2011 Map

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Altonator

What do you reckon?
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N00/5500705382/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N00/5500705382/[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N00/5500107361/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N00/5500107361/[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N00/5500703952/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/29479646@N00/5500703952/[/url]

I think it's certainly different :)
Not sure why some areas are so close to others ie Nemesis dominating Gloomy Wood
Air dominating Golf area
Not sure why Dark Forest is in corner when it should be in top centre and the bottom right is to clustered together
Like how the Hotels are promoted more though.
this is the leaflet you will get from Tourists Infomation Centres though I'm sure the gate map will be slightly different
Only 3 weeks to go until opening :D

Anyone in the midlands who wants to grab a map get down to Octagon Shopping Centre in Burton they are in the Info stand near TK Maxx shop

ps sorry about poor quality pic I don't have a scanner and it's a camera pic hope you still like it :D
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
A5H

I love how they've made the map more graphic! :)
Although, the gardens being that small... Are They Having A Laugh?! :P
DiogoJ42

What the HELL? :shock:

Are they trying to confuse guests? That bears no relation to Alton Towers. I thought Air was The Flume at first!

:no:
saxineno

Interesting...

I love what they've done with Oblivion, but the rest seems rather cluttered. Now where's that nice tube style map gone? :lol:
Rob L

Well err I'm not too sure what to make of that! As a piece of graphic work it's not that bad, but if it's intended to be used as a map then it's awful! There's no way anyone's going to be able to find their way around using it. I think I preferred last years map, though I will save my final judgement until I have a hard copy of this years.

:)

DiogoJ42

Far to cluttered, and really doesn't represent the layout of the park.

Plus, it's ugly.

I'll shush now. More need not be said.
James

I love the more realistic look, the graphics are very good indeed.

But apart from that, everything is so crammed together, each area seems to overlap eachother and all of it is way out of proportion. Like why the hell is Nemesis going over Duel/Gloomy Wood!? :lol:

Love the way they've emphasized the drop on Oblivion but they really need to get the map more into proportion and looking more 'realistic'. As by the looks of it, that can't guide any guest anywhere in the park.
Stu

As a map it seems pretty annoying to use, but it does look very cluttered, but also the graphics are quite good. Liking the X Sector hazard stripes etc and the better graphics of the coasters. I'm sure it looks really nice in hard copy and would look quite cool to go in a frame on a wall. But as a real map hmmmmmm not sure. I understand the hotels and water park play a big role as the resort now, but that area takes up 1/3rd of the map and i dunno, thnik too much maybe? But overall i think it looks quite arty farty.
Magrathea

I can't hate this map.
It's not a map, it's just too inaccurate, but it's such a gorgeous promotional image. :?
However, this appears to be the mini brochure version of the map, without all the text on it, and it's already looking cluttered; can't wait to see what happens when every single facility is labeled.
CoasterCrazyChris

I think its great artistically. :) I love how its less cartoony and X-Sector looks great compared to before.

However, as you say its still cluttered and completely distorted - god help anyone trying to navigate with the thing. :lol:

NickT04

Mental. That is all!
Jordan

I'm a big fan of the design, but the map itself looks far too disproportionate and difficult to use.

It looks like they've removed the food outlets from the map though... :?
Rob L

It's just not a map, that's the big problem. It is a very good image and when you look at it as a picture it's nice, but for a map it's far too cluttered and almost everything is in the wrong place. I also don't like how Oblivion goes totally the wrong way, in fact looking at it there must be a turnaround somewhere underground. I can't quite work out how they've manage to make it so much more crammed than last years map.

Blaze

I like the more realistic look.

After that, it all goes downhill faster than Chris Moyles in a bobsled. It's farr too cluttered, areas are so out of proportion and mishapen. Air really does look like a Flume, and is really out of place, the gardens are invisible. Oblivion is backwards and so is the orientation of Dark Forest. Both ares have been pulled down and across, so now Dark Forest is where X-Sector and CCL (which for some reason is below DF)should be, while X-Sector makes the areas below it invisible. Why RMT goes behind Duel I don't know. The hotel and resort section is far too huge, and is probably the reason for the rest of it. I know they want to push it, but there's nothing there to push at the moment. When (or if) all the wonderful stuff they plan over the next 8 years or so is built, then it can be that size, but now with two hotels, golf and waterpark, there's too much for that space, and it's pushed everything else out of the way, so it looks like they had too much of a job fitting everything else in, and made a hash of the attempt. Having the main path slanted will probably be confusing for new guests and the lack of a proper key makes life difficult as well.

A for effort, F for result.
Last edited by Blaze on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowe

Pretty design and colours, but the layout is terrible and unattractive, not to mention confusing :|
James

Looking and comparing to previous maps it is the resort side of things taking up the space. If these were removed then the areas and rides could be in the right places and bear a slight relation to how the actual park looks. Along with writing all over the map too it looks like one hell of a mess.

This is why they need to tone down on the resort side of things really. The hotels, waterpark, spa and golf are already advertised heavily across the theme park. As mentioned by a few members on here in the past the resort side of things could be put onto the back of the park map, this would then give more room for the theme park map yet with the resort side of things in the same park leaflet.
Blaze

Hopefully when the resort side is expanded into something more than two hotels, a waterpark and golf, they can take it off the park map and give it it's own proper map, so the park can fill up the map, makin git more realistic and more understandable.
Last edited by Blaze on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moley

Once again I'm in the minority, absolutely love it.
.Will

I like it. It looks a little more real than previous maps, yeah I think it is a vast improvement.

oldgitBEN

WTF?!

This map makes no sense.

The Runaway Mine Train track is next to the nemesis track.
Duel is in the centre of FV
Air goes over the golf
The dark forrest entry arch leads you to the gardens
Rita runs over the top of CCL
Charlie is now attached to the Theatre
Oblivion goes over the CCL buildings.

*bangs head*