Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
dazza4783

Themepark247360 wrote:Can you imagine after all this it turns out to be a Vekoma :)
Well Vekoma have a deal to sell RMC coasters in Europe so yes it is quite likely to be a "Vekoma".
MakoMania

You know what I mean
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Sr88

Themepark247360 wrote:Can you imagine after all this it turns out to be a Vekoma :)
I would be laughing.. quite hard. :lol
Ripsaw Raver

Just a small spanner in the woodie works here.... hasn't Paramount Park got a big woodie on the project list...maybe this could be RMCs UK contribution. As much as I would love to see a RMC at Alton I do fear the space all the wooden supports would take up which inturn could make the layout suffer,besides i really think an RMC woodie would suit DF so much more, this is why i think we might be looking at a Mack looper, Same tight transitions and somthing akin to Helix could really suit FV, maybe themed as a Phalanx Military Transport,(PMT the ride haha) where some Nemesis Radiation has sent the track awry. Or although abit too like Rita ,you have to escape and get out of the valley and the Phalanx transport is the only way out...just some ideas lol
dazza4783

Ripsaw Raver wrote:Just a small spanner in the woodie works here.... hasn't Paramount Park got a big woodie on the project list...maybe this could be RMCs UK contribution. As much as I would love to see a RMC at Alton I do fear the space all the wooden supports would take up which inturn could make the layout suffer,besides i really think an RMC woodie would suit DF so much more, this is why i think we might be looking at a Mack looper, Same tight transitions and somthing akin to Helix could really suit FV, maybe themed as a Phalanx Military Transport,(PMT the ride haha) where some Nemesis Radiation has sent the track awry. Or although abit too like Rita ,you have to escape and get out of the valley and the Phalanx transport is the only way out...just some ideas lol
Since when did Mack start constructing their loopers with Wooden trusses?
And if this ride is a cross valley ride then it will be in Dark Forest as well as Forbidden Valley.
Ripsaw Raver

Oh sorry i didnt realise wooden trusses were confirmed ,my bad lol
bbooth2

Just because they are clearing trees around the forbidden valley area, doesn't mean that the ride is going to be based in forbidden valley...

nobody yet in this forum has mentioned the clearance in the trees in the dark forest

the area this has cleared up is absolutely massive, this thing could be themed to suit either dark forest or forbidden valley. heck it could even be a new area as the trees are cleared right up to the haunted hollow...

the fences that have been put up along side the hotel pathway look permanent. as if they are separating the woods from forbidden valley entirely

the evidence is all there, ill take some pictures on Sunday when I visit :)
Capt.Barnacles

The planning application describes the new ride to be in a location 'nearby nemesis' and '75m away from the listed Prospect tower'. You can read more about it in the article on TT's homepage: http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/blog/2015/ ... -revealed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bbooth2

ive read through the articles, but last I visited the skyride journey over the valley to dark forest was all cleared, I just feel like there's a correlation
dazza4783

bbooth2 wrote:ive read through the articles, but last I visited the skyride journey over the valley to dark forest was all cleared, I just feel like there's a correlation
I think the official reason given for the tree removal was that they were diseased and needed removing. But I guess seeing as they needed removing anyway might aswell put a rollercoaster in their place :D

Also, if it does go into Dark Forest, will it mean that they will remove Rita to fit this in there?
bbooth2

sounds plausible.

the trees that have been removed by dark forest are more towards the back end of thirteen, it doesn't acctualy interfere with dark forest,

as you walk into the queue for thirteen its all cleared to the left of the queue line

if you ride the skyride, the open space in the woods is absolutely massive
MakoMania

Would Alton need to submit planning permission for a flat ride in Dark Forest? They didn"t submit for Octonauts so I'm just curious? Did they submit plans for Sub-Terra?
Altonboy001

Themepark247360 wrote:Would Alton need to submit planning permission for a flat ride in Dark Forest? They didn"t submit for Octonauts so I'm just curious? Did they submit plans for Sub-Terra?
yes!!! http://www.towersplans.org/applications ... 0005000003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mark_h

They won't need planning permission if they build a flat ride in an area of permitted development (subject to height, noise, environmental, listed building and other restrictions).

A map of the permitted development areas can be found on page 142 (labelled 139) of the Churnet Valley Masterplan (the document you want is called Adopted Churnet Valley Masterplan Supplementary Planning Document - March 2014).
Javs

My god. All these years of speculation over a cross valley woodie. Could this finally be it!? If the location reported is correct I would imagine it is!
Jammydodger

There has been tree felling all over the park though. FV, Dark Forest, Gloomy Woods, even the areas like the service road between Sonic Spinball and The Smiler have all been HUGELY culled.
I think they're just being over cautious after all the havok caused by last years high winds.
Besides, for the most part all of these locations still have the trunk left intact. Surely they'd need to be removing the whole base and roots if they're gonna be building a ride there.

As for the Timber truss, it could be possible that they've negotiated this with the local council already as a condition of construction. If its wooden, then its less likely to upset the aesthetic of the woodland area. Kind of like Stealth and its Blue and White paint.
Ryan.B

The area where it's around already has quite a few trees felled so it might end up being even less than stated cut down, as that area and quite a lot of the parks trees are at risk of some kind of disease. Wooden truss would fit in with the environment and if an hybrid with steel track would mean it would be quieter and fit in with natural surroundings better making it more beneficial to the area than a normal steel or wooden coaster, either way this could easily beat the majority of rides in the UK, Alton and maybe even be one of the highest ranked coasters in the world. I'll said it before and I'll say it again - it seems a perfect height for a launched terrain coaster!
MakoMania

With all this Wicked Cyclone footage out there now it shows what RMC can do with not a very tall ride-it looks amazing! Imagine what they could do with a launch here at Alton Towers. I'm personally hoping for a 55mph top speed with 2-3 inversions one with a bit of hang time and lots of airtime moments. Really hope this happens for SW8!
Ryan.B

Themepark247360 wrote:With all this Wicked Cyclone footage out there now it shows what RMC can do with not a very tall ride-it looks amazing! Imagine what they could do with a launch here at Alton Towers. I'm personally hoping for a 55mph top speed with 2-3 inversions one with a bit of hang time and lots of airtime moments. Really hope this happens for SW8!
plus the land near by is steep! Also could anyone possibly find a birds eye map and draw an circle around th prospect tower, 75 meters each way to get an idea where it could be located.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Ryan.B wrote:Also could anyone possibly find a birds eye map and draw an circle around th prospect tower, 75 meters each way to get an idea where it could be located.
There is such an image in our news article. The most likely area for it is along the side of Forbidden Valley.