Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
xylyx

I guess it depends on what they intend to do, what is needed in terms of space and groundwork. I'm curious how they will prepare the ground after the madness surrounding the Smiler's construction, and i'm guessing they'll not want any more attention being lavished on construction due to problems so I'm betting they think long and hard about every step before going ahead.

Which is maddening because I want to see what they have planned, but better they do it right hehe.

It would be sensible to see the signs as a distraction from the closure TBH, the flume has been there long enough that people will miss it, admittedly not myself but that's by the by, and having a sign stating they'RE working on something will satisfy people more than just leaving it blank. :)
scruffy_

owenrita121 wrote:As soon as it's actually removed the normal park goer won't even remember it. If it is a coaster that replaces it, the flume will be forgotten in a heartbeat. I still don't understand why people are so upset over its removal, it was dirty, old, didn't run very well, took up a massive amount of space and is only enjoyable for a few short moments a year...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
used to love it though despite all that
Ryan.B

If construction starts late this year, and goes near the sky ride, won't that be closed?
MakoMania

Ryan.B wrote:If construction starts late this year, and goes near the sky ride, won't that be closed?
I don't see it going that close, but if they do need to go that close to the Skyride, they will probably carry that work out during closed season.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Ryan.B

I was thinking in terms of moving construction vehicles on and around the site. Thinking about that, I want whatever it is to have an headchopper underneath a skyride car :lol
Javs

Not so keen on the negative vibes about our dear log flume!! Most of us will miss it due to the great memories shared with friends and family for well over 20 years! Let's hope it's replacement is more worthy than Corky's replacement.
nemefan08

I hope sw8 is built for 2018. Alton's lack of flat rides is a larger problem than water rides or roller coasters. Next year should be a flat ride somewhere in the park.
Owen

I'm sure if they are removing a such a core attraction it will most definitely be replaced with something fantastic. Much like the Corkscrew/TH13TEEN scenario, as 13 is a fantastic attraction both thematically and technologically. I think we will be seeing something along the same lines here, something very nicely themed, yet have a fantastic experience along with it that will be memerable and unforgettable.
TheBeast

I sure hope so. I agree with Nemefan, I want some flats before we see anything big. Having closed down a lot of the rides I liked like Hex and Ripsaw, I want to see what they have done in the meantime while these rides are off the lineup
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Horras64

I agree with Owen, how if they remove an attraction they'll fill it with something fantastic. Also I hope they've listened to the general public and Enthusiasts to not make it a gimmicky coaster for a world first element etc. Like the smiler. I want it to be a good coaster like nemesis is. Also I think they will try and theme this really well like they did with TH13TEEN, and also like how TP has seem to have done with DBGT

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk
jamesc

I like to see something like Journey To Atlantis at SeaWorld, it would make for a nice backdrop at the back of the flume site.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
Themeparksandy1981

If it's gonna open next season it's gonna be a unthemed ride like Rita as that only took 7 months from start to finish. Even the Smiler site was started to be cleared in April with planning permission going in Dec 2011.
Have they even started removing the Flume yet as I guess that could take awhile removing the underground parts.
Jack

There is still the possibility of SW8 opening next season if they aim for it to open by summer instead of spring, although I feel this is getting very unlikely at this point and we will have a 2018 opening to look forward to :)
Ryan.B

Maybe they won't remove the flume, do some near misses and theme it around haunted ducks. :lol
Horras64

Ryan.B wrote:Maybe they won't remove the flume, do some near misses and theme it around haunted ducks. :lol
I did think this, maybe they'll refurbish the flume and building something else. Especially how a lot of the flume is above ground in the forest near the the gloomy wood shortcut.
towerslover

I wouldn't be surprised if sw8 isn't a wooden coaster as much as I would love it to be, I don't think it could be open in 2017, making me think sw8 could be some sort of dark ride potentially a mack water coaster with something special, then the wooden would be built in the forbidden valley in a few years time once they've removed the blade...
theparklifekid

I wouldn't mind if they did that, seeing as how The flume was a popular ride, they could do what they did with Corkscrew during RITAs construction, leave the ride where it is and build around it, then open it when the ride is complete.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
MakoMania

I think it is highly unlikely that the Flume is staying. The ride is old, not very exciting and it is rotting. It is listed for removal in the LTDP and Alton themselves said it is going.

Just want a nice RMC (maybe launched) there now :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
theparklifekid

Yeah, i agree with you but incase it does happen, here is my plan...

So here we have the flume site

And here is my very bad plan on how the ride could be built. (Red is that water area which could easily be filled in and White is my SW8 site.)

The ride could interact with the flumes circuit and The Flume would receive a retheme.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Owen

If that were the case it wouldn't be necessary to close the entire flume site off, so it's very very unlikely that a ride will be going here. :)