Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Sr88

awsomelycoolboy wrote:I was thinking worlds first inverted stand up.. But I would DEFINATLEY love a worlds fastest. Always have a need for speed. We need a ride that goes 150+MPH to break the old record of 149MPH
I was quite literally just about to suggest a world's fastest myself! Was about to post but you just beat me to it! I have a good idea, which I will post in a minute.

(Edit made 1 minute later)

Okay, here are 2 ideas:

1. Roller coaster launches multiple times (and can start from anywhere), and goes straight around the perimeter of the entire park.

2. Roller coaster launches from Forbidden Valley, between Nemesis and the Skyride station (Ripsaw is moved), and goes flying down to Katanga Canyon, back up to Forbidden Valley, then launches again, goes flying across the Valley over to the Dark Forest, and back.

Then there is a toilet at the end.
Last edited by Sr88 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgie

Yeah, not gonna happen. The current record holder requires goggles just to wear it.. Anymore would never happen in a H&S obsessed country like this one.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
NemesisRider

Everyone, brace yourself.

He has... a good idea...

:nervious:
Sr88

Haha!! ;) Just edited my previous post so it is available a little up the page.
Sr88

GThing64 wrote:Yeah, not gonna happen. The current record holder requires goggles just to wear it.. Anymore would never happen in a H&S obsessed country like this one.
This one would require nappies too!
RCandrew

I've posted a while back on the worlds first topic about a stand up inverted, I think it would be a great idea! And brand new!

Also, many parks have multiple launch coasters and I really don't get why AT doesn't considering they can't really go up high either! It would make sense if they had 2 even 3 completely different launching coasters. I think a multi-launch coaster would be great because it may not be focused on the launch, if it was B&M even it could just be like the Incredible Hulk so basically just a fast lift hill to add more speed if the hill can't be that high :) But considering The Smiler is so long I have a feeling they will focus on a small 'gimmick' for the next SW and that it will probably be B&M (at least that would probably be great) so the money would mostly get spent on that. I would love a really long multi launch coaster though and it's something AT needs! :)
Sr88

RCandrew wrote:I've posted a while back on the worlds first topic about a stand up inverted, I think it would be a great idea! And brand new!
It would certainly be interesting, and very scary. Trouble is with stand ups not being so popular, etc. Maybe AT could set the trend!
RCandrew wrote:Also, many parks have multiple launch coasters and I really don't get why AT doesn't considering they can't really go up high either! It would make sense if they had 2 even 3 completely different launching coasters. I think a multi-launch coaster would be great because it may not be focused on the launch, if it was B&M even it could just be like the Incredible Hulk so basically just a fast lift hill to add more speed if the hill can't be that high :) But considering The Smiler is so long I have a feeling they will focus on a small 'gimmick' for the next SW and that it will probably be B&M (at least that would probably be great) so the money would mostly get spent on that. I would love a really long multi launch coaster though and it's something AT needs! :)
I agree, and I can't help but feel a little disappointed that the world's first on The Smiler wasn't also a vertical launch (but equally not surprised, and I still love it!)
NemesisRider

Is there any vertical launches? It would be cool but hard, practically impossible.

Adz just took down the Rant at Merlin forum. Such a shame.

Though would anyone want there entire body hanging out? It would feel like you would just fall and die.
sw7nutter

Gertsluaer do have vertical launchs. They use linear magnetic induction just before the lift which powers it up.
Sam198

^ Wicked's hardware is Zierer, not Gerstlauer, and it's an LSM launch, not LIM.

The vertical LSMs don't really act as a launch at all, as the train enters them at a higher speed than it exits (following the more conventional indoor launch), meaning they merely exist as an alternative (admittedly more interesting) form of propulsion to a chain, cresting the high point at normal lift speed anyway.
NemesisRider

So B and M's launches are spinning tyres.

Could they do multi launch B and M? If it is just wheels it would be possible.
NemesisRider

Does anyone know the coaster with the most time upside down? At could beat that with the world's slowest inversion or a new type of inversion.
RCandrew

I highly doubt anything will be focused on an inversion or anything like that for the next SW.
Chaz

nemesisrider wrote:So B and M's launches are spinning tyres.

Could they do multi launch B and M? If it is just wheels it would be possible.
Do we know this? B&M claim to have launch tech but it's is yet to be seen on any of their rides. It could be any type of launch no? Unless I've missed something?
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
NemesisRider

Incredible Hulk coaster was launched! Why does everyone forget it? It's B&M!

I've said this a million times.
Chaz

nemesisrider wrote:Incredible Hulk coaster was launched! Why does everyone forget it? It's B&M!

I've said this a million times.
The coaster is launched indeed but the launch wasn't done by B&M, that was all designed, manufactured, tested and implemented by Universal. They wanted to work with B&M on the ride, but they didn't do launches so they had to produce it themselves.

There is a video somewhere of Universal Creative building a wooden shaft and determining the angle and thrust they'd need.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
wakey1512

nemesisrider wrote:You expect AT to break that record? You expect a lot.

Inverted stand up? Like, you are held in at the top with no chair and your entire body dangles down.

My hands have gone numb from being at the computer so long. ](*,)
I laughed out loud at the thought of that. Seriously though have you seen the intamin drop towers with stand up seats? No floor and it would work in a very similar fashion.

Also, B&M pride themselves in their expertise with gravity based roller coaster designs. I'd have thought they'd be open to expansion after all of these years but are well aware that intamin and vekoma own some fundamental patents for the necessary technology.

The friction wheel launch is demanding and costly. Most parks would see absolutely no advantage in that whatsoever.
NemesisRider

wakey1512 wrote:

Inverted stand up? Like, you are held in at the top with no chair and your entire body dangles down.

I laughed out loud at the thought of that. Seriously though have you seen the intamin drop towers with stand up seats? No floor and it would work in a very similar fashion.
Which bit made you laugh out loud?

Do we have any idea when the permission will go in for SW8? I would assume 2015 for a 2017 ride.
wakey1512

nemesisrider wrote:
wakey1512 wrote:

Which bit made you laugh out loud?

Do we have any idea when the permission will go in for SW8? I would assume 2015 for a 2017 ride.
The thought of a rider only being secured by his armpits and the rest of him/her being able to dangle :lol :lol

Who's to say we will get an SW8 for the next 5 years?
Sr88

Given that Merlin want to develop, expand, and improve Alton Towers along with their development plan, it is pretty safe to assume there will be one within the next few years.