Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
118hazaman

Rita is a good ride, it's different from the others and gives more variety to the park. However it could have been done better, track layout and theming wise. I kind off hope SW8 has a launch, but then that discards the use of B&M as the company. So, I don't really know what I want ha ha
sw7nutter

As stated earlier i would be amazed if sw8 wasn't B&M.
118hazaman

I suppose. But I hope that SW8 has some kind off LSM/LIM launch because a launch like that isn't seen in Alton Towers. As long as it uses the terrain more or weaves in and out of the tree line, I'm sure it could be considered different to Rita and not overlap target audiences.
NemesisRider

They could try multiple launches. I think Rita's launch is better than Stealth's because you feel the acceleration much more. It can destroy your face! :lol

Rita is like Air, more appropriate for all.

Could for the world first the first floorless launched coaster be possible? That would be cool. Or for the worlds first 70mph floorless rollercoaster!
NemesisRider

118hazaman wrote:Rita is a good ride, it's different from the others and gives more variety to the park. However it could have been done better, track layout and theming wise. I kind off hope SW8 has a launch, but then that discards the use of B&M as the company. So, I don't really know what I want ha ha
Errm, what about The Incredible Hulk coaster? Everyone forgets about it just because it is another companies launch.
Jack

^and that B&M now do launches themselves ;)

I think, as I have said before, Mack would be absolutely perfect for a launch coaster at Towers, especially if Rita is taken out :)
NemesisRider

No, I meant the floorless launch for when Rita is still here. If they market it differently, just use the speed as a slogan. An Intamin Rita style launch is different to a more stealth-ish launch on a floorless coaster, right?
Coasterfellow

I think alton towers will get a roller coaster which has a launch but not as its main feature. Something like the launch on big grizzly mountain at HKDL.
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
118hazaman

nemesisrider wrote:No, I meant the floorless launch for when Rita is still here. If they market it differently, just use the speed as a slogan. An Intamin Rita style launch is different to a more stealth-ish launch on a floorless coaster, right?
Stealth and Rita are launched using the exact same methods. Both are made by Intamin, and both use an Hydraulic Launch. Except Rita goes to 60mph, and Stealth to 80mph.
sw7nutter

Stealth has more hydraulic cylinders which gives it a faster acceleration and an greater top speed. However apart from that the overall design of the launch system is the same. Hulks launch is just fast spinning tyres and is more a fast lift rather than a launch. B&M dont do launch systems as there expensive to develop and the main ways have been trade marked.
NemesisRider

Stealth's launch feels more even though, a more gradual acceleration, whereas Rita's is a fast jolt that speeds up.

Well, let's hope B&M are up for doing more fast launches, it would work well for AT.
sw7nutter

Odd as im quite sure stealth's acceleration is greater. SW8 wont be a launch ride, it will be a new ride type from B&M which will be 100% gimmick as Alton would have to spend an amazing amount of money on digging a hole to compete globally.
Alex

sw7nutter wrote:Stealth has more hydraulic cylinders which gives it a faster acceleration and an greater top speed. However apart from that the overall design of the launch system is the same. Hulks launch is just fast spinning tyres and is more a fast lift rather than a launch. B&M dont do launch systems as there expensive to develop and the main ways have been trade marked.
Well B&M have developed a launch system just no one has bought one yet ;)
stealthsmiler

I wouldn't say Alton need a hole to complete globally if they used a multi launch coaster. A multi launch coaster could be ground hugging whilst giving some good speed, air time hills and intense inversions. Plus if it were to weave its way in around the trees, there could be some great, natural and free near misses. Also it wouldn't have to be completely ground hugging as it could go at least as high as Blivy and the smiler.

This obviously would work only for one coaster though.
sw7nutter

Alex wrote:
sw7nutter wrote:Stealth has more hydraulic cylinders which gives it a faster acceleration and an greater top speed. However apart from that the overall design of the launch system is the same. Hulks launch is just fast spinning tyres and is more a fast lift rather than a launch. B&M dont do launch systems as there expensive to develop and the main ways have been trade marked.
Well B&M have developed a launch system just no one has bought one yet ;)
That one has slipped under my radar, got any details on how it works? If no one has bought it yet then i think that should be slightly worrying.
Alex

I dont know any specifics but from what I have heard it would add a significant increase to the price of the coaster hence why no one has probably gone for it
Sr88

nemesisrider wrote:Everyone, just state who you want to build SW8.
B&M would be my choice, but then again, I'm not paying for it ;)
nemesisrider wrote:Could for the world first the first floorless launched coaster be possible? That would be cool. Or for the worlds first 70mph floorless rollercoaster!
That would be good. It wouldn't be a gimmick either, as it's simply two well established and experienced ideas combined together. Plus, if marketed right, could be a great success with the general public!
NemesisRider

Sr88 wrote:
nemesisrider wrote:Could for the world first the first floorless launched coaster be possible? That would be cool. Or for the worlds first 70mph floorless rollercoaster!
That would be good. It wouldn't be a gimmick either, as it's simply two well established and experienced ideas combined together. Plus, if marketed right, could be a great success with the general public!
I agree on B&M. Nemmy and Blivvy are great rides.
Is it strange we have only given nicknames to the B&M's? Or am I just uneducated on the matter?

We need a world first that is not too gimmicky this time around. Not a record breaker, they can't be too gimmicky in my opinion. A fastest in UK could perhaps work but would be hard. First launched floorless sounds better now I think about it a bit more...
awsomelycoolboy

nemesisrider wrote:
Sr88 wrote:
I agree on B&M. Nemmy and Blivvy are great rides.
Is it strange we have only given nicknames to the B&M's? Or am I just uneducated on the matter?

We need a world first that is not too gimmicky this time around. Not a record breaker, they can't be too gimmicky in my opinion. A fastest in UK could perhaps work but would be hard. First launched floorless sounds better now I think about it a bit more...
I was thinking worlds first inverted stand up.. But I would DEFINATLEY love a worlds fastest. Always have a need for speed. We need a ride that goes 150+MPH to break the old record of 149MPH
NemesisRider

You expect AT to break that record? You expect a lot.

Inverted stand up? Like, you are held in at the top with no chair and your entire body dangles down.

My hands have gone numb from being at the computer so long. ](*,)