Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
richards.adam

I have the perfect solution to all your worries. Ever wanted a 200ft hyper coaster from Intamin or B&M at AT?

Simple, buy a few 200ft tall trees.

Solved.
Jack

richards.adam wrote:I have the perfect solution to all your worries. Ever wanted a 200ft hyper coaster from Intamin or B&M at AT?

Solved.

How I wish the thanks button was still around :P
Dom

As long as SW8 is a good addition to the park, then to be honest I am not really that worried about what it is. Personally i would love to see another coaster go up in Katanga Canyon as that area is so under utilized.
scw55

richards.adam wrote:I have the perfect solution to all your worries. Ever wanted a 200ft hyper coaster from Intamin or B&M at AT?

Solved.
I am going to have to be that twit that murders a nicely witty comment with boring truth.

I doubt there are any British Native Trees that can grow to 200ft reletively quickly.
You could try propogating a monstrous Oak, but that would take centuaries.

I'm saying it'd probably have to be British Native (in a wooded context) as to support the local ecosystem. If this was in an ornimental garden context, then I don't think there'd be an issue.

They could always dig massive holes again.
Has there even been a sub-terranian Hypercoaster before?
richards.adam

Dam. Good point well made.

Back to the drawing board.
scw55

Use a trench.
That's AT solution to heigh restrictions.
dazza4783

scw55 wrote:

Solved.
I am going to have to be that twit that murders a nicely witty comment with boring truth.

I doubt there are any British Native Trees that can grow to 200ft reletively quickly.
You could try propogating a monstrous Oak, but that would take centuaries.

I'm saying it'd probably have to be British Native (in a wooded context) as to support the local ecosystem. If this was in an ornimental garden context, then I don't think there'd be an issue.

They could always dig massive holes again.
Has there even been a sub-terranian Hypercoaster before?
Oblivion's drop isn't far off 200ft.

On the subject of the trees though, couldn't they just have some fake trees made and erect them all around the park boundary, obviously so they look like real trees from the surrounding villages. Have them tall enough so you can put decent sized coasters in there without having to worry too much about them going above tree height. Might cost a bit to do if it is possible, but in the long run would save them having to spend loads of money digging down.
Luviico

Depends on how well they are made, can't have them looking tacky or out of place beside the actual trees. It also depends on whether there would be space available for fake trees. Can't see this ever happening to be honest.
scw55

If money was no object, I would prefer them building trenches. It would quite a thing having a Hypercoaster navigate an artificial chasm.

Might mean mass deforestation which wouldn't be popular.
cookiee_munster

the great thing that makes the park so unique IS the height restriction. thank god, otherwise it would be filled with a load of super tall monstrosities. i love the fact that the park have to use the land properly to build a decent ride...

Rip the flume out and build SW8 there. no one said that an SW has to be a super thrilling rollercoaster. just a decent ride with a decent amount of budgeting for it.
alfiebella1

look what i just found on alton towers wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Towe ... r_coasters

sw8 been added
Danny

Probably someone just messing around. However if that was true I'd be majorly excited!!!
Luviico

Anyone can contribute to wikipedia pages so I would take this addition with a massive pinch of salt, woodland hollow isn't even an area! Interesting that it says water element though. This idea has been thrown around a lot that SW8 should be a water coaster. I don't think any formal announcements have been made yet though. Probably just someone wanting to get the enthusiasts tongues wagging.
Owen

I was just thinking, we got SW7 planing applications in December 2011 so could we get SW8 planing apps December 2014? It would be the same time as previous planning applications. We got SW6 in October 2008 so even earlier!
Dr.Kelham

Thrillmad wrote:I was just thinking, we got SW7 planing applications in December 2011 so could we get SW8 planing apps December 2014? It would be the same time as previous planning applications. We got SW6 in October 2008 so even earlier!
If that is the case it would depend if they want a march or May opening then
With thanks to lewis97 :)
dazza4783

Thrillmad wrote:I was just thinking, we got SW7 planing applications in December 2011 so could we get SW8 planing apps December 2014? It would be the same time as previous planning applications. We got SW6 in October 2008 so even earlier!
It may depend on how confident they are that it would get approved quickly, and how much work is going to go into preparing the construction site. Obviously the more work that would need doing the earlier they would need the plans to be approved, so the earlier they would need to submit them.
ryan8741

alfiebella1 wrote:look what i just found on alton towers wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Towe ... r_coasters

sw8 been added
They have removed it! :(
^ Credit to Lewis97
^Credit to NemesisRider

Rollercoasters are all you need in life...
Benji

If Merlin are so obsessed with the "worlds ......." status, even if they built the cross valley woodie as SW8 and got planning consent, they could market it as the worlds tallest drop on a wooden rollercoaster. If the plans are true, then a 200ft drop down in to the valley would be higher than any other in the world, with the current record only being 180ft by Goliath at Six Flags Great America. If they were to built this, they would definitely be on to a winner
DrReeve

Benji wrote:If Merlin are so obsessed with the "worlds ......." status, even if they built the cross valley woodie as SW8 and got planning consent, they could market it as the worlds tallest drop on a wooden rollercoaster. If the plans are true, then a 200ft drop down in to the valley would be higher than any other in the world, with the current record only being 180ft by Goliath at Six Flags Great America. If they were to built this, they would definitely be on to a winner
Surely in order to build sw8 then would need land in Dark Forest to place part of this ride? If so is there any room for expansion of Dark Forest or will one of the rides have to go? Plus how would they theme this ride that travels between a haunted possessed forest and a monster taking over a Forbidden Valley?
Phild94

If they wanted they could tie it all together quite nicely with a story between the forest being fully consumed by the wraiths and forbidden valley was fighting back.... 2 carts, 1 at each station, duelling woodie with 1 train as something nemmy/phalanx themed the other as th13teen/wraith, would be insane to be flying through the forest duelling with another woodie...

If only this would happen :/ that really could be a ridiculously intense ride

Also regarding the extra space in dark forest I'm sure there's quite a large space beneath Rita's first turn and further towards the forest there's probably enough room for a station and some raised walkways