Travellers on park

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
pixie-ro

This is the problem with society today, that this kind of behaviour is accepted because it is apparently just too difficult to stop it. So the rest of us just have to put up or shut up. I was there on 'traveller day' last year, and it was very intimidating. Lots of drunks, swearing, big gangs, shouting and girls wearing clothes that were, dare we say it, offensive. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a dress code. But no, we can't tell them not to dress like hookers because it might upset them. No, we can't tell them not to use offensive language because of freedom of speech. No we can't tell them not to get drunk during the day in a public, family orientated place because of their human rights. What about our rights as decent people to have a relaxed, safe day out with our families and friends? Society is going down the pan because we accept this behaviour and it is now being seen as the norm, not just by travellers but by people in general. I have lost count of the times I have been in a restaurant with children and a table of people sat next to us are 'effing and jeffing(!)' every other word at the top of their voices. What has happened to respect, for other people and ourselves? Sorry to rant off topic but I really don't understand how people are brought up to behave like this, and it makes me really upset that people just sit back with the 'that's how it is these days' attitude. Yes, that's how it is if you allow it to happen.
hex4ever

Honestly I think we should have a version of grumpy old men just for TTF

Th13teen wasn't over hyped, just over anticipated
pixie-ro

[quote=""hex4ever""]Honestly I think we should have a version of grumpy old men just for TTF[/quote]

I am a 'grumpy old man' and proud to be one! :P

By the way, just out of interest, did anyone get grabbed??
djtruefitt

I think the problem with the queue jumping is, even if staff saw it they probably wouldnt want to do anything about it incase they got shouted or or even abused. Espeically on a ride that may only have one or two members of staff working on it. They could call security but its probably too much trouble for them. However all the signs around the park say that queue jumping will get you kicked out the park, so really Alton should do what they say they will do!
CandyCaneKiss

I did witness one staff member trying to stop girls pushing past us in the Nemesis queue, he tried to explain to them they shouldn't be queue jumping but all they did was "mee-maw" back at him in a really immature fashion and pushed through anyway... considering these girls were in the late teens/early twenties, shows their mentality really :shock:
RustyRider

New attraction for 2012, Dale farm: what lies beneath....
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
RustyRider

I love how everyone is saying "im not being discrimatory towards travellers, but..." and then go on a massive rant about them.

I personally hate these people, they are scum, contribute nothing to society and do nothing but take take take from the government and local councils. they dress like tramps, give off an awful atmosphere everywhere they go and are abusive violent people with no remorse for their actions, yet the government just sit back and let them get on with their lives while wringing every last penny out of the people that actually support this country, its like they are the jocks and parliament are just the nerds who get wedgied in gym.

For all i care they can feck off back to wherever they came from and let us whore nemesis and blivvy without feeling threatened and scared while having to cover up our young un's ears!!

I live in weston supoer mare and anyone who has been there will no doubt of seen the beach lawns which run from the south of the beach to the pier. Now, a couple of years ago a masive group of gypsies moved onto the council owned lawns, and within a day had set up tents, fires and had partys on there for three weeks solid. During these three weeks, two annual events had to be cancelled which where usually held on the beach lawns, due to this our council lost ££££'s in tourism revenue.

when they eventually left, the state of the lawns was appaling and took more money making weston seafront look once again visitable. After this my opninon of gypsies changed.

RANT OVER!!
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
The Crab of Nemesis

I remember the problems we had with this when I worked there, all the shops chain down their tills and security is upped throughout the park. In fact I've been on station platform on air a couple of times when fights have broken out between them. It's pretty scary stuff.

It's good reaction from towers, but really it is appalling behaviour that shouldn't have to be dealt with.

And I've just read in the scarefest topic of a possible meet of travellers next sunday as well, when I'm going... Oh great...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.100756,1.099335
ImageSince 2008
Mattchu_19

[quote=""The Crab of Nemesis""]

And I've just read in the scarefest topic of a possible meet of travellers next sunday as well, when I'm going... Oh great...

[/quote]

Where did you read this? I really hope this is just rumour and not truth as I'm going Sunday!
The Crab of Nemesis

[quote=""Mattchu_19""][quote=""The Crab of Nemesis""]

[/quote]

Where did you read this? I really hope this is just rumour and not truth as I'm going Sunday![/quote]

Can't remember who, but someone posted it in the scarefest topic earlier. I'm hoping very much that it's just a rumour as well as it sounds like it ruined everyone's day last week :(

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.196195,0.978681
ImageSince 2008
Vik

Last year was the first time that Travellers had decended on mass on the first Sunday of Scarefest. Though it seems that Towers were prepared, i think due to a late tip off , and had plenty of security in place.

Prior to that, it was only normally Easter Sunday that travellers visited enmass.

One would assume then that the first Sunday of Scarefest in future years will be the same. The Traveller days more often than not seem to coincide with Uttoxeter races.

As for the rumour about this Sunday coming. I wouldn't read to much in to it just yet. Personally, I can't see them visiting enmass for two consecutive weeks. I could be wrong of course. I will be there myself on Sunday so will keep an eye out.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

coasterollie

Yeah apparently they're having an 'Official' trip to Alton this weekend (Sunday I think). So if the last one wasn't the main official one then I hate to be at the park this weekend.
TowersJake

So Dale Farms new location is Alton Towers ? OH GOD NO

ATJakee Youtube Channel !
cmpunk771

Personally the main reason I make the 3 hour trip from weston super mare instead of the 1 hour 30 trip to thorpe is so I can get away from the chavs and teenagers everywhere and when I was there on sunday I would have preferred a park full of chavs over travellers.

I am moving to America next week so that was my last trip to the towers and I'm very annoyed it ended with me leaving at 4 with a very bad experience.
Adam James

[quote=""TowersJake""]So Dale Farms new location is Alton Towers ? OH GOD NO[/quote]
Well the one-off Towers Arch Scare Zone certainly made me feel uneasy on Sunday evening. :|
Magrathea

[quote=""cmpunk771""]Personally the main reason I make the 3 hour trip from weston super mare instead of the 1 hour 30 trip to thorpe is so I can get away from the chavs and teenagers everywhere and when I was there on sunday I would have preferred a park full of chavs over travellers.

I am moving to America next week so that was my last trip to the towers and I'm very annoyed it ended with me leaving at 4 with a very bad experience.[/quote]

The main reason I make the 3 hour trip from Weston-super-Mare instead of going to Thorpe is because Alton is a far superior park, and even if some people are choosing to mess around I can still have a fantastic day with friends. :)

Sorry to hear that your last trip for now didn't turn out so well, what prompted you to leave so early?
WillPS

Pretty scummy all told. I really don't understand why we have to make concessions for these tossers.
Bear

At this point I would like to make it clear there is a difference between Gypsies and "travellers"; Gypsies are a nomadic Romani community with their own customs and way of life (much like folk of other countries). Travellers are just tax-dodgers who get wrecked on cheap cider and like to prove they're 'ard. The latter is what we MOSTLY saw last Sunday; there was a proportion of Gypsies there who are well-behaved pretty much all the time, it's the travellers that were a pain and caused all the trouble.

That's just to dispute any claims of "racism"; travellers aren't a race, just a bunch of idiots.
DiogoJ42

Good point. Romany Gypsies are a respectable people (if a little "different"). "Travellers" are not the same thing. They come from a variety of backgrounds, and are not a "race", any more than people who happen to live in council houses are a race.
AshleeK

[quote=""RustyRider""]I love how everyone is saying "im not being discrimatory towards travellers, but..." and then go on a massive rant about them.

I personally hate these people, they are scum, contribute nothing to society and do nothing but take take take from the government and local councils. they dress like tramps, give off an awful atmosphere everywhere they go and are abusive violent people with no remorse for their actions, yet the government just sit back and let them get on with their lives while wringing every last penny out of the people that actually support this country, its like they are the jocks and parliament are just the nerds who get wedgied in gym.

For all i care they can feck off back to wherever they came from and let us whore nemesis and blivvy without feeling threatened and scared while having to cover up our young un's ears!!

I live in weston supoer mare and anyone who has been there will no doubt of seen the beach lawns which run from the south of the beach to the pier. Now, a couple of years ago a masive group of gypsies moved onto the council owned lawns, and within a day had set up tents, fires and had partys on there for three weeks solid. During these three weeks, two annual events had to be cancelled which where usually held on the beach lawns, due to this our council lost ££££'s in tourism revenue.

when they eventually left, the state of the lawns was appaling and took more money making weston seafront look once again visitable. After this my opninon of gypsies changed.

RANT OVER!![/quote]

I completely agree with this. I'm a pretty liberal person, but even I can't see why everyone wants to avoid offending them. They are just glorified chavs. I've never met a friendly traveller in my life - they are rude, selfish, disgusting and dishonest. They believe they can get away with anything, and it makes me even madder to see far-left people jumping to their causes because there isn't a chance in hell that the travellers would return the favour. I've never seen the traveller 'community' jump to the defence of anyone else but themselves. If I was to start living like them - stealing, being rude and obnoxious, dressing like a whore - nobody would defend me, would they? And rightly so. Same with Dale farm, if anyone else acted like they did there would be no support. You wouldn't see left-wing people comparing it to genocide on Twitter. So why the hell is it different for them? If they want the same rights as everyone else, they should abide the rules like everyone else.