhoto ... k/?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Arwen

Liam.W wrote:People from TATA steel have been spotted on site.

Credit goes to: https://www.facebook.com/ThemeParkPhoto ... k/?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I wonder if that duck will invest in our steel works" ;) :lol

Maybe Towers will get the steel for the coaster (if it is steel) from them for PR stuff? Sounds like something Morwenna Angove would do!
MakoMania

Ok geeks, which manufacturers use TATA steel!?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Liam.W

MakoMania wrote:Ok geeks, which manufacturers use TATA steel!?
I don't know, but it won't be made in Britain that's for sure!

COASTERGUY246

it might not be for SW8 itself, they are probably there about scrap metal from the flume
Liam.W

This information might be useful to those who know about the construction/deconstruction of rides and building in general.

Here is the caption they put with the photo:
Theme Park Photography wrote:There is currently a lot of people million about the old flume station and new ‪#‎sw8‬ site, one of these appears to be from Tata Steel. ‪#‎altontowers‬ ‪#‎newride‬ #sw8
And here is something they put in the comments:
Theme Park Photography wrote:It was ground work surveying, looking more like building from the places samples of soil were removed

Themeparksandy1981

COASTERGUY246 wrote:it might not be for SW8 itself, they are probably there about scrap metal from the flume
I'm surprised there not started clearing the site yet.
Ryan.B

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
COASTERGUY246 wrote:it might not be for SW8 itself, they are probably there about scrap metal from the flume
I'm surprised there not started clearing the site yet.
I'm guessing it's due to the complexity of the flume itself. I imagine going exploring the park in 10 years after dark, and finding the giant duck in the tunnel in working order :P