Going Alone?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AT TeeJay

Some of the arguments can get quite annoying sometimes like once my friend wanted to ride Enterprise like 5 times and I hate that ride so had to wait for him all in all wasted about 1 hour and ended up falling out, I'd just like to try it out and get there for some ERT coaster whore then catch the bus and train home if I get bored I only live an hour away. Nobody to go with and I want to ride some god damn coasters as personally to me there almost as good as sex. I'm not bothered about having some winey mate next to me saying he can't be bothered running to nemesis before the rush or can't be bothered to ride Oblivion for the 9th time in a row. If you love coasters you wouldn't give a toss about some chav looking at you because your alone Rollercoasters would be much better than company to me
---- You\'d Better Not Go Alone ---
AdrenalineAlex

Just realised I posted the same thing in the same topic pretty much. Anyway!

[quote=""Don't_Look_Down""]@AdrenalineAlex - Not one person has ever batted an eyelid at me queueing or walking round alone. Most people are having too much fun to even notice.

@Blaze - You really can't beat the freedom of going by yourself. AT is an expensive day out as it is, so you might as well get your money's worth.[/quote]
I know they probably couldn't give a flying monkey! But it's really down to my own securities, by all means go on your own if you're comfortable with your own company, I just need to sort myself out before I do it entirely on my own! I know it seems ridiculous but I guess it's just a phobia of mine which I need to over come.
Last edited by AdrenalineAlex on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pennywise

I actually quite enjoy going around theme parks on my own, though admittedly I'm not the most sociable of people anyway. It's nice to have the freedom to do whatever you want, without faff or argument, sure I prefer visiting with good company. But I'd rather go around a park on my own than either not visit, or visit with somebody who I don't particularly like, for the sake of having company.

The only scenario in which I would feel awkward is when riding 'group rides', such as The Flume, Congo River Rapids & Duel... and I would consider myself a rather paranoid person with regards to people passing judgement on me... but, as Islander stated, I don't think anybody else really cares whether you're on your own or not.

:)
bobblebob

I go alone alot and its great. One other question tho, would you go to the All you can eat pasta and pizza on your own? I really like the food there, but feel that place more than the rollercoasters is a social place to eat, so would feel awkward sitting eating on my own.

Anyone done it?
.Will

[quote=""bobblebob""]I go alone alot and its great. One other question tho, would you go to the All you can eat pasta and pizza on your own? I really like the food there, but feel that place more than the rollercoasters is a social place to eat, so would feel awkward sitting eating on my own.

Anyone done it?[/quote]

It is a little strange eating alone but if you have a book or something you soon forget about it. You shouldn't let what other people think or even what you think other people are thinking change your decisions or stop you from doing something.

Go for it and give it ago. If it is making you happy then who else cares!

Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

[quote=""bobblebob""]I go alone alot and its great. One other question tho, would you go to the All you can eat pasta and pizza on your own? I really like the food there, but feel that place more than the rollercoasters is a social place to eat, so would feel awkward sitting eating on my own.

Anyone done it?[/quote]

Very bad suggestion, but dress up as some coperate business man or something... Naa, just go With Will's suggestion!
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
bobblebob

[quote="".Will""][quote=""bobblebob""]I go alone alot and its great. One other question tho, would you go to the All you can eat pasta and pizza on your own? I really like the food there, but feel that place more than the rollercoasters is a social place to eat, so would feel awkward sitting eating on my own.

Anyone done it?[/quote]

It is a little strange eating alone but if you have a book or something you soon forget about it. You shouldn't let what other people think or even what you think other people are thinking change your decisions or stop you from doing something.

Go for it and give it ago. If it is making you happy then who else cares!

:)[/quote]

Yea i totally agree with you there, but sometimes its easier said than done (for me at least anyway).
.Will

I understand bobblebob. I really do! I am a little overweight and I always seem to wonder what people are thinking and saying, but I have to get over it and stop it from bothering me.

If it did I wouldn't step out of the house in the morning.

bobblebob

True, and thanks for the help
Badgy

I have no problem with going to an amusement park/theme park on my own.

Generally I avoid weekends and do use single rider queues. Quite often I do get chatting to someone in a queuline somewhere.

As someone pointed out earlier, there are no arguements about what to ride, when to arrive or leave. No faff.

In reality, nobody else would know or even care that your on your own. If they thought about it at all they would assume you were riding alone because none of your group wanted to.

I wouldnt just limit this to AT or other well known theme parks. I spent 2 days on my own at Cedar Point. Massive ride count and did all the rides that might not be high on the list of a group.

My main aim though when planning such a trip is to find out when the park is at its quietest. Long queues do not make for a good solo day.

Also as a lone adult, I tend to stay away from Cloud Cuckoo land and the like for fairly obvious reasons. The flume isn't the best or Rapids but the main coasters are still fun.

Having said all that, I do really enjoy the TTF meets, but I guess ride count takes a back seat to more social times.

Badgy
WANTED - Schroedingers Cat - Dead or Alive!
Don't_Look_Down

[/quote]

Sure why not? If that's what you fancy, then you should do it. You could always just pretend you're waiting for someone :)
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

[quote=""Badgy""]
Also as a lone adult, I tend to stay away from Cloud Cuckoo land and the like for fairly obvious reasons. The flume isn't the best or Rapids but the main coasters are still fun.

Badgy[/quote]

Yeah I guess it would be pretty awkward when you say 1 person. :|
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Islander

[quote=""Stelios7""][quote=""Badgy""]

Badgy[/quote]

Yeah I guess it would be pretty awkward when you say 1 person. :|[/quote]
It's really not, if anything it's quite useful as you can fill spaces.
starbugger1303

But, it was pretty awkward when i went on the monorail over to the hotels to meet my mum and dad

The man said "how many guys?" (he emphasized guys) in which I replied with "one" then his face dropped and said "find any spaces".

I felt sooooo awkward! :oops:
John

I get the monorail on my own all the time - if I'm driving to Towers for a TTF meet I very rarely meet up with anyone until I get to the entrance plaza, it's perfectly acceptable to be on the monorail on your own!
Eagie

Anyone done it?[/quote]

Been there many times when I visited by myself. I really don't see why being by yourself should change what you do (with the exception of the water rides which I see more as a group thing).

I am not aware that anyone was pointing at me whilst I was at the salad bar and saying how sad I was being there by myself - if they were it says more about them than it does about me.

I am comfortable in groups but also in my own company.
AT TeeJay

I did go today on my own thanks to you guys and it was great apart from the fact of it being busy (Oblivion was 1 hour long Q says it all normally you walk on) anyways it was great I left at 3:30 as I was bored but that's only because I was round every ride by mid-day and by 3 all the queues were full there were some problems though like when I went to get a KFC as I went in early to avoid the lunchtime rush I was sat on my own with just some chavs behind me they didn't say anything but I was paranoid also travelling wasn't as good with company as its a long train journey from London there wasn't much to do also on the bus. In short it was a good day and if you plan to go solo go for it you'll have a awesome time but don't go on a busy day where your bored in the queue's also space out your time DON'T RUSH otherwise you'll be bored by 12 like I was also if you go on a busy day TOP TIP: Use early ride time I got on Oblivion and Rita twice before 10. I hope this post helps just some suggestions from my first time going solo also highlight of the day was barging threw a load of chavs flashing my pass a strolling on in and then one of them starts getting angry saying "why does he get to go through Chelsea scum" not the best of shirts to wear but are well it provided some laughs.
---- You\'d Better Not Go Alone ---
RustyRider

On the whole eating alone subject, if anyone Sniggers or makes a passing comment just tell them your local and waiting for a few mates, they'll just be jealous that this is your local hang out spot.

Or just say you work here and that your on lunch.

I used to think visiting on your own was sad but after going to Thorpe last month n having to ride most of them by myself (disabled relative with me and mrs) I quite enjoyed it. Just make conversation with the person your sat next to n force them to put their hands up high!
I actually bought and orp of me n this crazy woman on stealth!
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
Anthony

I wouldn't because I don't like theme parks enough to go alone. For me, they are a social thing and I've ridden Nemesis (my favourite ride) alone and really not enjoyed it.

When I see someone alone in a queue or on a ride I only notice because I wonder if they are an enthusiast. If I weren't aware of sites like this or people like some of those on here, I wouldn't give those people a second thought. (In the nicest possible way, of course).
Don't_Look_Down

Eating by yourself isn't too much of a problem. I usually have fresh fish and chips, and watch Ripsaw for a bit. No one bats an eyelid :)
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!