Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
xylyx

This is one of the most intriguing bits of recent info, I was so wrapped up in the Galactica fun and the awesome TLC updates I'd forgotten about the possibility of a new ride....colour me interested :D
stealthsmiler

Part of AT plan maybe? Distract people with updates that aren't actually new rides until people have gotten over the Smiler incident before announcing a whole new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MakoMania

With The Smiler incident still lingering in the GPs' minds, I'd think that a new water ride would be more marketable than a new rollercoaster currently. After all, Merlin say 2017 attendance may still be affected by the incident.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Justin

It is quite possible that it could be a coaster, and that it shouldn't be ruled out because of The Smiler.

Next year will mark The Smilers' 4th birthday, and if the now 4 year cycle continues, I personally would like to see some form of coaster on the Flume site. I think anything less would be disappointing as it could make the part less attractive towards thrillseekers.

Even with the DBGT investment (4 years on from The Swarm) I do believe Thorpe needs another coaster soon too!
dazza4783

Tom170499 wrote:
Alex wrote:
NemesisRider wrote:If there are major investments in 2017 and 2018 then the 2017 one won't need planning permission or much planning permission. Something I'd love to see but I doubt would happen is a MACK water coaster as a Flume replacement in 2017, and the SW8 woodie in 2018.
I doubt there would be two consecutive years of high investment. Realistically I can't see merlin building a woodie until they restore the publics faith in AT.
Which would suggest to me that there's been another Oblivion/Air scenario and the plans have been swapped meaning SW8 is most likely gonna be on the Flume site for next year if they are wanting to get started with construction by the end of the 2016 season. Exciting times lie ahead :)
If they were planning on opening a new coaster next season surely they would have submitted a planning application by now. Or is The Flume in an area that doesn't need a planning application like The Smiler (planning application was submitted for The Smiler but was only needed for the buildings, not the coaster itself).
ry1996

^I was thinking the same thing, but if they're planning on starting construction on the site before the end of the season then my feeling is that it would be for something in 2017 and not 2018
MakoMania

I'd imagine that the area closer to mutiny bay would be easier to get planning permission than the side near Gloomy Wood. I don't know for sure though. I highly doubt that whatever replaces The Flume will take up the entire site.
dazza4783

ry1996 wrote:^I was thinking the same thing, but if they're planning on starting construction on the site before the end of the season then my feeling is that it would be for something in 2017 and not 2018
By construction they could just mean that that is when they plan to actually remove The Flume. Then get the site ready for it's replacement during the off season, and then start actual construction of the new ride during the 2017 season once they have received planning permission. I think there is more likely to be a couple of new flat rides next season rather than a big new coaster.
Jacko11111

This may be another piece of evidence for y'all.

Liam.W

Jacko11111 wrote:This may be another piece of evidence for y'all.

I believe this (or similar) has been posted before. But anyway, it is exciting that they have something planned already!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Aidan Lowe

As much as people are hoping for another water ride I personally would like a launched wooden coaster in that area.

I know some people thought one would be in FV and perhaps cross-valley and that's been put on hold but a wooden coaster would fit in better on the flume site as it'll be in an area with RMT & CRR. And Katanga Canyon is the last of the I'd say 'upper guest' areas to have a larger coaster.

Also maintenance, construction etc of a valley coaster given its isolated spot would be quite bad.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Michelle

Personally I think a woodie in that area would be spot on. The park definitely needs to replace the Flume with a decent water ride, but with Battle Galleons and CRR already in the park... a woodie is something I'd like to see first.
MakoMania

World's first wooden water coaster :lol
Ladyofthelake

I have to say I'm in two minds about what I'd like to see if SW8 does turn out to be on the site of The Flume. Whilst it would be good to see a wooden coaster, and a woodie would compliment the coaster line-up perfectly at Towers, on the other hand I think it would be good to replace The Flume with another stand out water ride. In my mind a flume is almost a key element of any theme park and I really struggle to think of a park which doesn't have one. I'd love to see something along the lines of a water coaster, although whether there is the space or scope to have one in that area I'm not sure.
stealthsmiler

I think a water ride is in greater need right now to be honest. This year Alton Towers have just removed two water rides, one offering a more thrilling water ride experience and one offering a classic experience, leaving a gap in their water ride line up. We need a good water ride like Valhalla but themed to pirates. This will fill the gap in the water ride line up and also a gap in the dark ride line up that I think AT has

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan.B

Having thought about it, I can't see a water ride going into the flume lake, there are restrictions on new water rides that they can't splash down use untreated water from natural lakes, as far as I'm aware the flume lake is classed as a natural lake, so a new water ride couldn't utilise it. I believe the same rule applies for loggers, hence why that hasn't been removed. If any large ride is going on this site, I feel like it will be a wooden coaster, unless they drained the lake and started extensive work to build a man made lake, for a new water ride, I believe they can build any large buildings on this site, which if true rules out a giant water/dark ride like Valhalla so I can't really see much more than flats or a wooden coaster, and if there is a water ride, it won't enter that water, plus, I would expect it to be a Katanga Canyon ride, with the entrance in that area.
xylyx

I would love a Vallhalla style ride at AT, that would be incredible as I feel that it's BPB's ace in the hole. However it does cost a fortune to run, and with the Smiler requiring a new substation to not break the park's power I can't see them stumping for something so costly in the long term, unless of course they know of a way to run it cheaply, without cheapening the experience.
Whoguru5

If SW8 really does end up where the flume I'm hoping that it becomes apart of the mutiny bay theme, I found it disappointing when the flume was not changed to match the area but if a new coaster/water ride where placed there I think the chance of it being linked with mutiny bay is high.

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
MakoMania

If ya'll go on TS's 2017-2018 attraction thread, they've uncovered some pretty nice info! Some guy working on 2017 & 2018 attractions for AT.

I would post, but I have no idea how to post pictures in here. Sorry :lol
Aidan Lowe

I believe it was discussed yesterday in the shoutbox.

The guy in question is Bradley Wynne.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc