2011 Map

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
evil cod

[quote=""siralgenon""]
Anyone complaining about rides the wrong way round or not looking quite like they do in real life is entirely missing the point, its not a blueprint, its a basic guide to the layout of the park.
There's a difference between a ride being the wrong way round and a ride being in the wrong location![/quote]

I see no situation where rides are not positioned correctly in relation to each other. They might be positioned incorrectly geographically but since noone is navigating the park from the air I dont see this as a problem. If you wish for a photo accurate map please feel free to access maps.google.com.

[quote=""Blizzard""]
Yeah, but then woodland walk looks like it takes longet to get to the hotels than going through the car parks [/quote]

The paths round the carparks arnt shown on the map so no idea how you work that out.
siralgenon

There's a difference between a ride being the wrong way round and a ride being in the wrong location

I see no situation where rides are not positioned correctly in relation to each other. They might be positioned incorrectly geographically but since noone is navigating the park from the air I dont see this as a problem. If you wish for a photo accurate map please feel free to access maps.google.com.
Just think if someone's never been before and they're talking "We have to pass nemesis to get to blade" we all know that s the other way around, and on the map the entrance to Dark Forest is on the right hand side of Woodcutter's and it's actually on the left!

Anyway this is a mock 2o11 map i've just done, why didn't they just do something like this?
James

[quote=""siralgenon""]Anyway this is a mock 2o11 map i've just done, why didn't they just do something like this?[/quote]
Because that's the 2010 map with the 2011 font on top of it?

The new map has been created to represent the rest of the new branding.
[Archive]

why didn't they just do something like this?
...Because that is just the 2010 map with labels added and does not have any of the new branding?

Really, we get the point that it is inaccurate... How about we all stop moaning now? :D
evil cod

On the 2010 map (you posted), Blade is still in the 'wrong place' just past Nemesis's entrance, Nemesis and Duel are still touching, Air and Th13teen are also wait for it... still next to each other, soo how does this solve any of your issues at all?
siralgenon

I know it's the 2o1o map I was just showing that 2o11 could have been incorporated into it like at half term but better, as for the rides touching yes they were close, but they wern't on top of each other!
Nora

Tbh, the map is great artistically and i'm really loving the detail. But theres just too much white space in my opinion...And not to mention being confusing.
A good portion is also taken up by the Hotels now, aren't they suppose to be park maps not resort maps?
Argh. >.<

...It won't be going on my wall at the end of the year :P

Welcome to the Alton Towers Resort - Where the magic never ends! has ended.
evil cod

It COULD of been just altered ever so slightly from the 2010 map but why would it? It wouldn't solve any of your issues with the map as most of these issues with the exception of Dark Forests entrance (which is incidentally in real life positioned well past woodcutters) and Oblivions direction (which makes absolutely no difference to anything in life at all) were present on the 2010 map and probably a couple before too.
Last edited by evil cod on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

[quote=""siralgenon""]I know it's the 2o1o map I was just showing that 2o11 could have been incorporated into it like at half term but better, as for the rides touching yes they were close, but they wern't on top of each other![/quote]

Yes, but like I wrote in a topic that was removed this morning. We don't know what the marketing team are trying to achieve with the 2011 map. I'm assuming they are trying to achieve a more in your face look, something that can immediately stand out. It's clear they've created it as a representation of the park rides and just to give a generalized idea of where each area/ride is located (yes they are on top of each other, but that's the point, to make it look like there is something everywhere). If this was created to be used as a actual park map (exact representation of the park) then they would go back in time and adopt the Habbo style map.

Anyway the full version is due to be released in the Sun newspaper this Wednesday so we'll see what the full sized version map will look like soon. :)
evil cod

[quote=""Nora""]Tbh, the map is great artistically and i'm really loving the detail. But theres just too much white space in my opinion...And not to mention being confusing.
A good portion is also taken up by the Hotels now, aren't they suppose to be park maps not resort maps?
Argh. >.<

...It won't be going on my wall at the end of the year :P[/quote]

Actually they have been called Resort maps since 2009.
siralgenon

[quote=""Nora""]Tbh, the map is great artistically and i'm really loving the detail. But theres just too much white space in my opinion...And not to mention being confusing.
Argh. >.<

...It won't be going on my wall at the end of the year :P[/quote]

They are actually called Resort Maps not Park Maps

and I agree it's not going on my wall either. (Its alright 2o1o your still safe [-o< )
Voke

I think this thread has prompted a trip to Burton for me, I don't really want to get a paper-thin 2011 Resort Map from The Sun for my collection in anticipation for March :roll:
Moley

Out of protest I'm not going on any of the rides that are misplaced, exaggerated or altered in any way from reality.
Slappy McGuire

*Gah* what a horrible new map. Alton do Thorpe.

Maps should intrigue and inform; this one is cluttered and chavvy. Not a fan.
Magrathea

[quote=""Slappy McGuire""]
Maps should intrigue and inform; this one is cluttered and chavvy. Not a fan.[/quote]

I fail to see how the map is in any way chavvy; I'd say it's one of the most attractive Alton've ever produced. Besides, at least Air's not an inverted coaster any more! :)
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""Slappy McGuire""]*Gah* what a horrible new map. Alton do Thorpe.

Maps should intrigue and inform; this one is cluttered and chavvy. Not a fan.[/quote]

Yeh because this map is full of mooning chavs and people having sex in bushes
Mr P

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]
Yeh because this map is full of mooning chavs and people having sex in bushes[/quote]

Really?

*Goes away to check*

Wait a minute, there's only one of each, that's hardly full...

:P
Wes

It's a map...

Do you really want to see a return of the 2005 disaster? At least the place looks exciting on their latest update.
Big Dave

Yes exactly, its a map, which is basically a representation of a area which is as accurately as possible drawn onto paper (or digital media nowadays), so that its user can find the location of things in relation to his or her location or to plan a route for a future event.

The map Alton Towers are using fails to do this properly. It gives people an idea where things are, but when you are walking along a path at the park, you are going to struggle to find out which way you need to go. I have learnt from experience that most people who visit the park are practically brain dead, so Alton need to make the map as easy to read as possible, not flood it with a load of useless advertising for the rides.

Dont get me wrong, like I said before I love the graphics, I just think its far too in your face and too hard to work out where things are.
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""Mr P""][quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]
Yeh because this map is full of mooning chavs and people having sex in bushes[/quote]

Really?

*Goes away to check*

Wait a minute, there's only one of each, that's hardly full...

:P[/quote]

My apologies i forgot TTF required a lack of artistic license when making a point and never to enhance a idea with humour