Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
SamSimkin

Just had a look at hybrid coasters and they look very ugly! I hope it isnt SW8
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
TomL

If they went for a hybrid they would most definitely get refused planning permission for an orange steel track however if they went for a track design like outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City I think it would suit the park perfectly!
Danny

SW's usually have a gimmick/ worlds first, SW7 knocked the inversions record. Now if they built a woodie the only realistic one would be the most inversions on a woodie, so this is why I don't think SW8 will be wooden.
If it's to include a worlds first that narrows it down a bit. Also the fact that AT can't build about the tree line, that narrows it down vastly. It rules out such rides as a hyper/giga which would mean worlds tallest is out of the question. With Rita still standing we aren't going to see another launched which means no worlds fastest. Worlds longest is a possibility but would be incredibly hard to beat. It really is a tough one but I think one thing we can confirm it that it will be steel. :)
Jevaaaans

I can honestly see SW8 being pushed back for a year or two. Thorpe have pushed back their next big coaster due to hotel development, but I think this may affect AT's budget a little as Merlin really have all the spending money.

But whenever SW8 comes around, I would like to see something which we don't really see in the UK - whatever it may be. Personally, I would love a wooden-steel hybrid as they look pretty awesome and it's more practical to go to one 4 hours away by car than 9-13 hours away by plane. If AT were to wait a couple of years, it's possible that there could be a new development which allows for noise to be reduced, but otherwise I could see Dark Forest as a good candidate, with the relocation of Rita to wherever they're sending Sonic Spinball, in the park or not. There could be some downward construction and possibly some dipping into the valley if at all possible.

If not wood, then a stand-up or hyper would be nice. I would've loved to see the stand-up designs that JW had for Katanga Canyon...
Last edited by Jevaaaans on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

I'd actually quite like to see spinball replaced with the world's first standup spinner. :lol:
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Alex

Ilovecoasters wrote: I'd actually quite like to see spinball replaced with the world's first standup spinner. :lol:
No coaster can replace sonic unless it is under 25ft ( I think ) so the chances of that happening are pretty much none. Plus there is probably a reason a stand up spinning coaster doesnt exist yet. ;)
Burniel

Alex wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote: I'd actually quite like to see spinball replaced with the world's first standup spinner. :lol:
No coaster can replace sonic unless it is under 25ft ( I think ) so the chances of that happening are pretty much none. Plus there is probably a reason a stand up spinning coaster doesnt exist yet. ;)
Not that I don't trust you, but do you have evidence about the 25ft mark?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Alex wrote:
Sonic Spinball is about 56ft, so any replacement coaster would have to be similar in height I presume.
Burniel

lewis97 wrote:
Alex wrote:
Sonic Spinball is about 56ft, so any replacement coaster would have to be similar in height I presume.
Which isn't bad for alton towers
Alex

Ilovecoasters wrote:
Alex wrote:
Not that I don't trust you, but do you have evidence about the 25ft mark?
I seem to remember reading it in one of the planning documents,  I think its something to do with Towers Street. I will see if I can find it.
Benji

I really hate how Alton Towers have got themselves in to this situation were they feel all their rides have to be world's first or unique. Just look at some of the top coasters in the world. They don't have trick tracks or gimmicks, they're just pure thrilling coaster. Obviously Towers can't build above the tree line but look at Nemesis, that doesn't have any fancy dropping section or 14 inversions, it's just a damn good coaster. Once Towers realise, much like John Wardley said, you don't need a fancy gimmick to market a ride, the better
Last edited by Benji on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
Danny

I have just re read the sign up about the flume site. It states that the flume is going to be unplugged in order to make way from a new secret weapon coming from Switzerland.
Also it says that they don't know how long it will take. Now if I remember correctly SW7 was actually going to be made by B&M but pulled out due to being too busy.
Therefore I think SW8 will be manufactured by B&M and will take place on the Flume site. This will be the last year of The Flume.
Just my opinions :)
dazza4783

Benji wrote: I really hate how Alton Towers have got themselves in to this situation were they feel all their rides have to be world's first or unique. Just look at some of the top coasters in the world. They don't have trick tracks or gimmicks, they're just pure thrilling coaster. Obviously Towers can't build above the tree line but look at Nemesis, that doesn't have any fancy dropping section or 14 inversions, it's just a damn good coaster. Once Towers realise, much like John Wardley said, you don't need a fancy gimmick to market a ride, the better
20 years ago when Nemesis was built it was considered somewhat of a "gimmick" (for want of a better word) to have the trains below the track and for it to have inversions. Now inverted looping coasters are everywhere, but back then they weren't and Nemesis was Europe's first of it's kind, now it is just considered a very good coaster.
I agree that they should concentrate on just making good coasters rather than using gimmicks, but then mystery about world's firsts is what SW's are all about isn't it? I do think that SW8 will be a world's first, probably world's first B&M launched wing coaster, and will probably replace the flume. Hopefully a new indoor water ride similar to valhalla will be built to fill the need for a water flume ride.
I would love to see a megalite at Alton Towers, possibly to replace spinball, even though i do like spinball, although that wouldn't be an SW.
RubyGaga

DannyG wrote: I have just re read the sign up about the flume site. It states that the flume is going to be unplugged in order to make way from a new secret weapon coming from Switzerland.
Also it says that they don't know how long it will take. Now if I remember correctly SW7 was actually going to be made by B&M but pulled out due to being too busy.
Therefore I think SW8 will be manufactured by B&M and will take place on the Flume site. This will be the last year of The Flume.
source?

Image ImageImageImage
Roodlesnouter

Now if I remember correctly SW7 was actually going to be made by B&M but pulled out due to being too busy.
Although rumored this was proven (by J Wardley) to be untrue.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DeanGaryCox

DannyG wrote: I have just re read the sign up about the flume site. It states that the flume is going to be unplugged in order to make way from a new secret weapon coming from Switzerland.
Yes, omg... I had so many questions when I seen the picture posted on the forum - then with the news that sw7 was changed and planned quicker than expected, fits in so well.

I wonder if this was a troll from towers aha... If not its still a very plausible idea and that we'll probably see the flume for another 2 seasons yet - I still think Alton need a flume ride though (just a better one) as it is a staple attraction for any park, and although I never ride it (that's because it's rubbish), I'd be lost without one lol.

Now on the matter of Switzerland, aren't intamin also from there? With Alton hardly being able to dig down in that area with the lake, and probably issue with the removal of trees, what could we potentially see here from these 2 manufacturerers?
Image 2014
dazza4783

RubyGaga wrote:
source?
Danny

Maybe some sort of intamin water coaster is my opinions if it's by intamin.
JammyBand

Woah woah. Where is that sign located and has anybody else in the world ever seen it? It's not like Alton to share information regarding new rides freely. Normally they would hold back for a grand reveal. So, where is this sign located?
dazza4783

JammyBand wrote: Woah woah. Where is that sign located and has anybody else in the world ever seen it? It's not like Alton to share information regarding new rides freely. Normally they would hold back for a grand reveal. So, where is this sign located?
I think it was on the window of one of the ticket booths, or guest services, can't remember. Not sure if it is still there or not. Also it doesn't really reveal anything other than a possible future secret weapon located on or near the flume site would be made by a Swiss company. Not really a surprise given that all the secret weapons, up to that point (the sign was there before the smiler was announced), had been made by B&M or intamin (both Swiss companies).
Plus, it could have been them just messing with the enthusiast community.
Last edited by dazza4783 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.