Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
NemesisRider

Oblivion will not spin. AT won't get another spinning coaster, they have Sonic Spinball which is popular. AT should not let themselves become a B and M test area.

Oblivion feels so classic though. Something small, 1 inversion, that would work. But a full circuit... that would be flogging a dead horse.

Sorry, Oblivion is great just an OTT extension could spoil it in my opinion.
Coasterfellow

Back on the subject of SW8. I hope that the next large investment will be in katanga cayon. Instead of a roller coaster they should get a launched freefall towers for an SW8. It could be built largely underground to keep wiht tight height restrictions.
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
Danny

Coasterfellow wrote:Back on the subject of SW8. I hope that the next large investment will be in katanga cayon. Instead of a roller coaster they should get a launched freefall towers for an SW8. It could be built largely underground to keep wiht tight height restrictions.
With N:ST opening only 2 years ago, which is a drop ride largely underground I can't imagine them investing in another drop ride so soon
NemesisRider

I hope it is not a drop tower. I want it to be a coaster!

What type will it be? Floorless would be likely and the stand-up is apparently shelved. Would it be Intamin, they are often steel sit down. Gertslauer is unlikely but hey, they did 13 after Rita.
sw7nutter

nemesisrider wrote:I hope it is not a drop tower. I want it to be a coaster!

What type will it be? Floorless would be likely and the stand-up is apparently shelved. Would it be Intamin, they are often steel sit down. Gertslauer is unlikely but hey, they did 13 after Rita.
13 is intamin, rita is intamin. The only Gerstlauer is The smiler. I expect it to be B&M floorless as its a different ride type they dont have.
NemesisRider

I meant B and M floorless. They would not do another Gertslauer infinity anytime soon. Not a Eurofighter, because TP have Saw the ride.

Again, they can do a lot with a floorless.
sw7nutter

I am still amazed merlin went with Gertslauer, imo they don't suit major parks and really belong to smaller parks with small budgets. Im sure B&M or intamin could have provided a better alternative to SW7. Im quite sure that the next ride will be either B&M or mack. B&M could offer a very nice floorless or maybe even a stand up, a mack would offer a multi launch. Multi launch would be great for Alton as they can stay low and offer great thrills.
NemesisRider

Gerstlauer are the only people who do vertical lifts, like The Smiler has.
Really? Just because it had tech problems it does not mean other companies would have done a better job.
Last edited by lewis97 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mispelling of Gerstlauer as Fertiliser
sw7nutter

Saw has very similar technical problems and im almost certain the smiler will have the same horrible head banging in a year or 2. The smiler, like saw, has huge jolts in set places and both of them have a terrible throughput. You will be looking for a very long time to find a jolt like the smiler on a B&M. I personally think The Smiler is a bad ride, I don't find it fun its just inversion after inversion which doesn't pull many G's, its drops are tiny and barely worth having and its throughput is terrible which has lead to amazing amounts of fastracks which leads to even lower throughput for the main queue. Saw also has an endless list of faults which amounts to another ride I consider bad. I would much prefer to see something from intamin or B&M instead of both saw and The smiler.
Sr88

I love The Smiler. It is great fun going round all those inversions, and it has enough speed for sure! The Smiler is not designed around drops, so although they may be barely worth having, I'd definitely rather them be there than not!

I wouldn't mind seeing a B&M, as it was 12 years since the last one, and they are obviously popular, but a Mack wouldn't be bad. They are pretty decent and AT only has the Runaway Mine Train, which is not really a massive ride.
sw7nutter

If a ride is all about inversions then i want it to be intense and i don't find the smiler does that. I understand people like it i just don't see the appeal of it.
B&M would be great however i think that a good B&M needs a good sized drop as their heavy and need to pick up the speed. So i feel they don't really suit Alton unless a massive hole is dug like Nemesis. Mack would be a better bet for them or if they want to dig another massive hole and have a B&M thats fine by me.
Benji

sw7nutter wrote:I am still amazed merlin went with Gertslauer, imo they don't suit major parks and really belong to smaller parks with small budgets. Im sure B&M or intamin could have provided a better alternative to SW7. Im quite sure that the next ride will be either B&M or mack. B&M could offer a very nice floorless or maybe even a stand up, a mack would offer a multi launch. Multi launch would be great for Alton as they can stay low and offer great thrills.
Yes, B&M provide better quality rides but arguably the smiler is the most popular ride at Alton towers. Maybe this is because it's new but, and I really hate saying this, typically the general public won't care who the ride is made by just as long as it's good. Also there's no way that B&M or even intamin for that matter would have been able to manufacture the smiler's layout

For me, i'm hoping that SW8 is the cross valley woodie or a mack multi launch on the air car park, going through gloomy wood or on the flume site
sw7nutter

I never said intamin or B&M could have made the smiler. An entire new layout i would have preferred. Intamin could have come close but only Gertslauer could have made the smiler. I hope merlin never use Gertslauer again and stick with intamin, B&M and maybe mack.
Sr88

I feel that a new roller coaster should have at least 4 inversions. I know there has just been one with 14 of them (!), but there are 3 roller coasters with inversions, compared to the 5 without (plus, I never really feel the 2 on Air). Obviously, there is more to a ride than just inversions (speed, G-forces, etc.), but it could just bridge the gap a bit, and would be awesome! Just my opinion though!
sw7nutter

It does need to have some inversions but more than 4 may be a bit excessive.
Sr88

sw7nutter wrote:It does need to have some inversions but more than 4 may be a bit excessive.
Quite possibly, but I guess (or know ;) ) that it depends largely on the rest of the layout and all the factors :) I'm really beginning to appreciate how much work it must be to design one of these beasts now!
sw7nutter

I love designing rides. Its just no limits takes forever to get them to look presentable. Also I refuse to pay no limits 2 price. If the right person has they job they should love it rather than see it as a lot of work.
Sr88

Yes of course! ;) I really want NL2, but the price..!
sw7nutter

Sr88 wrote:Yes of course! ;) I really want NL2, but the price..!
If they wait until it becomes part of a steam sale then if merlin want SW8 to be cheap ill do it for them.
Sr88

sw7nutter wrote:
Sr88 wrote:Yes of course! ;) I really want NL2, but the price..!
If they wait until it becomes part of a steam sale then if merlin want SW8 to be cheap ill do it for them.
Haha! Can you include a batwing? ;)