Ticket prices up again.

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
DiogoJ42

Right, that's it. I hereby officially renounce Alton Towers. Those of you who keep going there week after week have no right to complain, quite frankly. You are only making it worse by bumping up the attendance figures.

Next time a non enthusiast mate wants to go to Alton, I will be sure to point them in the direction of a non Merlin park. It won't be hard... just point out the price difference.

I seriously think we have a case for taking them to trading standards over this.
AstroDan

Diogo, we can only keep abreast of the things going on at the park, by visiting. And it is through these visits that we have discussion here on TTF, and thus are able to lobby the park.

The extra charge for people using vouchers is a genuine watchdog case.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
towers freak

Alton Towers: Where the money grabbing never ends ! :shock:
James

[quote=""Nightfall""]What are they smoking?[/quote]
Our £20 notes by the looks of it.

I think Merlin need to go and talk to Frank.
themealgang

Disgusting; I'm surprised that Merlin have managed to get away with this and still remain #1. These offers are so confusing it's almost as though they are trying to intimidate guests before they have entered through the gate! This is such a poor show from Alton Towers, and to break the £40 mark is just crazy...
Thank God for the MAP! :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Dormiens-Dave

The legality of this seems questionable but i cant imagine they would do something that would put them at risk of trading standards, but then again maybe they would.

As for the decision itself well... is anyone surprised?

seems like the kind of backward logic the park management (who shall remain nameless just incase they wish to make an idiot of themselves by taking legal action) have been using all season.

This is deception, its petty and ridiculous why does He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named not understand that people come to the park with a set idea of how much they will spend, you increase the prices anywhere in the park and they just buy less elsewhere in the park.

Unless the average persons take home pay improves you will never increase take per head and by increasing the apparent gate price you put people off coming... does it surprise the management team that parks like Drayton are having much better seasons than Towers when they offer better value for money and have actually installed new attractions AND spruced up the park. Make your ticket price a loss leader get more heads in park and rake in the money... every other business seems to understand this... does anyone know why Alton Towers have their head in the sand?

I go regular to Alton Towers because i have an annual pass and to see very good friends... but compared to last year my attendance has plummeted this year... i just dont really want to go anymore and unless it is to see friends i just dont think i would have bothered at all this season.

Shame really Alton Towers... You have turned someone who has been to your park and loved it every season since 1989 (i was 5) into someone who quite frankly has been telling friends and family not to bother this year and try Drayton or LWV... ohh look another symptom of your idiocy word of mouth goes as well.

2012 better be a bloody amazing attraction or your doomed.

P.S - Unnameable MD of Merlin Entertainments: initials NV, may need a permenant dressing room in the watchdog studios soon

EDIT: if anyone wants to here is the watchdog page http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/
AstroDan

Images of new pricing tariff:

It is DISGUSTING that they have a higher price for those using vouchers. Who is making these decisions?
Vik

Quite an underhand way to get a few extra pence out of people by charging more for those using 2 for 1's or 1/2 price entry. is it really worth it for 60p? Surely things can't be that desperate? Are the quenchers which a thrust down peoples throats as soon as they enter Towers Street not selling well enough? You are the weekest link..Goodbye... :shock: Go an Anne, give em' hell.

One thing I have noted recently, now quite a few people I know have visited Alton Towers this season, is everyone, and I mean everyone, despite the fact that they say they have had a good day, are all horrified at the car parking charge of £6. Horrified enough to suggest that next year they will go elsewhere. And for the first time ever, I have suggested Drayton Manor. (Blackpool often produces looks of horror, which is a shame as the Pleasure Beach has really upped its act in recent years.)

The whole pricing structure seems a complete mess, with so many extras being charged for, as well as all the columns with 'Our Price' +vat' 'Price you pay'. The pricing chart on the Alton Towers website now looks more like a bus timetable than a simple pricing guide.

People only want to see one set prices, and they are the prices they are expected to pay. No separate price for people paying with BOGOF's or 1/2 price vouchers, no Our Price, +VAT & Price You Pay, just a simple Price you Pay.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

JD81

You have to question the legality of such a move, however no one can be surprised that the prices have increased. With all that's gone on with Merlin this year and with RPI running at close to 5% it's certainly no surprise to me.

£40 is a psychological barrier many will refuse to cross even with a voucher. Maybe a different strategy is needed, scrap the BOGOFF vouchers and lower the price to around the £20-£23 mark. Merlin would probably achieve greater revenues from this by increasing the foot fall and although guests end up paying the same, the barrier is removed somewhat. £20 is pretty decent value for a full day out imo as that amount of cash doesn't exactly go very far these days.
DiogoJ42

Oh. how I would love to be "allowed" to contact watchdog :roll: Unfortunately even as an ex member of staff, it would be a conflict of interest, since I am planning on working freelance for them... :roll:
(I had to sign a bigger contract when they made me redundant than when they hired me!)
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Grr... I will pay the new amount on Saturday in disbelief.

But, Nemmy, and Blivvy make it worth it! :D

Writing from the Apple Store.

Will write more later.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Dormiens-Dave

The reason for BOGOF's is two fold...

one... it provides free advertising

two... People feel they have had a good deal and will spend more in park.

Only works though if the ticket price appears to be within reason in the first place
Islander

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]Oh. how I would love to be "allowed" to contact watchdog :roll: Unfortunately even as an ex member of staff, it would be a conflict of interest, since I am planning on working freelance for them... :roll:[/quote]
I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure plenty of other members will be writing in, myself included when I get a mo ;)

I mean, wow. I would be the first to describe myself as a Merlin fanboy, but that love is (finally) starting to fade. This is ridiculous...
MinteButtons

Surely they can tell they've made the wrong decision when the people who will stick up for them; try and justify things ,persuade people to go and try to spread the alton "magic" are expressing distaste and visiting different parks; even recommending non-merlin parks to people.

If a friend moans about the price to me, I will always try to show them why it's worth it; the beautiful gardens, the Towers, the atmosphere and Nemmy.
Now I just don't bother. :|
Last edited by MinteButtons on Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagie

Why suddenly the outcry? I mentioned the discrepancies with the on the day prices depending on whether you use a 2-4-1 or whether you get the special on the day price on Alton's facebook page on Thursday and got dismissed for arguing over a few pence.
Dormiens-Dave

Facebook is fickle, TTF is the place to be :D

I have also e-mailed Watchdog, i wish i didn't care about the park but i do.
Eagie

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]Facebook is fickle, TTF is the place to be :D [/quote]

I post on both but Facebook takes up more of my time responding to repeated questions and people who cant be bothered to go to the AT website or do an easy search of the internet for answers. :wink:
Islander

Here's a thought: perhaps Merlin have flooded the market with BOGOFs to far too great an extent, much more so than they aimed to, and so now they're attempting to recoup lost profit 60p at a time?
Last edited by Islander on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dave

Who needs Watchdog when you can contact Consumer Direct!

[url=https://ssl.datamotion.com/form.aspx?co ... &to=advice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]https://ssl.datamotion.com/form.aspx?co ... &to=advice[/url]
cheeky_becky

DISLIKE! [-X

This is one of the reasons I haven't been to Alton Towers in two years now!

They takes the mick! :mad: #-o