Scarefest 2012: General Discussion (Spoiler Warning)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
PeteB

Stelios7 wrote: I don't think they'd bring back anything with actors at the HH due to the abuse they were getting in Scarefest 08. Hitting actors with fists to inflateable hammers. I remember seeing people running through it and freaking out constantly and lots of screaming, so it worked. But bad PR and actors injured.

Just go with Astwo's places for new areas.
Yes but that wouldn't happen if it was operated the same way as Zombies.. Otherwise what makes you think actors wouldn't get hit with big hammers in any other location?

Unless of course I've totally been kept in the dark about HH being an exclusive inflatable hammer area.... Oh wait, I just saw the sign at the entrance - "Warning: inflatable hammers must be used at all times"

And remember HH Live actually ran for 2 years, not just 1.  Can't have been that bad. M£rlins budget cuts killed it, not abuse.
Last edited by PeteB on Wed May 02, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towerstwiststurns

I hope Carnival of Screams stays this year, and ToTT, the one thing i really hope is 100% gone is Boiler House. For 2012, i would like to see Duel LIVE and Hex Live back, along with COS, ToTT and a new blood themed horror maze. And the epic red lighting on Nemesis. 2011 was a poor show.
roary01

If the Carnival is back, It NEEDS to be like it was in 2010!!

2011 was a BAD version of what was a great maze in 2010!!
djtruefitt

If carnival comes back it needs to be ran with all actors at all times (They should have spare actors for the mazes to cover breaks). There were so many times I did it last year when nothing happened in most rooms. It was only on the last day that I noticed half of the effects because there wernt any actors in them rooms the other days. Espeically if you are paying for it!

Personally I would like to see all of the mazes on park free, and then charge for the ones near the hotel (but make them a good quality to be worth the charge).
TuesdayNightChat

Join us for our terrifying Scarefest event during 13-14 October and 19 - 31 October and ride your favourite rides after dark as the Theme Park will be open until 21:00!

taken from thw webiste...wtf happened to 15th018th..thats when i usually go !!
....From The Keyboard of an AT enthusiast.....
mrbrightside

Merlins opening hours cuts happened...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
thefatone

Not particularly, just the half term holidays are in a stupid place this year.

We have 15 days of scarefest this year, we had 17 last year.
AstroDan

Scarefest is shorter, although I do have slight sympathy with the park because Staffordshires half term is at odds with other counties in the area. But it is still shorter - the shortest yet in fact.

I am worried about the day between SF and Fireworks. They WILL get guests expecting an event on...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
Shrek The Jack

Has anyone been to AT or going soon as I would like know if they have planted the corn fields they would have to planted by middle of March latest (So ive been told) so there could be early signs there I hope the Outdoor corn fields return as they were by far the best mazes and got to be honest got a little frightened :D when I was stuck in both house and Bus on the years they had the Corn fields.

I really don't mind paying extra for good mazes but really want them back over hotel as the atmosphere was a lot better in that field in the dark. I also think there should be at least 2 free mazes on site!!

I do like the rumor of a midnight walk through the Dark Forest when park is closed would defo pay for that as Alton Towers could be a scary place when all the lights go out!!!
Liam B

nah man when I was there in April there was no sign at all! nothing was there :) unfortunate really :/ but yes I am aswell really hoping they are at hotels again this year!
scarefestjoe

Personally guys I think that Alton Towers really need to up their game and put a lot more effort into scarefest especially as its supposed to be the busiest time of year! Now I've been going to Alton towers for Halloween since the very first year when room 13 was free for hotel guests. The year after got better and better and people in the hotel had many benefits. I remember one year I got a free scarefest fast pass with a few rides on and also a free fast track into ToTT as this was a perk of the hotel. This then goes to last year where hotel guests got absoloutely nothing. The mazes moving into the park was a bad move I personally feel. £12 for the two mazes for the standard was extremely poor I feel. I only paid £17 to go to Farmageddon and I must say this was absoloutely amazing! I feel that Alton need to bring back 2 brand new all singing all dancing mazes back at the hotels this year BRAND NEW - the park ToTT needs a complete revamp. Al the live experiences need to come back duel hex HH  perhaps 2 scare zones and 1 further free maze in the park perhaps on the lawns either by spin ball or by the towers itself, and if it has to be COS again well it seriously needs changing last year one wore POOR. It's not as if Alton should skimp all its budgets. At the end of the day people are cutting back on their luxuries and AT is an expensive day/weekend out and I feel if they don't do something then people are going to loose complete faith in them and people who want scares will go elsewhere for cheaper! I love AT but I was completely let down last year. It's got so much potential!
thefatone

Being pedantic here, but hotel guests got their usual rides fastrack last year.

They wouldn't create the field again, that concept has been used and died. Heard that boiler house won't be coming back either.

Would be interesting to see what happens this year. Really, really hoping they put more effort into the presentation of the park this year. 2011 was awful compared to the previous year. Kinda worried it'd be the same, if not worse than 11. Though, they are marketing scarefest as one of their only events this year, so could be getting a good budget for this..
spark

I think we would all take a smaller scarfest this year if it was high quality
NoseyElephant

Could be because they've not thought of anything yet or are keeping it top secret if they had but...
I've come back from a stay at the park and when riding on the sky ride the little advetisments in the pods said about scarefest something along the lines of:
"Why not come back in october (said all the dates) for our spooktacular scarefest! Ride all your favourite rides in the dark up till 9pm! Be brave and face our terrifying Terror of the Towers or join in with many of our family attractions"

So no mention of any new mazes  :?
PeteB

I have a feeling Scarefest will either be extremely small scale this year with just ToTT and CoS, or it will be dropped altogether.

The current word around the resort is this years will be the biggest and best scarefest yet but everything is being kept top secret and nothing has been 100% finalised with the move around of people in the entertainments management team who oversee scarefest.  Theyve got some fantastic surprises planned though which you wont be dissapointed with!
Dormiens-Dave

PeteB wrote: I have a feeling Scarefest will either be extremely small scale this year with just ToTT and CoS, or it will be dropped altogether.
Goes against what the general mood from the park is, they know its their busiest part of the season and its always profitable. Last years poor show was more i think down to bad management than lack of money.

I don't know much about whats coming but i think it might be quite good. They need to up the game on their scaremazes though this year.
AstroDan

Along with fireworks, Scarefest is now the most "peak" time of the year at Alton Towers. No way will it be cut!!!!
ryanlovesaltontowers

I'm hoping this year's Scarefest will be a definite improvement from last years. The lack of scarefest theming around certain areas, and the overuse of horrid white lighting created no atmosphere what so ever. The lighting around the park is a must for improvement.

Dark Forest
Dark Forest is never dark and is always flood lit by that car park type light. A greater atmosphere could be easily created if they installed LED lights (preferably DMX type) around the area, lighting the trees above and Rita's track. In the TH13TEEN queue, should the light be DMX, they could be set in sync with the soundtrack, for example a drop in brightness when the girl screams or  have the lights change colour to a bright white when she screams.

Forbidden Valley
Nemesis seems to have the lights it uses at Scarefest up all the time so there really is no excuse why they should not have gels on them. With Nemesis Sub-Terra arriving this year, I'm hoping the lighting around that area is minimal, and by minimal i mean the around of light shone on the area, please no speedy hire lights there. The queue line should maybe have lights in the vents, but the TVs use give of some light to brighten the queue up. Air is normally okay when it comes to lighting as i feel the track never needs to be lit up, it creates more mystery. But again the car park light there should really be gelled or turned off. The entrance sign could maybe have a few up lighters to shine the logo, but thats about it.

X-Sector
This area has been hit and miss the last few years, when lighting is conceded. The car park light was gelled last year, this looked good, but it still cast long shadows on the area and created hardly any atmosphere. The lights surrounding Oblivion's hole should return in some way or another. And the buildings within Oblivion's queue should be lit too. Oblivion is a ride where up lighters would be really effective, even if they were just white. I'm hoping SW7 has some kind of hazard lights installed too (like the ones surrounding Oblivion's hole).

Cloud Cuckoo Land
Being one of the main children areas of the park, Speedy Hire floodlights are a definite no-no. The buildings should all be light with lights matching there paint colour. Ice Age should be lit with lights that pulse through different colours of blue. and the twirling toadstool should have up lighters which are all different colours. (they could be attached to the fence surround the ride so the chairs are only illuminated when the ride is operating.

Gloomy Wood
This area never has any good lighting, just horrid Speedy Hire floodlights. There should be blue spot lights nestled in the tress and bushes so that portions of light seep out, this would be a great effect. (similar to the plain lights in the tress toward Katanga from Mutiny Bay) Additionally red laser lights could be installed, these lights best represent the ride so would suit the area well, and act as if 'zombies' are in the hedges too. Haunted Hollow last year had basic garden lights with filters on them. These were okay but were placed in completely wrong locations, they should have been put in place during the night when they could see where the beams off light would have been cast. Any maybe they shouldn't be placed so close to the path, they are advertising to be kicked by vandals and idiots.

The Rest of The Park
Most of the other areas looked okay, Towers Street especially now they have got the LED DMX lights. Improvements across other areas could be made though, Katanga is an areas which needs coloured lights in the trees, it just creates an amazing atmosphere. And Mutiny Bay should maybe install more permanent themed lighting, to refrain from using Speedy Hire.
spark

With regarding lighting, all they need are coloured gels. Red for nemesis and spinball, orange for oblivion, green dark forest and gloomy wood its not hard and would be cheap