Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Guitar

If the flume site is the location of SW8, why the need to remove Blade and Ripsaw? How big is this ride going to be? Is that a clue?
Adz
Admin
Admin

Guitar wrote:If the flume site is the location of SW8, why the need to remove Blade and Ripsaw? How big is this ride going to be? Is that a clue?
Ripsaw removal is unrelated to this. Blade is still open.

I expect this ride to largely be contained within the existing flume area.
Guitar

Adz wrote:Ripsaw removal is unrelated to this. Blade is still open.

I expect this ride to largely be contained within the existing flume area.
Apologies, I could have sworn that Blade was SBNO awaiting removal ala Ripsaw. Why was Ripsaw removed?
zakwoolley1

I think it was on its last legs

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Adz
Admin
Admin

If you read the topic...

Blade was pending removal for the Forbidden Valley version of SW8 which isn't happening.

Ripsaw was removed for unrelated reasons and other future development.
Altontowersbarlow

I am more confident with SW8's current site as opposed to the previous plan of situating the new ride in Forbidden Valley. The flume was in need of replacement and Mutiny Bay is arguably not the most popular or developed area of the park so it makes sense to install a major ride on that site. I also believe that the possibilities for interaction and theming in the chosen area are quite encouraging; the lake is very open and this could provide a very immersive experience if themed correctly and provide good viewpoints of the attraction.
In regards to records and worlds first, I think we are all in agreement that SW8 should just be a very immersive ride that delivers a high quality ride experience. Despite this, if necessary, I wouldn't mind an attempt at the breaking of a length record as that offers new possibilities in terms of layout, as opposed to some of the parks more compact or shorter ride experiences.
Javs

Thanks for the update guys. I would say 'New Concept' for AT rules out a World First, they are normally quite keen to point out a world first. But for me, 'New Concept' simply implies a rollercoaster type that the park currently does not offer. If it was planned for Forbidden Valley I doubt it will be a wooden coaster, as this would have spoiled the asthetics of the area, especially if it was planned to go around Nemsis' queue area. So I think we are still looking at a steel coaster and my money is still on B&M or Intamin.
Sawboss

Javs wrote:If it was planned for Forbidden Valley I doubt it will be a wooden coaster, as this would have spoiled the asthetics of the area, especially if it was planned to go around Nemsis' queue area. So I think we are still looking at a steel coaster and my money is still on B&M or Intamin.
I think the flume site ride will be a different design to whatever they were considering for FV. I've heard the park has multiple rides in development at a time so they would have been looking at the FV coaster, decided it was too much and gone 'Oh well we'll do this flume replacement instead'. The fact the flume was old and needed replacing anyway probably factored in too.
scruffy_

Javs wrote:Thanks for the update guys. I would say 'New Concept' for AT rules out a World First, they are normally quite keen to point out a world first. But for me, 'New Concept' simply implies a rollercoaster type that the park currently does not offer. If it was planned for Forbidden Valley I doubt it will be a wooden coaster, as this would have spoiled the asthetics of the area, especially if it was planned to go around Nemsis' queue area. So I think we are still looking at a steel coaster and my money is still on B&M or Intamin.
Roller coaster with water ride features
Owen

I really don't understand this need for another water ride, or a ride you get wet on?

We are in Britain, I guarantee most only went on the flume when it was warm (so not very often) - so why replace it with another ride you'll get wet on?

It makes no sense as the park won't spend out a tonne of money for an attraction really only enjoyed for a month out of the 8 months (counting march & november as one) the park is operational. There may be rides that can alter the splash, but even so what would be the point when people wouldn't necessarily understand that?

Personally I don't see a ride you get wet on returning to the site, maybe the ride replacing it will have a water spray but that's as much as I can see happening.
Tom170499

Owen wrote:I really don't understand this need for another water ride, or a ride you get wet on?

We are in Britain, I guarantee most only went on the flume when it was warm (so not very often) - so why replace it with another ride you'll get wet on?

It makes no sense as the park won't spend out a tonne of money for an attraction really only enjoyed for a month out of the 8 months (counting march & november as one) the park is operational. There may be rides that can alter the splash, but even so what would be the point when people wouldn't necessarily understand that?

Personally I don't see a ride you get wet on returning to the site, maybe the ride replacing it will have a water spray but that's as much as I can see happening.
I avoid Alton Towers in the summer and tend to go either late March, September and October and every time I have been, there has always been people on the Flume.

I think there is a place for water rides in the UK, look at Tidal Wave at Thorpe, Rumba Rapids, Loggers Leap and Storm Surge. Those four water rides are very popular at Thorpe Park. Yes, they are busier in Summer but that is expected.

If SW8 turns out to be a water ride, I and many of the GP would be very happy.

Alton need an in the middle water ride, between a little splash on CRR and soaked on Battle Galleons. The Flume was this so I hope whatever replaces it has the same effect.
Owen

Evidentially you didn't see I said most only ride them in the summer - which is very true. In terms of the water rides listed, the only one that is guaranteed to get you soaked is Tidal Wave, which hardly gets a queue during colder days. Not only this but you seem to forget this won't be a small development - something that Storm Surge most definitely was. They were able to risk loosing the money they spent.

In terms of saying the flume wasn't that wet - you couldn't be more wrong, it's more of a luck ride, as I've came off wetter than tidal wave on more than one occasion! ;)
Tom170499

Owen wrote:Evidentially you didn't see I said most only ride them in the summer - which is very true. In terms of the water rides listed, the only one that is guaranteed to get you soaked is Tidal Wave, which hardly gets a queue during colder days. Not only this but you seem to forget this won't be a small development - something that Storm Surge most definitely was.

In terms of saying the flume wasn't that wet - you couldn't be more wrong, it's more of a luck ride, as I've came off wetter than tidal wave on more than one occasion! ;)
I did see that, I'm just elaborating on your point that water rides are less popular out of summer which yes, they are but they still have guest willing to ride. Because of this, I believe/hope Alton will take this into account, baring in mind that a water ride is a staple ride in any good theme park.

As for the intensity of the splash, it all depends on the weight of the boat and the amount of water in the trough at the splashdown. I've experienced the Flume with a full boat, and with only two people (myself included) and it is clear that you get wetter when the boat is full.
Owen

Oh I know why you get wetter, it's generally to do with the weight and its distribution in the boat.

At the end of the day this is my opinion and that is yours, I prefer to look at what a park needs instead of what I'd necessarily prefer to avoid disappointment :)
RIDECRAZY

I have to say I agree with Tom on this one, think of a major (& not so major) theme park in the UK that doesn't have a log flume and you come out with hardly any. Every major theme park and most smaller theme parks have a log flume styled ride and I think Alton Towers are really at a disadvantage without one! Granted its likely SW8 won't be a log flume but I do think it needs to have a water element to it that isn't simply a splash; either that or they use a year of smaller investment to build a cheaper log flume/other water based ride!

In my opinion, every great theme park has a log flume and as old and tired as The Flume was, I loved the layout and always rode it whenever I went, regardless of the time of year - again, I may be biased being a theme park geek but still, all my friends do too!
bensaund

There is nothing stopping them adding another log flume, there are plenty of sites they can add one in and it doesn't have to be a mega long flume. for example a family flume around Cbeebies could work very well.
xylyx

I won't miss the flume but I will miss the evil duck in the dark. I guess we shall see what they have in store, to me the wording suggests a ride that AT don't have as opposed to a world's first, which is encouraging. I hope they run with that and make something awesome :)

A bit of wood would not go amiss.
Tom170499

xylyx wrote:I won't miss the flume but I will miss the evil duck in the dark. I guess we shall see what they have in store, to me the wording suggests a ride that AT don't have as opposed to a world's first, which is encouraging. I hope they run with that and make something awesome :)

A bit of wood would not go amiss.
I believe this was suggested at the meet on Saturday. Someone mentioned that it was said that the ride would be a new concept for Alton Towers, not the world.
Georgie

Personally I think Alton really need another new big coaster. After what's happened with the Smiler they're back in the same situation they were in before where what's considered the flagship ride is now over 20 years old. In terms of what they need, the park's coaster lineup is really missing a big airtime machine and if the rumours of a Woodie are true then that could be exactly what we're getting, especially if it's that rumoured launched rmc. Just look at Lightning Rod!
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Owen

I wouldn't say that in the eyes of the public their flagship attraction has been nemesis in a very long time, it's often just the newest big addition marked with the flagship name, with Galactica being an acception - also judging by the reaction to The Smiler reopening it hasn't seemed like the incident has really changed a huge amount of opinions luckily!

In regards to the flume debate - I am also a theme park enthusiast (hence why I'm on TowersTimes in the first place) and although I also see it's necessary to have a flume ride, I also think that's only because we haven't not had a flume ride in most UK parks in recent memory, and so I'm open to change. Let's not forget that Heide Park (another Merlin park in a country with a very similar climate) removed their flume for Flug Der Damonen - I don't see many saying "oh I wish we had the flume back" now! ;)

Like I said this is my personal opinion and so it shouldn't be taken too seriously :lol