Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
sw7nutter

Well the KC standup was planned of that area so clearly John thought a coaster in that area could work. However there was probably more than just the fact standups are gimmicky which stopped its creation.
RCandrew

Well it doesn't have to be a standup... Maybe just a floorless or anything!
Alex

It definitely wont be a stand up so I dont see why that keeps getting brought up :-s
DavidA

Have we had any info from alton towers saying they are even working on sw8? I remember we where told really early they was working on sw7. If it is going to open in 2016 like most people think, When do you think we will see planning going in? I'd say about end of October.
sw7nutter

For a ride in 2016 i would expect planning permission around march 2015.
Also i never said it would be a stand up i was saying that the reason the stand up didnt go ahead was probally becuase of more than 1 reason.
RCandrew

Maybe at the time they just decided to go with another idea.. maybe Thirteen, Air I don't know when this was but there has probably been a lot of rides that didn't go ahead, doesn't mean they won't use the same idea or location in the future :)
DavidA

I think planning would have to go in earlier than March. Sw7's Went in late December. As we all know that opened late, so I really think they will get it in earlier this time round. As for the stand up did John not say it was dropped because of the cost of having to dig a hole around the same size as oblivions. and that stand up coaster where not that popular anymore?
sw7nutter

Just because a ride opened late doesn't mean planning permission will go in early. Planning permission has very little relevance to when work begins. The second it is approved they can start construction. Sw7 was late because of the never ending rain, that was pretty much the only reason.
DavidA

So if its something like a flume replacement or the cross valley or even on the car park all of which will need a lot of landscaping and ground work we could see it a lot earlier. For air i'm sure they had already started a lot of ground work before the start of the season. But have no idea when planning was submitted.
RCandrew

That's true. We saw the planning for SW7 in December then construction etc and the landscaping that got done wasn't all that much except taking down the tent which was really quick. If it's replacing the flume it would take a lot more time and if it's a cross valley then it will definitely take a lot more time! :)
sw7nutter

It will not be cross valley. Almost every tree in that valley is protected so for a ride to go there would have to have a very precise layout.
RCandrew

And maybe it does ;)

Haha but what I actually mean is compared to the Smiler, wherever the next SW goes it will take a lot longer to prepare and a bigger hole will probably be needed wherever it is! :lol
NemesisRider

DavidA wrote:Have we had any info from alton towers saying they are even working on sw8? I remember we where told really early they was working on sw7. If it is going to open in 2016 like most people think, When do you think we will see planning going in? I'd say about end of October.
SW8 should be 2017. All the major rides since Nemmy have been 4 years apart (excluding the Smiler and 13.)

AT could do a great, total different floorless. Maybe launched for the SW aspect. I know this has been discussed earlier, but it seems like just an amazing idea to me.
Coasterfellow

I have never ridden a floorless and i dont really see what makes them better than any other coaster type. Has anyone ridden a floorless and if so could you tell me what they are like.
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
Benji

Alton towers already have an extensive range of coaster types in their park with different experiences. So I'm hoping that SW8, or even if that's what it will be code named as, will develop this range even further. Having been on shockwave at Drayton Manor, I feel that they could work a stand-up coaster with a more thrilling layout and obviously with a better manufacturer, then just tweek the old plans that John Wardley mentioned or go for a completely new layout at a different site.
However, having said that, shockwave is only just round the corner and a stand-up might not draw in the crowds they are hoping for, so whatever they go for I hope it offers a different experience. Ditch the gimmicky world firsts too and build a good solid roller coaster with a higher theming budget and a better finish! The smiler already looks like it's been in operation longer than nemmy! :lol
sadie123

I'd love to see a new rollercoaster ride at the park come next season, however, the money spent on The Smiler will negate that. The planned holiday villages for 2015 season will also cost money. The issue is then other parks will be getting more complex, future proof rides and Towers will have a 2-3 year old The Smiler and possibly unable to maintain it as efficiently as when it was new.
I feel that Towers should not have to compete with Thorpe Park, as in getting similar rides. Towers is inherently different to Thorpe Park and should maintain its individuality.
SW8 should be something original. I'd love to say a 4D ride, however, I am concerned that that is just the flavour of the month, when in fact we should be wanting the 'new' Smiler.
Sr88

Yeah, I can imagine in 10 years a 4D coaster being a bit old and not that interesting, everybody being bored of it.
RCandrew

They really lack just a sit down coaster with hills :( as simple as that! The smiler is just loop after loop, Rita's about the launch, Oblivion has it's drop and the beginning of Thirteen isn't that good! They just need one long sit down with air time hills and maybe a few inversions!
NemesisRider

The problem is AT don't have the space for a long steel sit down! AT have height restrictions and they may have some space problems. That is the excuse for no long steel sit down coaster at AT.

Still, AT hate "ordinary" coasters.
sw7nutter

Alton towers would do well to install a non world first ride. What is wrong with a normal ride every now and then. If the marketing department are good enough they can sell anything.