Scarefest 2012: General Discussion (Spoiler Warning)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jak92

I have personally always wanted a maze based on Th13teen as it would be a great way to tell a background story on the ride, giving the random wraiths and girl real significance. I hope that this new maze is completley different to both Assylum and the Boilerhouse and takes the format in a new direction.
oliviamae

I'm auditioning on August 22nd. Hope it works out! I've never been to Scarefest, but I've always wanted to. I think this will be a good alternative for me.
Jammydodger

Alton are on really thin ice with this. Thorpe have shown they can really push the boundaries with Experiment 10, dare I say it, but this lineup is way too "safe" at the moment. They need to take risks, try something new...  I can only hope this new maze won't be as bland and generic as they make it seem.
Thom

How popular was Scarefest last year in terms of gate numbers?

If I remember though BH and CoS didn't sell that many tickets though being on park, so perhaps we'll see a return to the mazes being up at the hotels...

Having the rather tired ToTT and Zombie zone as the only 'thrilling' included additions to the theme park is disappointing though, the lack of Haunted Hollow or Duel live as an additional something for everyone is really starting to show..
PeteB

I find it unlikely they will move the mazes back to the hotels given the rumors about one maze being in another part of the towers and the other one inside the goal striker building. Plus, they are on cheapo budgets so hiring a big marquee for 2 mazes up at the hotels likely another reason against it happening.

Not sure if the mazes were more successful in terms of tickets but one thing is for sure it left a sour taste in everyone's mouth, having to pay more money for attractions inside the park.

I agreed with Alton being on thin ice. In my opinion Scarefest is seriously on the way down, given that:

- ToTT is tired and desperately needing a refresh
- CoS has been hit and miss since the beginning, its never massively impressed
- Lack of family entertainment/shows - just look at last years (and this years) lineup
- Poor park lighting and decoration
- No longer any attractions for hotel guests
- The whole event represents extremely poor value for money

They just don't have any idea how to run a decent hallween event unfortunately.
OvenChips

:cry: Pretty gutted about the line up so far, i go every year and will continue to carry on for many years to come. Like someone said before, i really hope they add duel etc or maybe more hidden suprises in september on the website.

Come on alton!! bring back room 13 maze, duel, mazes around the hotel :D
jackgcse

Its a shame, although, In my opinion, The Alton Towers Resort and Merlin cannot afford to have another 'F' up like last year. It is simply not viable to charge high gate prices for an event that is getting worse, if that in turn will lead to a lack of gate figures, in the long run!
So yeah, I recon they will have good there heads screwed on this year, otherwise, they are in for a painful few scarefests!
Its simple business, and being cheap for a few years, will just shoot you in the foot in the long term! Simple business maths! LOL! ;)
towerstwiststurns

Hi all, I was speaking to Head of Scarefest the other day, and i recommended some things to him, along with some hints and of course, i mentioned the line up, and i got a reply from him, which was quite interesting to read,

He said this 'Scarefest is a huge project for us at the resort and we collectively put our heart at soul into it. We continually strive to improve our offering over Scarefest and appreciate any input from interested parties. Often we contend with several constraints, which requires us to concentrate out efforts into ensuring the world class delivery of our products.

Having recently taken the role I assure you that I will make every effort to make this the best Scarefest yet. I would urge you to gear yourself up for our new attraction for 2012, it's original and bound to be the most terrifying attraction Alton has ever seen.

Whether we do or do not add any other attractions. I can assure you that even though the line up remains the same, it will be far superior to previous years'

It's very cresting to see what he said to me, and how he addressed it. From what he said, it looks like the Line-up will stay the same, with nothing being added, and of course, he never said much about the 2012 attraction, or the locations of both mazes, but he did say 'It will be the most terrifying attraction Alton has ever seen' meaning this maze could be one of the best in History.

He said he's aiming to make it the best Scarefest yet, even though the line-up is tiny this year. He never said much about Zombies Scare Zone either. I did recommend Duel Live, Hex Live and Haunted Hollow Live to him, and i did say that it would be fantastic if these attractions returned, he is considering them he told me, and he also said my comments were strongly taken on-board. 
PeteB

Sounds like typical hype to me. I'll wait to see if they deliver.

If the new scare maze is the rumored "Asylum" theme then yeah thats original isn't it? Almost as original as the Zombies scare zone! Two attractions that nearly every halloween event in the country has.  :roll:

Interesting about Duel Live though, its the one attraction that EVERYBODY talks about. Clearly it was more popular than the park makes out. The 2008 one was definitely something special and suited the Haunted House perfectly, unlike the more childish 2009 and 2010 versions.
Last edited by PeteB on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W@LLI$

towerstwiststurns wrote: Hi all, I was speaking to Head of Scarefest the other day, and i recommended some things to him, along with some hints and of course, i mentioned the line up, and i got a reply from him, which was quite interesting to read,

He said this 'Scarefest is a huge project for us at the resort and we collectively put our heart at soul into it. We continually strive to improve our offering over Scarefest and appreciate any input from interested parties. Often we contend with several constraints, which requires us to concentrate out efforts into ensuring the world class delivery of our products.

Having recently taken the role I assure you that I will make every effort to make this the best Scarefest yet. I would urge you to gear yourself up for our new attraction for 2012, it's original and bound to be the most terrifying attraction Alton has ever seen.

Whether we do or do not add any other attractions. I can assure you that even though the line up remains the same, it will be far superior to previous years'

It's very cresting to see what he said to me, and how he addressed it. From what he said, it looks like the Line-up will stay the same, with nothing being added, and of course, he never said much about the 2012 attraction, or the locations of both mazes, but he did say 'It will be the most terrifying attraction Alton has ever seen' meaning this maze could be one of the best in History.

He said he's aiming to make it the best Scarefest yet, even though the line-up is tiny this year. He never said much about Zombies Scare Zone either. I did recommend Duel Live, Hex Live and Haunted Hollow Live to him, and i did say that it would be fantastic if these attractions returned, he is considering them he told me, and he also said my comments were strongly taken on-board.
That is very interesting to hear. To be honest I hope Duel, Hex or Hallow Live come back because in my opinion they were some of the best attraction there! Alton Towers are focusing on the 'thrilling' side of scarefest to much, even through the mazes aren't that thrilling.

The best year for scarefest was 2010, as we had TWO new attractions for scarefest - Thirteen After Dark, Carnival of Screams. Why can't they do that, as people are saying scarefest is falling extremely and Thorpe Park's Fright Night's are getting better and Alton Towers need to watch out!

I do hope they have some HUGE improvements this year, like in the lighting! Not just flood lighting every thing (DARK FOREST!)

I do love Alton Towers but they are falling a bit! But as I said this is interesting. Lets hope for the best!
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
Rollermad

Has anyone got Boiler house videos? I've never been on and I'd love a Pov :) I guess I'll never get a go (as its being ditch for quartanite thingy. (New maze)
Liam B

closest thing you will get is my recreation vids! :P they are quite strict on the no camera policy!
PeteB

There's a POV of ToTT on YouTube but you can't see anything at all other than the odd shadow or light fixture pass by.

Scare attractions by nature are just too dark for anyone to film inside.
Rollermad

hambletwins wrote: closest thing you will get is my recreation vids! :P they are quite strict on the no camera policy!
I think I saw them. (Rct3?) if not can you post a link. Also Pete I found a good ToTT video on YouTube. It's a shame if the boiler house is going, it sounded fun :D
Liam B

yeah it was :) I was meant to do it last year but I had important exams n stuff :)
roary01

I'm suprised they brought back the trick or treat party, was it just me who seemed that it wasn't very popular, and it was soo much better as the "Trick or Treat Doors" with the three witches??

plus it was a lot more involving with the guests, and the trick or treat party seems a bit of a waste of a fantastic piece of set/theming for scarefest...
Starlight expresser

really want Duel Live back!!!!!!! that made Scarefest for me x
magicman85

I see the price's have gone up again, well for 5pm onward's anyway. Nice to see they are opening the mazes up in the day at a cheaper price.

For the most amazing Scarefest Experience, be sure to add on Maze tickets to your theme park tickets, you can book them online, right here.

Time slots for the mazes are priced as follows if you book before August 31st:

Carnival of Screams + New Maze

1pm-3pm  £9.00

3pm-5pm  £11.00

5pm-9pm  £13.00

Book online
Park Entry + Mazes
£36.00

£38.00

£40.00

Book online
Last edited by magicman85 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thom

And for Annual Pass holders:
Annual Pass holders can receive 20% off the 5pm-9pm timeslot on the day - limited numbers available. Alternatively Annual Pass holders can purchase a Scarefest Freedom ticket - Just £50pp - giving unlimited access to both mazes throughout the event, plus Fastrack entry to Terror of the Towers. Limited to first 100 passholders - on sale soon.
Anyone really gonna spend £50 on maze entry?  :roll:
spark

Sorry but those prices are crazy, why should you pay more at night? Both mazes are indoor anyway so it's always dark