Alton Towers Live - Music Concert 19th June 2011

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Blaze

But as every festival and stadium gig shows, chart success does not translate into mass live appeal. If they booked the headliners from, say Reading, they'd have sold out almost instantly, much like Reading did itself.
AstroDan

But Alton want family acts for a family appeal, not a rock band? Yes, I would have gone if Bon Jovi had played, but this is a family festival with family friendly tunes.

What is attendance at JLS' arena tours like?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
thefatone

I think Black Eyed Peas are a past it tbh. I can see why they're struggling to fill a venue which can hold up to 28 thousand visitors.

Plus their ticket price is ridiculous. Over a tenner more for them, without free parking. Towers Live is just far more worth it.

Then again, they are giving away 2 day theme park entry AND 2 tickets for the price of one now. Desperate times..
Adam

But you have to bare in mind that a gig like Reading has a following no matter who the acts are. And people would still go because it's reading, it's not all about the acts with a gig like that.

Obviously I agree, a different line-up might have sold better. But thats irrelevant, they booked who they booked. Just didn't attract the wide audience they wanted.

But like I said, I do feel a good TV campaign would have done ticket sales wonders.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
onair

Regarding promotion there have been so many adverts for the BEP in the papers for weeks now and its still not selling. Pink was great at Alton but the parking shambles after would make me reconsider going to another concert there. Perhaps alot of people that may have gone have not forgotten this parking fiasco and of course the rip off price has not helped.
Themeparksandy1981

The biggest problem you got is this concert on a Sunday and on the face book page it says that it aint gonna finish too 10pm then you got to get back to the car so you wont be getting home before midnight. Kids have got school the next day. The black eyes peas 1 is stupid as well having it on in the middle of the week.
Dean

Annual Pass holders can now enter the park before the concert starts...
Tom G

What's putting people off is that they are (or previously were) being forced to pay for theme park admission as well. Combined with the parking fee people have said sod it.
Crofty

and the Booking fee...Oh and the Credit card fee. :roll:
djtruefitt

You do get free parking with the Alton live tickets. However you have to pay for parking for the Black eyed paes one.
Eagie

[quote=""Dean""]Annual Pass holders can now enter the park before the concert starts...[/quote]

Where did you find this info? Alton Towers have just told me that you can only enter if you have a concert ticket

**** Ignore the above, even though the call centre told me the above, Alton Towers on their facebook page has said that I can go in to the park with my annual pass that day ****
Dcarts2412

as said the bands are terrible but the income it will be brining for the park is gooing to be huge lol!
ryanlovesaltontowers

Hi, not sure if this has been posted before but will the rides close for a period of time while the acts are performing like in November with the fireworks.
Tom G

Rides are closing at 6, with some closing at 4. They will not be open during or after the concert, according to Alton's Facebook page.
Dormiens-Dave

[quote=""Dcarts2412""]as said the bands are terrible but the income it will be brining for the park is gooing to be huge lol![/quote]

Not if they don't sell out there not... which seems to be the case
haydn!

How do we know the BEP concert isn't selling? Haven't Alton Towers just released 'additional tickets' ?
Dormiens-Dave

They have released additional "cheaper" tickets

You dont do that unless tickets are not selling very well
James6

I think Alton/Merlin have found out from this that actually, there is a limit to what people will pay, and they've passed that limit by forcing the combined cost of concert and entry and still trying to make it seem like a 'good' deal.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
haydn!

Hmmm. I'm not convinced.

Though, as amazing as P!NK was, and I'd see her live tomorrow if she was on tour again but I wouldn't go to another concert at Alton Towers. Getting off the resort was a complete shambles, total lack of organisation and everyone I've ever met/heard talking about it has complained about the same thing. So it wouldn't surprise me if that in itself has put people off.
djtruefitt

I was at the park today and it looks pretty much all set for the concert.

I dont know what the roads and things were like last year for pink, but on all the roads leading up to Alton towers there are signs telling you its a breakdown pick up point (im guessing if you break down they will move your car for you?). It looks like the drop off point will be the staff and service enterance and there will also be traffic lights at that enterance and at the main park enterance (to keep the traffic moving I guess). There are also lots of temp lights around the enterance and around the park.

On the grass the stage is pretty much set up along with a few tents near by and loads of burger vans. There are also signs all around the park (currently covered up with bin bags), im guessing these must be directional signs or exit signs.

They are nothing exciting and I took them on my phone but here are a couple of photos I took today:

Last edited by djtruefitt on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.