Fixing my rollercoaster phobia!

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
newrider

Ilovecoasters wrote: I am completely biased but I agree with thrillmad.

Unless someone dragged me onto nemesis unconscious and brought me back at the top if the lift ...
You may be right there. I thought I found coasters terrifying, but I discovered (like in tyrex's account) that I didn't at all - I guess you can say I never really had anything to fear.

On the other hand, if you've been on rides and found them consistently terrifying, I am indeed not sure much can be done. (Not a bad thing - you'd just be one of the small fraction of the world who doesn't like intense coasters!)

But I don't think you should come to that conclusion without trying a bunch of different types - after all, there are lots of different sensations (drops, inversions, acceleration, fast turns etc) and you might find each of those differently 'scary'/unpleasant.

Air features no significant drops, the position you ride in negates the inversions, and there aren't really any tight turns or moments of very rapid acceleration. As such I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

One more thing that I wish someone told me... coasters look MUCH faster than they are, and inversions look like they last much longer than they do, when viewed from outside the ride. (The speed looks higher for the same reason cars look like they are driving past you fast on the road, and inversions look longer because you watch the whole train inverting and hear the screams of every row throughout, whereas the amount of time one row of seats spends inverting is a fraction of that).
Burniel

danny.g97 wrote: I think you should go straight in and do oblivion :lol:
PhoenixStudios wrote: Air first. Rita or Blivvy second (which I assume you haven't been on yet?).
IF I ever make it up to the likes of you, then it will be one new ride per visit max. (1 Visit = once or twice a year)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
obliviongirl

Good luck Dan! My brother (aged nine but still) is also terrified of coasters. However, the one coaster he has been on (other than the Runaway Train and Vampire at Chessington, although he vowed to never ride Vampire again after it momentarily broke down while we were at the top of the first lift hill) is Air, and he loved it! He is the most anti-coaster person I know, so if he can do it, so can you. :) I hope you enjoy it, and from there, can branch out onto other coasters (ie. Nemesis!). ;)
NickiFan

danny.g97 wrote: I think you should go straight in and do oblivion :lol:

Oblivion worked for me.
I was nervous, went on it and loved her ever since. Been on nearly 20 times since last june. GO ON OBLIVION. IT IS A CURER.
Burniel

New big (or for me at least) ride to add to my list:

Wilde Maus XXL - Winter Wonderland
Last edited by Burniel on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NemeJaney

Get someone to physically drag you onto the front seat of Stealth, like I did to my poor friend!  :twisted:
Her phobia is cured now, so it must have worked! :D
Burniel

NemesisJaney54 wrote: Her phobia is cured
It probably wasn't a real phobia then
NemeJaney

Ilovecoasters wrote:
NemesisJaney54 wrote: Her phobia is cured
It probably wasn't a real phobia then
You're right, it probably wasn't!. I bet it was just a mini-phobia with behavioural exaggerations, knowing her. :D
tyrex

newrider wrote: I did indeed tyrex... thanks very much for it!!! Some really useful stuff there. I won't feel I've really conquered it until I've done all the rides at Thorpe Park though. I've started a ridecount like yours... actaully I'm quite lucky since my ridecount encompasses every ride I have ever ridden in my lifetime, rather than every ride after a certain date!
Yep, I did the same, have a nice little list of everything I've done, in order. Call me OCD :)

Too bad you have to wait until next year for Thorpe Park though, but I'm confident you'll be able to do it all if you really want to. As you say, nothing is as bad as the marketing says, and funnily enough even standing there watching is not necessarily the best policy - most of them are designed to scare the bejeezus out of the queuers!
newrider wrote: I'm looking forward to trying Nemesis Inferno for sure... and being able to weigh in on the biggest debate of all time since Coca Cola and Pepsi ;-)
To be honest, I've ridden loads of B&M inverts now and it isn't a debate...

Nemesis Inferno is fun.

Nemesis is world class.

You definitely picked a good ride to help sort your phobia ;)
Whoguru5 wrote: I remember going on Air for the first time with my friends on a school trip. We went on the single rider queue, I was soo scared  :cry: but after I rode it I loved Air, and every trip since I rode another of the big coasters finishing with Oblivion (which I rode 3 times that day  :D ) on fireworks night which was also my 18th birthday. Also tyrex have you ridden The Smiler now if so thoughts?
Yes mate, a few times now. It's a fun ride, but doesn't have that 'wow factor' for me, sadly.
newrider

Ilovecoasters wrote: New big (or for me at least) ride to add to my list:

Wilde Maus XXL - Winter Wonderland
OMG - I have been wanting to go on that (and to Winter Wonderland in general) for ages. Every single evening I've had some reason why I couldn't. It looks great though!!!
lf2001

When you get to any park, start on a ride that'll warm you up or something. Then you might not be as scared to go on the bigger rides.