Alton From The Air - Pictures Uploaded

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Islander

Gloomy Wood would be rather win, along with the Towers/Hex/Merlin Studios area :)
Magrathea

I would really like to see the Merlin Studios area behind Cloud Cuckoo Land, especially the LC12 stuff! :)
barryzola

Flag Tower/Coaster Corner and anything over the gardens would be good. Don't get many good aerial shots of those bits usually.

Just take as many pics as you can bud :)

Look forward to seeing some of these.
fredward

As above! You could be an awesome spy plane if you take some shots of LC12 theming at the studios! :lol:

(and a pretty awesome person too!)

But something tells me they wont leave it outside for the whole world to see!

Thankyou very much for this!
Mi-Nigle

I think I need to make a list :P

Ok will try to get pictures of all these. Weather is looking cloudy there today, I have no idea whether clouds are under 3000ft high so I don't know how much I'll see. This will be the first time I have flown ever, so brand new experience for me. Never been near a plane before.

Wish me luck!
James

Good luck! Have fun. :)
Mi-Nigle

Well I've been up! Amazing experience, really enjoyable and everything looks surreal from the sky especially AT. Usually takes about an hour and a half to drive there from Sheffield so arriving there after 20 minutes felt weird!

To save money we circled Alton Towers once to save on fuel then headed back. It was over very quickly and I barely had time to take photos. Must have been over it a minute and a half? Anyway I did my best to get what you wanted, I'm yet to see how they've turned out. Will upload them later today so watch this space, start salivating! :)

---- Post Info Added ----

Ok, here they are! Enjoy! :D

The plane that took us up there. If you think it looks small, imagine it smaller and you'll be getting close. No room inside at all!

Me (left) and Kamen (right) in the tiny cabin.

First we came over the hotels then swung right and round the park clockwise.

Forbidden Valley here, it really was weird seeing the crafts fly round the track from that height. They looked like toys!

A shot of the Dark Forest from the first angle. The Thirteen building really doesn't look as pretty from above.

X-Sector with the bright orange Fanta colours. The Black Hole tent is looking a bit worse for wear!

The Towers from behind with Hex and the Driving School at the bottom there. Never noticed that 'S' before in the small courtyard area.

Was difficult to get a shot of the Gardens, this was the best I had. It does give you an idea of scale though.

The second view of the Dark Forest, the better of the two I think.

For those of you who wanted to see the Merlin Studios area this is it. A bit of coaster corner off to the right there. I didn't manage to get any shot of the flag tower though unfortunately. It happened so quickly that I just didn't have time to think about everything.

A shot of the entrance and the surrounding areas. You can see how little of the lake is taken up by Battle Galleons.

Gloomy Wood! It just looks so small and insignificant!

A wider shot of the Towers and surrounding areas.

And a final shot of the Hotels as we swung back round!

Really cool day and I'm surprised at how well the pics came out. If you want to see some bigger ones the Flickr Photostream can be found here. I'd rather these weren't used on websites etc for now but I will leave them up to view on here and on Flickr for you to look at. Not decided what I'm doing with them yet. :)
Altonator

Those pics are totally AWESOME :D :D :D :D cheers for taking and sharing them Mi-Nigle
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
Islander

Thank you so, so much for these Nigel, they're flippin' awesome! Really, really excellent shots, and it's lovely to see the resort from above. Thanks :D
barryzola

Excellent pictures there Mi-Nigle. You've done well to get some very clear pics there considering the small amount of time you had over the park. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the pics. If you're going to send full quality pics to anyone, i would make sure you watermark them, as some photo selling websites try to charge a pretty penny for similar aerial shots. Looks like you had a good day. I'm glad the pilot knew what he was doing in that plane :)

P.S - I'd be very happy to share them on my site (in the sig below) on their own page with you fully credited (they would obviously be smaller in viewing size if you look at the general size of pics on the site, so wouldn't require the full size files. Watermarking or whatever would be cool. Just something for you to consider when you've made your mind up bud :)
Thorpefandan

Wow. That really does show a different perspective to the park. The picture of the towers and Dark forest really surprises me, I thought the Dark Forest was a lot further back than that.
It\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bobs radio show.

mrbrightside

Wow, amazing pictures - the place looks incredible from the air!
ImageImage
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Fantastic pictures Mi-Nigle, thanks for sharing them with us. :D
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
CoasterCrazyChris

Thanks a lot, they're great! :)

X-Sector is a tip though.. :|
Rita 2005

Fantastic Photos, thanks for posting.
Mi-Nigle

Thanks very much for the comments! Was a great pleasure to do it.

Like I say I'll leave them here and on my Flickr photostream. I'll PM you barryzola if anything changes :)
barryzola

Snorted. Once again, really good pics :D