Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
NemesisRider

You mean like Rita? Cheap but make more than an SW?
sw7nutter

Yeah, despite my hatred for rita it did do well.
RCandrew

Tbh, a normal but great coaster for the next big instalment would be more unique than a unique worlds first :lol only in AT!
NemesisRider

Yeah. Or just have a tiny world first and make it Britain's fastest coaster...

Make the world first the part that is not marketed.
Themeparksandy1981

I think the park lack a coaster for all the family. Like its 22 years since the RMT was added and in that time they removed the beastie and the apple coaster. Just look at both Drayton Manors family coasters.
NemesisRider

What about 13 and Sonic Spinball? Are they not family-friendly enough?
sw7nutter

13 is a family ride but wasn't marketed as one so it doesn't really count. Sonic can be fairly intimidating to someone who is only used to the low thrills of the RMT.
Themeparksandy1981

Yeah but the min height is 1.2m for both coasters which is the average height of a 7 year old. But the RMT is 0.9m with a adult and 1.1m on there own which means my nearly 2 year old should be tall enough by her next birthday to go on Ben 10 and the RMT with us but we have to wait another 5 years to we can think about taking her on 1.2m coasters/rides.
Also on the main Alton Towers site http://www.altontowers.com/rides-and-attractions/
13 is still classed as a thrill ride as well as the blade.
Sr88

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:I think the park lack a coaster for all the family. Like its 22 years since the RMT was added and in that time they removed the beastie and the apple coaster. Just look at both Drayton Manors family coasters.
I agree. It does lack a lot now, and the existing coasters are definitely too big for some children, who are too big for the Squirrel Nutty (I'm going to continue to call it that).

It could be done as a smaller investment though, so it doesn't have to be the major money spender.
Themeparksandy1981

Like Ben 10 you got to be 1.2m to ride alone or between 1.0 to 1.2m with a adult and I got like that coaster and the coaster in thomasland. Both are more thrilling and faster than the Runaway mine train.
NemesisRider

Still, a young family ride would not be an SW.

Still, what type are we expecting? I would probably guess we will get an SW like Air, quite gentle but still very good, or an "Oblivion" (total thrills ride).
Luviico

Oh my, hadn't visited this topic in a while and I found myself getting increasingly frustrated throughout catching up on the past 20 or so pages.

No official statements/plans have been released yet so can people please stop making statements as 'facts' when they are anything but. So many rumours fly around but unless you have actual proof to back up your claims then don't bother. AT haven't formally announced anything regarding ride removals/rides moving/replacements or even the ludicrous claim about the monorail removal/new entrance. Everything here, including the impending SW8 is speculation! nobody here knows anything more than anyone else.

Now that I have got that out of the way (I apologise for being ranty but it just really riles me) I can offer my opinions on SW8. I still favour the option of the removal of the flume in replacement for a new updated unique water ride. We all know that the flume is on its last legs and a thrilling water ride/coaster is something which would really benefit the park and make it stand out even more. The Smiler is an intense ride and something which only appeals to thrill seekers so I can't see the next big development being similar and aiming for the same market. We've just had Cbeebies land which caters for the young guests so it makes sense for the next addition to be family friendly. Nothing too extreme but something which appeals to everyone such as a dark water ride with a few twists. Personally I see the flume site as the most likely place and we have actual fact to prove that soon this area will be free to be developed on. Although on the other hand AT could wait and use this space for SW9. I used to think the idea of SW8 appearing in Gloomy Wood was ridiculous but the pending removal of trees and the rumour about Duel's removal has made me rethink. If this is the case I can't see the theme of Gloomy Wood sticking, the area will be more opened up and to have an area with only one attraction doesn't really make much sense. With Duel it did as the area is supposed to be secluded for the theme to work well. So we could see an expansive coaster here? if the room allows it. Gloomy Wood has long been forgotten about in a way and it is in need of a revamp. If you look at the recent coaster additions they have all been in areas which was in need of something new. Forbidden Valley had only one coaster so Air appeared, Ug Land was getting old so a re-theme took place and Thir13teen arrived, X-Sector saw the Black Hole removed so The Smiler replaced it. This is why I can't see SW8 being built in Forbidden Valley, it has recently seen the introduction of Sub Terra and despite the rumours Ripsaw and Blade haven't been confirmed to be leaving the park yet. Forbidden Valley is simply not an area in the most need of change right now however Katanga Canyon, the Flume site and Gloomy Wood could desperately do with it.
Alex

The new entrance is hardly "ludicrous" considering it was mentioned in the LTDP, so AT have clearly thought about the possibility.
Danny

Getting rid of the monorail and moving the entrance to Gloomy Wood and use Towers Street as a new area was all in the LTDP and possibilities. So they are more than just rumours and clearly if they are in the LTDP it's something that has a decent chance of actually happening.
stealthsmiler

Also Ripsaw, the Flume and The Blade were suggested in the LTDP to be removed along with the the new gloomy wood entrance (something which I am against as I feel that A the area would be too crowded and B it is nice walking in looking at the towers). So even though it is just speculation, they are educated guesses going off of previous knowledge of what Merlin are like and the LTDP which was released by AT.

CCL, Duel and areas around FV were all highlighted as areas for development which so it could be likely that SW8 goes in one of those spots. Also I think a large scale dark ride was mentioned in the LTDP which reinforces the idea that SW8/9 will be a duel replacement, although it could be a whole new one and Duel could just get a revamp.
NemesisRider

stealthsmiler wrote:Also Ripsaw, the Flume and The Blade were suggested in the LTDP to be removed along with the the new gloomy wood entrance (something which I am against as I feel that A the area would be too crowded and B it is nice walking in looking at the towers). So even though it is just speculation, they are educated guesses going off of previous knowledge of what Merlin are like and the LTDP which was released by AT.

CCL, Duel and areas around FV were all highlighted as areas for development which so it could be likely that SW8 goes in one of those spots. Also I think a large scale dark ride was mentioned in the LTDP which reinforces the idea that SW8/9 will be a duel replacement, although it could be a whole new one and Duel could just get a revamp.
I think SW9 will be the dark ride. If it was in/on Duel then surely Duel would be removed at the end of this season. Also, if FV needs a revamp and SW8 is a speculated B and M, I think the ride could go there to boost the amount of people it attracts. I'm sure someone said Nemesis and Air don't get the queues they deserve, so why not?
118hazaman

nemesisrider wrote: I think SW9 will be the dark ride. If it was in/on Duel then surely Duel would be removed at the end of this season. Also, if FV needs a revamp and SW8 is a speculated B and M, I think the ride could go there to boost the amount of people it attracts. I'm sure someone said Nemesis and Air don't get the queues they deserve, so why not?
As stated earlier by someone else SW8 being in the FV would attract a large amount of people to that area, helping to lengthen the short queues of Nemesis and Air. However, I don't think SW8 will be in the FV as it does not lack quality or need to be 'revamped' or 'revived'. Somewhere else like the Flume site, or near duel would be more suitable in my eyes.
Sr88

To be honest I wouldn't get any hopes up on a dark ride. They are obviously popular with everybody here, but I can see AT going for something simpler and more straightforward for the next few developments, and I don't think much of the general public are actually that bothered.

That's just my perception though.
sw7nutter

Thorpes next large investment is a dark ride, i doubt that Alton's would be as well.
Sr88

It would definitely seem like an attempt to copy Thorpe if they did go for one. It is supposed to be the other way round ;)