Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Danny

I think a woodie would suit Thorpe more, but I wouldn't mind AT getting one.
However I think SW8 will be a visit from B&M with a brand new design. Although I love the look of the high five element that wooden coasters can do. Shame it has to be duelling wooden coasters as I don't think AT or TP would ever get such a large investment.
RCandrew

DannyG wrote:I think a woodie would suit Thorpe more, but I wouldn't mind AT getting one.
However I think SW8 will be a visit from B&M with a brand new design. Although I love the look of the high five element that wooden coasters can do. Shame it has to be duelling wooden coasters as I don't think AT or TP would ever get such a large investment.
I'm not just contradicting you :lol but I think a woodie would suit AT better as It could fit in more and blend with the surroundings. Also, depending where it is, it cloud be hidden or winding with the trees. Whereas in TP it's just a big island with huge steel coasters popping up everywhere, so a woodie would look quite random and out of place.. IMHO :)
Danny

That's fine! I enjoy listening to others opinions! :)

I think by loggers leap and Canada creek railway it's all fairly wooden looking so could blend in there :)
awsomelycoolboy

Oh yeah! Wasn't there that story with the Texas twizzeler or something like that when a woman fell off to her death? Not sure what the ride was called but I'm sure it was Texas something.. Also, don't reply to this hugely. I don't want this an on-going sub-topic. It's not a nice topic to talk about :/
dazza4783

awsomelycoolboy wrote:Oh yeah! Wasn't there that story with the Texas twizzeler or something like that when a woman fell off to her death? Not sure what the ride was called but I'm sure it was Texas something.. Also, don't reply to this hugely. I don't want this an on-going sub-topic. It's not a nice topic to talk about :/
New Texas Giant.
Danny

I thought it was just 'Texas Giant'. Then the accident happened so they made modifications and called it 'New Texas Giant'.
Sam198

^ Nope, Texas Giant was the original 1990 custom (Summers) woodie on that site, which became the first coaster to undergo the new generation RMC 'Iron Horse' treatment between 2009 and 2011. New Texas Giant was the name given to the regenerated/new coaster (depending on your take on the iron horse projects).
Jack

that was an incident last year, it was the Texas Giant, but in 2001, RMC retracked it and all that, and with the retracking came the new name New Texas Giant. I believe the trains were made by Gerstlauer, meaning that technically, RMC had nothing to do with the death.

Since NTG, they have built Outlaw Run and will be opening a few more in the next couple of years, the one that I think could push Merlin to get an RMC would be Wildfire, with it being a terrain coaster, and being European.

EDIT: I see sam got the dates wrong, how on earth did I get 2001?! :-k
NemesisRider

I have heard rumours that Ripsaw is moving park and The Blade will be removed. I have also heard that The Flume will be replaced by a bigger water based ride. To be completely honest, I am expecting a new type of B and M roller coaster around forbidden valley, possible related to Nemesis in the theming. If not, I think a floorless or stand-up coaster by B and M would be likely as in all Forbidden valley roller coasters your feet are not in the car. Sw8 will probably be in forbidden valley.

I predict it won't be wooden or hybrid like Goliath at Six Flags Great America.

I have heard that the entrance will be relocated and the monorail removed, so an extension to Forbidden valley, possibly more into the car park is likely.
Danny

nemesisrider wrote:I have heard rumours that Ripsaw is moving park and The Blade will be removed. I have also heard that The Flume will be replaced by a bigger water based ride. To be completely honest, I am expecting a new type of B and M roller coaster around forbidden valley, possible related to Nemesis in the theming. If not, I think a floorless or stand-up coaster by B and M would be likely as in all Forbidden valley roller coasters your feet are not in the car. Sw8 will probably be in forbidden valley.

I predict it won't be wooden or hybrid like Goliath at Six Flags Great America.

I have heard that the entrance will be relocated and the monorail removed, so an extension to Forbidden valley, possibly more into the car park is likely.
This is really interesting to hear! Can I ask where you heard all these rumours? :)
NemesisRider

I do lots of research, talk to other roller coaster enthusiasts and make my own predictions. All the roller coasters in Forbidden valley are B and M so, it would be logical to put another B and M coaster in. The rumour about Ripsaw just came down the grapevine, that's all.
RCandrew

If they put another B&M in forbidden valley I think they'd have to make it quite different to the 2 already there so that it looks a lot different and appealing! I think it would be great though as B&M coasters are big and amazing ;) :lol
stealthsmiler

I would like the plan that The Smiler beat, The B&M in Katanga Canyon. That sounded really good. As for FV, Unless the land was extended into the car park, I think that area has enough rides (5) so adding another would make it too crowded in terms of A) too many rides and B) too many guests. AT need to try and disperse the guests so that ride queues aren't too long and the paths aren't over crowded, which with 3 major coasters and 3 supporting flats, it really would be.
stealthsmiler

I would like the plan that The Smiler beat, The B&M in Katanga Canyon. That sounded really good. As for FV, Unless the land was extended into the car park, I think that area has enough rides (5) so adding another would make it too crowded in terms of A) too many rides and B) too many guests. AT need to try and disperse the guests so that ride queues aren't too long and the paths aren't over crowded, which with 3 major coasters and 3 supporting flats, it really would be.
NemesisRider

Am I the first to notice that the seating and tables near the Air shop have been removed for the 2014 season? I think with Sw8, if it is in Forbidden valley, it might do an inversion or track element above/next to the Air shop.
For everyone who thinks it will be in Gloomy wood, there is just too little space and very restrictive theming. The coaster would literally have to go through Duel to be in that area!
NemesisRider

stealthsmiler wrote:I would like the plan that The Smiler beat, The B&M in Katanga Canyon. That sounded really good. As for FV, Unless the land was extended into the car park, I think that area has enough rides (5) so adding another would make it too crowded in terms of A) too many rides and B) too many guests. AT need to try and disperse the guests so that ride queues aren't too long and the paths aren't over crowded, which with 3 major coasters and 3 supporting flats, it really would be.
How would they theme a thrilling Katanga canyon coaster? Forbidden valley might have a ride removed to make space for a new coaster or they probably will extend into the car park.
Danny

Theming a coaster to KC would be quite easy as others have explained in this topic. But SW8 doesn't have to be a coaster, so an SW in KC doesn't have to be a coaster anyway.

Also Gloomy Wood is in the process of having many trees cut down and cleared, meaning there would be lots of room for a new ride opperisite Duel and wouldn't even have to go near it.
stealthsmiler

The ride would only need a themed queue, train and station, the track could then just be hidden in among the trees. I really hope it would be in Katanga Canyon, as it is one of my favourite areas, ad is just brilliant. I do however think it wont be there, in Gloomy Wood or FV.
NemesisRider

Still what would they call a KC roller coaster? I can easily imagine "Nemesis reborn" in Forbidden valley with near misses towards the head area.
Could a KC coaster be called "Jungle race" or something? (I know that is a terrible name but it's just an example.)

As for Gloomy forest, a coaster could ruin the feel of the area. It is meant to be small and creepy, a coaster could potentially spoil the atmosphere. Remember, Alton Towers cannot build above the treeline, it would call for another pit like used in Nemesis.
awsomelycoolboy

nemesisrider wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:I would like the plan that The Smiler beat, The B&M in Katanga Canyon. That sounded really good. As for FV, Unless the land was extended into the car park, I think that area has enough rides (5) so adding another would make it too crowded in terms of A) too many rides and B) too many guests. AT need to try and disperse the guests so that ride queues aren't too long and the paths aren't over crowded, which with 3 major coasters and 3 supporting flats, it really would be.
How would they theme a thrilling Katanga canyon coaster? Forbidden valley might have a ride removed to make space for a new coaster or they probably will extend into the car park.
Theme it about a long forgotten temple then you go in and it ends up being boobie-trapped so there is loads of statues that breathe fire and shot water and loads of close shaves. You know, a theme like that.