Ride breakdowns

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
elba777

Hi (first topic), today a lot of rides broke down. I was on Duel and it had to be evacuated and then Hex had to be evacuated and then the River Rapids broke down. I know Air and Skyride are prone to breaking down but 3 rides that rarely break down in one day? Any other stories like this or any info on todays breakdowns?
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

I think you were just very unlucky, I personally have never seen Duel or Hex evac'd (not to say they haven't) but Duel especially must have had a problem as they would be very reluctant to evac.

Th13teen, Rita & Air occasionally but anything else is a rare occasion. :)
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
djtruefitt

I have to say I would love to be evacuation on a ride like Hex or Duel just to go behind the scenes a bit. For me its usually TH13TEEN that breaks down just as im at the station.
Jollylee11

Sonic for me but only when i have gone into the single riders line.
Rita also breaks down alot for me but ive not have a th13teen break down yet...
SEALIFE

I've broke down on Hex. Nothing major happened lights came on and broke down message being played every few minutes then we were all given priority pass's and evacuated threw a fire exit.
Merlin

I remember queing for Air first thing in the morning. It had only been open to the public for about four days when it was very first opened. There seemed to be a problem with the harnesses and the seats wasn't assuming the position when suddenly there was a loud bang and one of the black push rods/arms attached to the station (they push the seats in the down wards position) snapped. I never got to ride Air that day and had to come back a few months later to ride Air for the first time :cry:

About 6 years ago, I've been on Duel when it broke down, they didn't evacuate us, we were stuck on it for about 20minutes which seemed to be an eternity. When they got the cars running again, we went around the rest of Duel with the lights on and special effects off. With the lights on, it surprising how basic the whole ride is but very effective when the lights are out. We were given one fast track pass as we exit the ride as compensation.

Usually it's normal to have a small number of rides to break down whilst queing, only to be up and running again.
DiogoJ42

:lol: Most of us would give our right :censored: to be evac'ed from Duel mid-ride. ;)
James

I was on park yesterday and there were a lot of breakdowns.

I was in Hex when it broke down in the morning, we went through everything until the vault where we were all standing for quite a while, they said that they were having a few problems with the vault.

Walked to Duel and that was broken down, Skyride was broken down(was queuing for it at the time) and the Rapids closed down too. They even drained the River Rapids until filling it up then operating it again, is this normal? I've never seen the Rapids drained before so it was quite a geekism to see.

I must say I was very disappointed yesterday, we spent most of our day walking and queuing for rides that were breaking down. It was exceptionally busy on park too and a lot of queue jumpers were around the park. Particularly two black blokes and a girl who we saw queue jump many rides and the Monorail at the end of the day. I could rant about a few other things but I'll save that for another topic.
djtruefitt

The rapids is empty at the start of the day, then it gets filled up before it opens, and once again empty at the end of the day. However I have never seen it get emptied during the day, then filled back up again.
Bote

Skyride and Duel are both encountering severe issues this season. Duel is having many issues with the system starting and stopping of its own accord, which from what I've been told is due to the fact that some parts of the system have been "tampered" with, for want of a better term, which is upsetting the rest of the system (Hence the poor spacing that we keep seeing)

I'm not sure what is up with Skyride, but this is probably the worst I've seen it. It seems to be having loads of downtime recently :?

[quote=""djtruefitt""]The rapids is empty at the start of the day, then it gets filled up before it opens, and once again empty at the end of the day. However I have never seen it get emptied during the day, then filled back up again.[/quote]

It's mainly due to the fact that it takes so long to fill up I believe. When we were there the other weekend they stopped the pumps whilst the system was running (By mistake I reckon). As you can imagine, it's a downwards flow it drains in no time at all, but it takes it a good while to refill.

Rita, Air, and Th13teen are to be expected. I think we must all remember though, it's still rather early in the season, so some minor hiccups are bound to occur. 90% of the time Towers maintenance are brilliant, and most of the time the rides will re-open before the end of the day (With a few exceptions) :)
elba777

On Duel because it kept stopping and then we had to wait for the staff to get to use so we got scores of 200,000+. :D
Ollie16

I was on the park Tuesday, and I only just saw the Duel breakdown, almost on the cars when they evacuated the queueline. I would have loved to have broken down on it :/

Other than that, we must have been so lucky to not encounter any of the others listed above. Hex was awesome about 2.30 and Ritas queue was less than 20 mins at 10.45. Didnt ride skyride but I saw it stopped whilst walking past Towers street at about 1.
What he said.
rct3wild

They sometimes stop the skyride to let disabled people on/off as well.
Hark

Duel & Hex actually breakdown more than you think. There are a load of blocks on Duel and it only takes 1 to trip it out.

Here's 2 videos of these breakdowns:

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]
[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url] [Poor Quality & Hard to see]
siralgenon

Last saturday Duel was stopping and starting all day when I was there. If that thing had to be evacuated I would not shift out of my seat, I could'nt walk past the spiders and zombies, I would have a panic attack lol. 8-[
Jammydodger

It's probably all the heat starting to take its toll in more ways than one. Two rides both inside, with limited ventilation...somethings bound to go wrong. Then there's the obvious, Hot days = Busy days, the poor rides are probably getting absolutely slaughtered right now.

As for the Skyride, heat makes metal expand, the skyride runs on a giant metal rope, not alot they can do with that really...
Anthony

[quote=""siralgenon""]Last saturday Duel was stopping and starting all day when I was there. If that thing had to be evacuated I would not shift out of my seat, I could'nt walk past the spiders and zombies, I would have a panic attack lol. 8-[[/quote]

Haha.

I'd love to be able to walk through it with lights on!
Last edited by Anthony on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon

I do feel for guests whenever they are stuck on the Skyride for any length of time. It really must not be nice feeling you can't go anywhere, that there's nothing much you can do about it.

This was the case last Tuesday, a lot of hiccups around the park and throughout the day, particularly on Air, Spinball and Skyride.
Formerly "Dagoo"
Vicki

I was evac'd off Hex at Scarefest, 2008 I think. Anyway, the doors to the vault kept opening and closing, and we all thought it was a joke with it being Scarefest, til the asked us to leave.

I don't like heights, so evacuating off a coaster would scare me somewhat, especially as I ride minus my glasses.

If I had to evacuate Skyride I'd be a small crying ball in the corner of the gondola :( That is my worst nightmare and I hate when it stops and swings and bounces :(
The Lonely end of the Rink- a great song, and it\'s usually the case when I go ice skating because I just can\'t keep up!
siralgenon

[quote=""Anthony""][quote=""siralgenon""]Last saturday Duel was stopping and starting all day when I was there. If that thing had to be evacuated I would not shift out of my seat, I could'nt walk past the spiders and zombies, I would have a panic attack lol. 8-[[/quote]

Haha.

I'd love to be able to walk through it with lights on![/quote]

Don't get me wrong i'd love to see behind the scenes on a ride, just not one with zombies and tarantula's! :lol: