Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Danny

This isn't really about SW8 but there's no real future rides topic I can find :)

On Facebook day many people have been asking about SW8 and what will replace submission.
They said they removed it in order to make way for a new attraction and how more information will be released soon.
They also said more information on SW8 is to be released this winter.
Now I has been known for staff to play with enthusiasts minds, but putting it on social media sites must mean there's some truth behind it :)
DeanGaryCox

Well if this is somewhat true, then a nice new flat investment for next year, and dare we say the new secret weapon for 2016 (considering the smiler was announched winter the year and a half before) keeping in with the 3 year investment!? :D
Owen

DannyG wrote:This isn't really about SW8 but there's no real future rides topic I can find :)

On Facebook day many people have been asking about SW8 and what will replace submission.
They said they removed it in order to make way for a new attraction and how more information will be released soon.
Now I has been known for staff to play with enthusiasts minds, but putting it on social media sites must mean there's some truth behind it :)
Planning apps...?
Danny

Thrillmad wrote:
DannyG wrote:This isn't really about SW8 but there's no real future rides topic I can find :)

Planning apps...?
I don't know?
Owen

DannyG wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:

Planning apps...?
I don't know?
More than likely to be honest
dazza4783

Thrillmad wrote:

Planning apps...?
Yeh, if the ride is going to open in 2016 then the plans would need to be submitted by the end of this year.
Obviously there won't be any official anouncement of the ride until planning permission is granted, and even the Alton tend to keep it secret, releasing little bits of info regarding name and theme and stuff like that later on. But we will get to see the plans as soon as they are submitted.
TomL

I don't think they would build SW8 so near to SW7 and also, it is such a small site. With the planning application for SW8 I think it should see the light of day very early 2015/16 in order for them to gain permission to build ready for the season in which SW8 is opening.
dazza4783

TomL wrote:I don't think they would build SW8 so near to SW7 and also, it is such a small site. With the planning application for SW8 I think it should see the light of day very early 2015/16 in order for them to gain permission to build ready for the season in which SW8 is opening.
They built SW6 (Th13teen) in 2010 and SW7 (The Smiler) in 2013, so it would make sense the next big ride will be in 2016.
If they are sticking with the 3 year cycle of small investment, medium investment, large investment then we should see a large ride (may or may not be a SW project) in 2016. It will most probably go like this:

2014 - small investment = Cbeebies land
2015 - medium investment = Submission replacement
2016 - large investment = SW8 (or other large coaster/large dark ride)
Georgie

Another little facebook nugget that should really be taken with a massive grain of salt, but it's fun to speculate!
Facebook user wrote:Can you get merlin or whoever is in charge of AT to look into building a 4D coaster somewhere in the park, I love the park as it is (been many times, rode it all) but Britain needs this sort of ride.
Alton Towers wrote:We've got a team who are constantly looking into new ideas and concepts for upcoming attractions at the resort! We'll let them know your idea and maybe one day we'll see a 4D coaster here!
There was also a bit of boasting about how clever they are with height restrictions, but we know all that already. ;)
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
DrReeve

Will a 4d even work In the park? They need alot of room similar to a b&m wing rider and also it needs to be tall. I could see more of a water coaster which is pirate themed on the flume site.
Image credit to Lewis97
DeanGaryCox

Personally I can see Alton towers waiting til 2017 for their next rollercoaster/SW, what with the somewhat disastrous opening of the smiler not opening til may and with its ongoing downtime, and how much investment was spent on such a big thrill ride which could carry Alton through an extra year, whereas 13 just doesn't make the same sort of statement.

And to whoever said about cebeebies land being a small investment its surprising how much is being spent on it!
Luviico

Submission was removed to make way for a new attraction? well Submission being removed wasn't mentioned in the long term development plan so it couldn't of been planned so to speak. I think it's more likely it was removed due to its ongoing problems and they didn't want to spend the money on a low throughput ride to repair it. I wonder what we will see in its place though? i'm hoping it isn't a rushed job and a bit of thought is put into what would suit such a small area and themeing etc. I know AT have been planning on adding a few flats before 2019 and I can see Ripsaw leaving rather soon too and another replacement being put in that area. As for SW8 I now can't wait for next winter! I still stick by my original thoughts that it will be situated on the flume site! If plans are seen in winter it will fit in with the cycle for the last 2 SW's but i'm hoping they don't make the same mistake that they did with The Smiler, especially if SW8 is a large investment. A spectacular new addition to the park needs the time and effort, it does not need to be rushed just so it opens in time for the beginning of the season, this is why I wouldn't be too fussed if SW8 appears in 2017. A well thought out, quality attraction please AT :D
awsomelycoolboy

As Luviico said, new plans for flat ride have been put into place for 2019 here is some information I have sourced
Car Parking & Access: Further implementation of the car parking ‘cells’ and improvements to the entrance on Farley Lane. A new entrance plaza to the east of Duel is also considered so that Towers Street could be redeveloped for other uses.

New Rides & Entertainment Areas: A number of rides are earmarked for removal as they reach the end of their operational lives. These may include: Ripsaw, The Flume and The Blade. Two large attractions are being considered for 2016 and 2019 which would fit with the current theme of installing a major attraction every three years. One of these installations may be a cross-valley ride between Dark Forest and Forbidden Valley whilst the other may be a large-scale dark ride. These two major installations would be alongside up to four replacement medium or large attractions.

The link between the theme park and resort is also planned to be reinforced through the development of a ‘fully integrated resort attraction’ – which may possibly be some sort of entertainments area.

Proposed Changes to Permitted Development Rights: There are areas of Alton Towers where things can be built without planning permission. The LTDP suggests Sonic Spinball’s removal or relocation in order to stop any ride or structure higher than 5m being built on that site.

Other bits: possible development of further resort accommodation, continued investment into the Towers ruins and Gardens and investment in the local road and bus network.

In 2019 theme park admissions are estimated to rise to 3.3 million, alongside a rise in overnight stays. Traffic to Alton Towers Resort is not set to rise though.
[move]i do not own any right to any of the images/text used in the quote. All information is sourced from towersstreet and all this information are long term plans that possibly may not even happen.[/move]
Alex

You do know that plan has been out for well over a year so its hardly new information ;)
awsomelycoolboy

You do know that plan has been out for well over a year so its hardly new information
Yeah. I know, but i put it here for anyone that doesn't know. So now they do ;) and they can know the possible future plans.
dazza4783

It doesn't say anything about a flat ride for 2019. It says that 2 Large rides will be added, one likely to be a cross valley ride (possibly the planned cross valley woodie) and the other likely to be a Large scale dark ride (possibly an indoor flume ride like valhalla seeing as they have earmarked the flume for removal). I would say 2015 and 2018 are the most likely years for replacement flat rides.
Zach

I believe an existing ride at alton towers will be relocated to either Xsector onto the submission site or another flat will be removed at the end of this season to make way for SW8
NickiFan

dazza4783 wrote:It doesn't say anything about a flat ride for 2019. It says that 2 Large rides will be added, one likely to be a cross valley ride (possibly the planned cross valley woodie) and the other likely to be a Large scale dark ride (possibly an indoor flume ride like valhalla seeing as they have earmarked the flume for removal). I would say 2015 and 2018 are the most likely years for replacement flat rides.

I don't want to be 'that guy' and I know people will disagree with me on saying this but I don't think we will get a woodie whilst Alton is owned by Merlin. In my opinion, a wooden coaster is a pointless investment for Alton towers as the GP probably won't be as bothered as enthusiasts and they are seen as 'old' and 'unsafe'. I doubt Merlin would make such a big investment in something they don't see as a crowd pulling, money making coaster. Merlin have pretty much always said that so I doubt its going to happen.
Owen

What's the big deal with wood anyways? It's rough and uncomfortable IMO
Jack

Thrillmad wrote:What's the big deal with wood anyways? It's rough and uncomfortable IMO
Having not ridden one and going from reviews (I'll give reviews of my experiences later this year) woodies seem to give more than steel, the roughness can give an out of control feeling (although, newer woodies seem to get reviews that give the impression that they are smoother than some steel coasters, RMC or not) and they give different ride experiences in different weather, time, temperature etc, so it can be a different experience ever time you ride :)