Oblivion - Now sponsored by Fanta

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Johno

As spotted by Electric Bill in the 2011 map topic, Oblivion is now sponsored by Fanta?

Does this mean that we may get a repaint? Doubtful it would happen before the start of season, but perhaps next season?

Bright orange anyone?

[url=http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/550 ... c116_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5213/550 ... c116_b.jpg[/url]
CoasterCrazyChris

I would imagaine we'll just see the Coca-Cola logos on the top and sides of the Rehydrator replaced with Fanta ones. Although I'm not sure about that because I thought both Coke and Fanta were owned by the same company?

If I were to associate Fanta with any ride at Alton Towers it wouldn't be Oblivion, the two just don't really work with each other. I bet that the roof of that Rehydrator is the prime advertising spot at the park though, everybody that rides Oblivion gets a clear view of it at the holding point - then after the ride everyone heads for a drink as they get their breath back.

We may not see any changes at all though, I mean Chessington's Dragon Falls is now sponsored by 'Juicy Drop Pops' and I very much doubt that any logos will go up there.

:)
Coke

Capri Sun & Fanta are both owned by the Coca Cola company/bottled under licence, but maybe Coca Cola are working to advertise Fanta more this year. I could see Oblivion more with Coke Zero to be honest, but never mind.

At Chessington, the only thing new on Dragon Falls are signs around the ride & queue that say things like 'Get ready to drop with juicy drop pop'. Fanta works good with Oblivion anyway though, one of Oblivion's main colours is orange, much like Fanta's.

Are you thirsty?
.Will

In past years though Oblivion has been painted orange at the bottom as it is entering the hole, it has been around for a while. It is doubtful.

:D
monsterdan5

[quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]I would imagaine we'll just see the Coca-Cola logos on the top and sides of the Rehydrator replaced with Fanta ones. Although I'm not sure about that because I thought both Coke and Fanta were owned by the same company?

If I were to associate Fanta with any ride at Alton Towers it wouldn't be Oblivion, the two just don't really work with each other. I bet that the roof of that Rehydrator is the prime advertising spot at the park though, everybody that rides Oblivion gets a clear view of it at the holding point - then after the ride everyone heads for a drink as they get their breath back.

We may not see any changes at all though, I mean Chessington's Dragon Falls is now sponsored by 'Juicy Drop Pops' and I very much doubt that any logos will go up there.

:)[/quote]

Actually they have changed ALL signs and repainted large segments of the queue for the new branding. Got a nice new logo for it though ;)
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""monsterdan5""][quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]I would imagaine we'll just see the Coca-Cola logos on the top and sides of the Rehydrator replaced with Fanta ones. Although I'm not sure about that because I thought both Coke and Fanta were owned by the same company?

:)[/quote]

Actually they have changed ALL signs and repainted large segments of the queue for the new branding. Got a nice new logo for it though ;)[/quote]

Pictures? :)
Farquaad

[quote=""Johno""]Bright orange anyone?[/quote]

If they paint it bright orange then I will go there with an industrial sized vat of black paint and change it back myself.
thefatone

I heard rumours that Ripsaw was to be sponsored by Fanta this year as part of its repaint which the maintenance team put in for.

However, I wouldn't put it past them to have changed the sponsorship to Oblivion.. all it sounds like is that Fanta are extremely likely to sponsor one of the rides.. ;).

EDIT: Just read the actual leaflet, oops. Maybe they decided to splash out on oblivion, and completely leave Ripsaw to rot for another year?
Last edited by thefatone on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monsterdan5

Nah RipSaw has reopened and is untouched ;)
Voke

It would make sense if Fanta sponsored Ripsaw, as that kind of has the tropical theme.However, Oblivion on the other-hand, is a dark and quite serious ride, now it's sponsored by a bright Orange drink.

What's next, Squirrel Nutty, now sponsored by Red Bull?
James

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, sponsored by Durex?

I'm not too bothered by this, as long as Fanta isn't plastered all over the ride I'm happy. NO orange track though, I propose a orange paint ban at Alton Towers. Any persons, employees, managers caught with any orange paint will be thrown off the park immediately and banned for life. :wink:

Seriously though, yet another sponsor to add to the list. Are we going back in time or something? I swear this is 2011 and not 2004.
thefatone

I think the link is the lovely orange Oblivion logo.

It does sound like we're going back in time - to the early 90s. Everything sponsored by everything. But very minimal. No more flume hopefully!
siralgenon

Im probrbly going to be shot for saying this but i don't think it's that bad having Oblivion sponsored by Fanta, it has an orange logo so if anything Oblivion may see some TLC with Fanta?
AstroDan

I am suprised Coca Cola want to be associated with a fading, rotting rollercoaster to be honest. Awesome and iconic Oblivion may be, but in great shape (visually) it is not.
Islander

[quote=""AstroDan""]I am suprised Coca Cola want to be associated with a fading, rotting rollercoaster to be honest. Awesome and iconic Oblivion may be, but in great shape (visually) it is not.[/quote]
...but surely the point of sponsorship is to bring in money, which can be used to fix things like this.

Although perhaps a tad anxious at to how this will be executed, overall I'm not too bothered. As has been mentioned, Dragon Falls and Dragon's Fury at Chessie were last year sponsored by Juicy Drop Pop, and it's been done subtly. You can see who sponsors the rides, but it's nicely blended into the theming, and not 'IN-YOUR-FACE'.

Now, of course this doesn't mean that AT will manage the same, but they very well might. Think it's best to wait and see...
Big Dave

Not sure if its been mentioned, but Oblivion has always been sponsored by Coca Cola, hence all the rehydrator videos going on about grabbing an ice cool coke and all the cola bottle shapes around the drop zone, some of which are still there!

CoasterCrazyChris

^Yeah, they've always been there and I actually think they enhance the theming of the area. There's nothing wrong with a bit of corporate sponsorship if its suitable to the ride and actually enhances it in a positive way, its a win-win situation. But Fanta... :|
Mi-Nigle

I think as long as it's done tastefully it doesn't matter that it's Fanta. As long as they don't paste Fanta logos all over X-sector I don't mind.

There did used to be a lot of Coke references but they were subtle, like that bottle on the metal door. If they can recreate that sort of subtle advert it shouldn't look too out of place. Orange is Oblivion's secondary colour after all, how did Coke ever fit in with black and orange?
Nightfall

I'm more peeved off with this than I should be.

When done for the right reasons I don't mind sponsorships. Oblivions Rehydrator is a brilliant example of well used branding to enhance a ride (although Coke's branding is everywhere and never felt exclusive to Oblivion). What’s peeving me off is the certainty that Oblivion will reopen this year no differently to the last. It will still look grey and drab. The best we can hope for is a few new signs. Oblivion is crying out for more.
[align=center]Image[/align]