Quick Questions 2012

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AstroDan

A new year and so a new Quick Questions topic, now wrapped up on the international stage as "QQ2012". For those of you who don't know, here's the lowdown:

What's this all about then?
The Quick Questions topic is designed to do exactly what it says on the tin. If you've got a question that doesn't really need much discussion, more a quick one post answer, then post it in here and one of our ever-friendly and most very attractive members will try and respond with an answer.

It's to try and keep things a bit more tidy and clutter free so that important discussion topics stay neatly on one page. 

Useful links

The Official Alton Towers Resort Website
Contains official information about your stay or day visit

TowersTimes News
Frequently updated with the latest news from Alton Towers Resort

TowersTimes
A link to our main home page - the best Alton Towers source in the world!

DON'T FORGET

We have a great deal of information on park opening times, public transport access information and more in our Alton Towers Trip Planning thread - find it here

<!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->
The Psychoaster

Wondered this for a while; does anyone know why the Dark Forest is never open during February half-term? Is it due to operational issues, or just practicalities?
Voke

The Psychoaster wrote: Wondered this for a while; does anyone know why the Dark Forest is never open during February half-term? Is it due to operational issues, or just practicalities?
I believe it's just so they can perform maintenance on Rita and TH13TEEN, and due to both rides being very technical, it takes a little bit longer. But, I think with these two major attractions being closed during the Half Term, it gives us a little bit more to look forward to the main season when it starts in March! :)
WillPS

In the SW7 plans, the transport document claims:
5.5 In addition, Alton Towers Resort operates a service whereby it will collect passengers from nearby railway stations if they have phoned the Resort to arrange this service.
Could anybody elaborate on this service?
thefatone

Pretty much what it says on the tin - they use the transport minibus to go collect guests from the stations if they book ahead through the transport office.

It's only when there's no other (towers) transport available though. So like 9pm from uttox or something.
Charlee

What ever happened to 'The Magic' :(
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.
James

If you mean in terms of the atmosphere, the company look and feel, the marketing and some rides and attractions then it was removed by Tussauds over the 2000s, from around 2004/05 I'd say 'the magic' began to slowly fade away.
Magrathea

...according to some pessimistic and overly-nostalgic people. :P

I almost guarantee to you that so many people who experienced Towers for the first time this year will have absolutely adored it, and felt that 'magic' just as strong as we originally did. I know my family did when they first went in the 2010 season.

When you start looking into the park and become more familiar with it, of course that naïve first-time awe and magic will go away, especially of you're on a site which regularly discusses all the decisions going on 'behind the scenes', which at the stage you were 'feeling the magic' you wouldn't have given second thought to.

However, standing at the bottom of Towers Street, in the shadow of the ruins, messing around with a group of friends who you absolutely adore, having only done rapids and carousel all day, waiting for the Fireworks to start.

Tell me that's not magic :)
formula1fan

Magrathea wrote:
However, standing at the bottom of Towers Street, in the shadow of the ruins, messing around with a group of friends who you absolutely adore, having only done rapids and carousel all day, waiting for the Fireworks to start.

Tell me that's not magic :)
Oh, that was an epic day, that really was. The most amazing day I've had at Towers, and the Fireworks made it even better, adding magic to everything. :)
AstroDan

There is of course an inbuilt "magic" that occurs naturally within the park.

But "magical" marketing and the "magic" that used to be under every breath of Alton Towers resort mission statements and in every morning briefing, was lost through the early 2000s.

:)
----reece----

First time iv wrote even though iv been following these forums for a couple of years .. Im planning on going AT on monday 26th ? you think it will be busy??? Plus downtime on Nemisis-subterra ? is it worth risking it right at the begning of the season ? Cheers
Voke

----reece---- wrote: First time iv wrote even though iv been following these forums for a couple of years .. Im planning on going AT on monday 26th ? you think it will be busy??? Plus downtime on Nemisis-subterra ? is it worth risking it right at the begning of the season ? Cheers
Welcome to the Forum! :)

Personally, I would go on that date, as due to it being a weekday, you should have a pretty quiet day, but due to the yearly 'New Attractions rush', certain rides will have bigger queues than others. For example, Sub-Terra and pretty much the whole of Forbidden Valley, and possibly even Duel. As for downtime, I would suspect that Sub-Terra may have a little, due to the technicality of the ride, but I don't think it will be prolonged, or effect your trip a lot. So, I'm pretty sure you'll get to go on pretty much everything you wish to go on, including the new attractions!
----reece----

Voke wrote:
----reece---- wrote: First time iv wrote even though iv been following these forums for a couple of years .. Im planning on going AT on monday 26th ? you think it will be busy??? Plus downtime on Nemisis-subterra ? is it worth risking it right at the begning of the season ? Cheers
Welcome to the Forum! :)

Personally, I would go on that date, as due to it being a weekday, you should have a pretty quiet day, but due to the yearly 'New Attractions rush', certain rides will have bigger queues than others. For example, Sub-Terra and pretty much the whole of Forbidden Valley, and possibly even Duel. As for downtime, I would suspect that Sub-Terra may have a little, due to the technicality of the ride, but I don't think it will be prolonged, or effect your trip a lot. So, I'm pretty sure you'll get to go on pretty much everything you wish to go on, including the new attractions!
Sounds good to me.. i do go quite a few times a year just never right at the begining of the seaon.. cheers for the reply though...  im not gunna moan about subterra! just excited for a new dark ride! Finally!
Voke

It's great to know that you're on of the first of the general public to go on the attraction, due to visiting at the sart of the season! I did this with TH13TEEN, on the second day of opening and managed to re-ride over 10 times. But that's another story for another time. ;)

It's also pretty handy to go at the start, as you kind of miss the mid-season/summer/scarefest queues, so you'll get a pretty nice ride-count if you plan it all out. I would imagine going on Sub-Terra last, or first would give you a rather short queue-time.
Longy

Does anyone know where there are any 2 for 1 vouchers or half price vouchers?
It is just easier for me as I can't get an annual pass yet. :evil:
thefatone

Doubt there's many/any now, seeing as the park isn't open til march.

Dont think you can use BOGOFs over feb half term?
Longy

thefatone wrote: Doubt there's many/any now, seeing as the park isn't open til march.

Dont think you can use BOGOFs over feb half term?
There is only one offer I know of for half term, and that is booking online.
Oh well, I'll wait a bit then.
Johno

Rooms in the AT Hotel.

When it says it can fit 4/5 in a family room. What are the beds etc.?

Attempting to work out how many 19 year olds we can fit in.
mrbrightside

There will either be a double and a single with a pullout bed. Or a double, a single and bunk beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
lozzyhickers

It's worth saying though, that you probably won't be able to fit a 19 year old in the bunk bed, especially not the bottom bunk. I'm not particularly tall, but I grew out of the bottom bunk when I was 13...