Harness Popping

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

Has your harness ever poped?

Poll runs till Wed Jan 01, 2053 9:37 pm

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 73
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

What I mean by popping is when your harness opens by 1 click mid-ride.
JoshM

Yes.

I remember when it happened too one of my friends who was ridding his first coaster.

His restraint popped open one notch while going up the lift-hill and even though I told him countless times he'd still be fine, he didn't believe me.

He's yet too ride another coaster since that incident. :lol:
Benedique

This has happened to me three separate times on Nemesis (all on meets with DEF). I thought it was some strange coincidence the second time it happened but by the third time Id realised the problem.

When riding with DEF it's common practice to do stupid poses for the camera, a popular one being the 'oh look Iamb falling out pose'. Every time we decided to do said pose whilst on the lift hill so I used to yank my restraint down further than it was in the station to avoid feeling like I'd actually fall out whilst pretending to do so for the camera.

The three times that my restraint has popped has been the three times when I've managed to get it to 'lock' further on the lifthill. AKA I haven't actually got it to lock so the damn thing has popped on me mid-ride. It did once pop just before the on-ride photo and I thought that I was falling out for a split second so the ORP was hilarious, a look of death that I've never seen on anyone before. I'm gutted I didn't buy it now.
Adam

I've never have it popping open, but I have had it closing a few notches quite often. Entering the station in a state I can only describe as painful crushing! :evil:
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
DiogoJ42

I've had this on Oblivion a few times. Usually just as you tip over the edge and your weight falls into the restraint. Crapped my pants the first time it happened! :P
HAJiME

Not at Alton, but I've had it on Shockwave - my seat decided to rise a few inches too. :/ That wasn't the same thing you guys are experiencing I don't think...

It's as if it was never locked into that original click you thought it was on in the first place. Presumably it works like a ratchet and you have to have pulled it down enough into it and forward again for it to lock? Anyone know for sure?

Don't_Look_Down

[quote=""HAJiME""]Not at Alton, but I've had it on Shockwave - my seat decided to rise a few inches too. :/ That wasn't the same thing you guys are experiencing I don't think...
[/quote]

Same here! I've noticed the Shockwave seats/harnesses regularly do this. It seems to happen on the red train mostly, too :?
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
MinteButtons

I've had it on Nemesis and Oblivion, normally on Oblivion it ratchets up on the holding brake and then staples me right into the seat on the brake run.

I think it's because I have very weak arms, so I manage to pull down the restraints, but normally to one or two ratchets too big for me. Normally the restraint has a bit of give, so I suppose there's more leeway for it to move up and down that if it's locked tight.
ATJakee96

It happened to me on shockwave
NickT04

Well this threads gone down an entirely different route to where I first thought it was going!
AT TeeJay

This happens a hell of a lot to me especially on Nemesis
---- You\'d Better Not Go Alone ---
euan.monk.

Always Happens to me on Oblivion as you sit looking over the edge or going up the lift hill (It always S***'s me up). And on Nemesis it always get's tighter during the ride and gives me a cramp in my leg. :oops: .
Mi-Nigle

Haha it's funny you should make a topic now as this happened to me for the first time on Thursday.

Was on first drop on nemesis, it popped, I thought of some swear words, then quickly realised I was safe :P
WillPS

Submission, all the time.
Big Dave

Technically incorrect title as it doesn't pop up a notch (as in pop open and then closed), just merely slides from an mid-way position into a locked position. It can and does happen, but doesn't happen anywhere near as much as people make out.

Most of the time its simply people holding the restraint down and then when they put their weight on it, the restraint moves, which is going to happen when you look at how a restraint works. To actually slide and move up one notch requires the restraint to be not properly locked in the first place and then for the rider to not touch it at all until the point when it slides upwards. If at any time the rider moves the restraint down, it will not "pop" up.

Poorly maintained restraints or hydraulic restraints can move, but the standard ratchet systems cannot physically pop up once they have locked correctly.

Quick paint drawing time:

I find it funny when people say that Air's restraint popped open. Trust me, if it did, there wouldn't be much left of you by the time you got back to the station :P
Last edited by Big Dave on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillPS

Unless the restraint is manufactured by Maurer-Sohne.
Big Dave

Which classes as poorly manufactured restraints :P (thats if you can call them restraints to start with :P)
HAJiME

[quote=""Big Dave""]Technically incorrect title as it doesn't pop up a notch (as in pop open and then closed), just merely slides from an mid-way position into a locked position. It can and does happen, but doesn't happen anywhere near as much as people make out.

Most of the time its simply people holding the restraint down and then when they put their weight on it, the restraint moves, which is going to happen when you look at how a restraint works. To actually slide and move up one notch requires the restraint to be not properly locked in the first place and then for the rider to not touch it at all until the point when it slides upwards. If at any time the rider moves the restraint down, it will not "pop" up.

Poorly maintained restraints or hydraulic restraints can move, but the standard ratchet systems cannot physically pop up once they have locked correctly.

Quick paint drawing time:

I find it funny when people say that Air's restraint popped open. Trust me, if it did, there wouldn't be much left of you by the time you got back to the station :P[/quote]
Thank you Big Dave for your awesome post! I also like how my guess was correct. :D

And lol... MS. So, what was happening when a MS spinner lapbar unlocks mid-ride? The car vibrates so much that the tooth pulls back? When you say poorly maintained, what needs maintaining to prevent it?
Big Dave

The teeth can get worn and if it goes un-noticed, they CAN (very unlikely even on a MS) come apart.

Can I also add, that no B&M (so that's Air, Nemesis, Oblivion or Nemesis inferno, etc) has ever, ever, ever, ever (think you get the idea) suffered a mechanical or electrical problem, resulting in injury, where the ride was to blame. Pretty decent safety record considering the number of rides out there if you ask me and Im sure that many other manufactures have a similar record too!
siralgenon

My restraint has opened fully! for the first time on the first drop of Dragon Khan at PortAventura and has 'popped' once on Nemesis. :|