SkyRide Closure - Now Reopen

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

The SkyRide will be closed for some time because it needs a new cable.
Last edited by Alex Tyler on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZozMeakizz

Oh Dear, What's happened this time? :P
R.I.P. Beastie!! You were my first terror!! :')
http://zoztpg.blogspot.co.uk/
barryzola

Cable? Na, it'll be alright without that :wink:
Adam

Have they set fire to the other station this time? :lol:

I know only 1 is left to be refurbed, but surly you can afford at least 1 without setting fire to it! :wink:
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
joshc807

[quote="".Adam""]Have they set fire to the other station this time? :lol:

I know only 1 is left to be refurbed, but surly you can afford at least 1 without setting fire to it! :wink:[/quote]

Why would they refurbish it, if it's going to cost money and it still functions they won't bother :wink:
Last edited by joshc807 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

Am I the only one that's just waiting for the Towers Street station to burn down? :P

Not that I want it to burn down or anything...
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

I think it the cable from TS to FV life has come to an end
Dormiens-Dave

The rumour seems to be the Towers street to valley cable has more than the safe number of faults in it and needs replacing... which means the skyride is down for the rest of the season.

And given recent events i would be slightly cautious about suggesting any previous event on the skyride was for the benefit of making a claim without making it very clear your joking... Without proof that is easily constituted as Libel
cheeky_becky

Oh well, at least some of you can walk around while the weather is warm and sunny :mrgreen:

IF there will be plenty of sun this summer, that is :?
formula1fan

One question. What proof do you have that this is the case?
Dormiens-Dave

The sky ride has been closed for a couple of weeks now (well a week and half), all the gondolas have been taken off the system... and the often reliable TTF rumour mill.
formula1fan

Ah. Fair enough. This means a lot of walking when I'm up there on the 29th... :|
.Will

It's not that much walking really! If you don't go down into the gardens too deep you can walk to most of the areas in the same time it would take you on the Skyride.

:)
CoasterCrazyChris

Closed all season!?

:shock:
Big Dave

Due to the potential safety problems caused by installing a new cable, it can only really be done during closed season. Also I also think there is another problem with the ride too

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Magrathea

The Skyride truly seems to be cursed, can it not go a season without having some major downtime these days? :(

However, I guess we can all be thankful that safety measures are being carried out as strictly as this, despite the inconvenience it causes.
Fiyero

I do hope it isn't closed all season. I am going in October and was looking forward to using it (only got one go last time). I guess replacing the cable is a mammoth task though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
formula1fan

Surely, Merlin need to look at some other form of cross-park transport? Has the Skyride had its day? This is the third time in five seasons that the Skyride has suffered extensive downtime, so maybe Merlin do need to look at possible replacements for the Skyride...
Magrathea

[quote=""formula1fan""]Surely, Merlin need to look at some other form of cross-park transport? Has the Skyride had its day? This is the third time in five seasons that the Skyride has suffered extensive downtime, so maybe Merlin do need to look at possible replacements for the Skyride...[/quote]

The thing is, short of reinstating the train (and of course, there's no space to put the track, well certainly not where it used to be) what other solutions are there? They can hardly have shuttle busses driving through the park, or "land trains", so short of Segway hire I don't see a solution...
haydn!

[quote=""formula1fan""]Surely, Merlin need to look at some other form of cross-park transport? Has the Skyride had its day? This is the third time in five seasons that the Skyride has suffered extensive downtime, so maybe Merlin do need to look at possible replacements for the Skyride...[/quote]

And none of the those downtimes could have been avoided. Both fires were accidental, and had nothing to do with the capability, age or safety of the ride. As with anything, it can only lasts so long. Once the cable is replaced it will be back up and running as reliably as ever.

In the grand scheme of things, this is no different to Nemesis having it's wheels replaced, or some of it's supports re-footed. Or Oblivion having its restraints replaced. Did you cry out for their closure and replacement then?