2011: Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
James

Next weekend? Or the weekend after that? Or in a few weeks time?

:P
PeteB

[quote=""Joelio""]If we're talking throughput Pirates of the Carribean in DLP has a throughput of 3,600pph. If Alton can deliver that sort of throughput i'd be impressed. Space Mountain has a throughput of 2,400pph as it runs 5 trains, split station a train leaves every 36 seconds. Disney design with popularity in mind, saying that Crush and TSMM is abysmal.[/quote]

Back in the 90's it seemed like Alton were building the highest capacity rides in the UK, something which seemed to fizzle out in the naughties. Wonder why?

Exception being Th13teen of course, which at 1500pph isn't bad.

Whats the highest capacity ride on park? I'm guessing it's the Haunted House?
Joelio

[quote=""PeteB""][quote=""Joelio""]If we're talking throughput Pirates of the Carribean in DLP has a throughput of 3,600pph. If Alton can deliver that sort of throughput i'd be impressed. Space Mountain has a throughput of 2,400pph as it runs 5 trains, split station a train leaves every 36 seconds. Disney design with popularity in mind, saying that Crush and TSMM is abysmal.[/quote]

Back in the 90's it seemed like Alton were building the highest capacity rides in the UK, something which seemed to fizzle out in the naughties. Wonder why?

Whats the highest capacity ride on park? I'm guessing it's the Haunted House?[/quote]

Altons highest is Oblivion isn't it? at 1,800. Though Duel would be pretty close, 4 people per car, cars leave every 10/20 or so seconds.

Air has potential though, if it ever worked for longer than 30mins without having to send empty trains around :/

As for DLP Phantom Manors throughput is awkward to calculate as loading is staggered, its about 100-120 people in the foyer another 100-120 per stretching gallery (2) which takes just over a minute to lower, then since omnimovers never stop (unless a disabled passenger is boarding) it just minces through people at a rate of knots since they canhold 2/3 people with ease. To say i've never waited more than 30 minutes, in a full queue is a testimony to its efficiency.
PeteB

[quote=""Joelio""][quote=""PeteB""][quote=""Joelio""]If we're talking throughput Pirates of the Carribean in DLP has a throughput of 3,600pph. If Alton can deliver that sort of throughput i'd be impressed. Space Mountain has a throughput of 2,400pph as it runs 5 trains, split station a train leaves every 36 seconds. Disney design with popularity in mind, saying that Crush and TSMM is abysmal.[/quote]

Whats the highest capacity ride on park? I'm guessing it's the Haunted House?[/quote]

Altons highest is Oblivion isn't it? at 1,800. Though Duel would be pretty close, 4 people per car, cars leave every 10/20 or so seconds.
[/quote]

Original Haunted House had 6 riders per car with the cars being spaced 10 seconds apart. Obviously not all 6 seats would have been filled but I guess it still had the potential to run at 2160 people per hour. Probably more like 1900 to 2000pph though.

And actually, if Duel is capable of running at 1600 to 1800pph thats probably the reason why it never has a queue, or at least a very small one!
Voke

[quote=""siralgenon""]Sorry just going back on subject-(no sarcasm intended) has anyone got a clue when this new attraction is meant to be let out, As it didn't get very far over the weekend?[/quote]

It'll be released this month. That's all we know at the moment :)
.Will

[quote=""Voke""][quote=""siralgenon""]Sorry just going back on subject-(no sarcasm intended) has anyone got a clue when this new attraction is meant to be let out, As it didn't get very far over the weekend?[/quote]

It'll be released this month. That's all we know at the moment :)[/quote]

Well hopefully it will, providing that they put some information on the pamphlet they release about this time of year, the only thing that is a forgone (I think? :? ) Is the new 'attraction' for the old Nick Outta Control building basically a big area based on Despicable Me. Great addition and how many places are screaming for paint and a good clean again?

:roll:
longy0151

How about a drop on the rapids. It doesn't cost too much. It'll be fun for families like they said and maybe they will add extra splashes in it to give all the family a laugh. :D
Bote

Aside from adding the odd extra rapid and sprays to CRR there's not much editing they could do. The ride is an established part of the Katanga Canyon area, and the design means that making drastic changes are difficult without ripping out pieces of the area (Which would be rediculous as it's one of the best themed areas on site)

If you mean they were to add extra rapids to the course then yes that would be possible, simply by adding some more pieces to the channel floor, or re-aligning some of the concrete. Though really, does the ride need any changes at present? It still pulls the crowds and entertains them. I don't think Merlin could justify the cost of making changes, most people would not notice.
siralgenon

Yer I think its just right as it is, you don't stay dry but you don't get drenched and it picks up some speed other than a few themed props and sprays there's not much you can do.
Voke

They could attach the water-jets from Battle Galleons onto The Conga River Rapids, down the paths if they really wanted too. Would draw in the some more people, and great for the summer season.
John

I wouldn't want water guns on the rapids, though I'd quite like to see the return of the fountains of doom during summer. Obviously they'd have to have them connected to mains water to get round H&S so it's highly unlikely, but they added an extra element of danger to the ride!
siralgenon

Whats the fountains of doom? lol do you mean the waterfalls because if you are they are on all year round!
John

They used to have a couple of fountains around the ride that squirted a large jet of water for a few seconds. They were nothing like the sprinklers on Rumba Rapids at Thorpe - If you were unlucky enough to pass through one you'd get very wet.

One was located at the end of the ride before the lift and I think there was one just after the bridge into Katanga Canyon, but they were all removed/deactivated years ago.
siralgenon

oh right never knew that! thanks:)
Voke

Neither did I, any reason why they were removed?
.Will

[quote=""John""]They used to have a couple of fountains around the ride that squirted a large jet of water for a few seconds. They were nothing like the sprinklers on Rumba Rapids at Thorpe - If you were unlucky enough to pass through one you'd get very wet.

One was located at the end of the ride before the lift and I think there was one just after the bridge into Katanga Canyon, but they were all removed/deactivated years ago.[/quote]

It wasn't even a fountain, it was a little hose, I think the end of a green garden hose that shot a spurt of water up every other boat, a pathetic attempt at a fountain really, but if it caught you just right ...

:twisted:
Ritadz

[quote=""longy0151""]How about a drop on the rapids. It doesn't cost too much. It'll be fun for families like they said and maybe they will add extra splashes in it to give all the family a laugh. :D[/quote]

Sorry, but how can you add a drop to a ride built in a concrete trench and with no room for expansion?
Adam

With great difficulty...

It wouldn't be impossible just impracticable!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
PeteB

[quote=""?V?""][quote="".Will""][quote=""John""]They used to have a couple of fountains around the ride that squirted a large jet of water for a few seconds. They were nothing like the sprinklers on Rumba Rapids at Thorpe - If you were unlucky enough to pass through one you'd get very wet.

One was located at the end of the ride before the lift and I think there was one just after the bridge into Katanga Canyon, but they were all removed/deactivated years ago.[/quote]

It wasn't even a fountain, it was a little hose, I think the end of a green garden hose that shot a spurt of water up every other boat, a pathetic attempt at a fountain really, but if it caught you just right ...

:twisted:[/quote]

The water in the ride caused illness.

That is why these were turned off[/quote]

That was never proved!

What the rapids needs is to be converted to a clean water system like all the newer rapids rides around the world are using. Heck even Legoland's rapids is clean.

Then you can add back the much missed water fountains and also pay-to-shoot jets which have been seen at some themeparks - good source of revenue there towers, we know you love to take our money! :D

If they could manage that, the clean water system, then there would be alot of improvements that could be made at minimal cost.

Hopefully somebody useful at towers will read this and spark the interest to refurbish the ride.
Chris W

Alton Towers still struggling for this years attraction? :wink:
To help employees start the year with a smile and keep the winter blues at bay, Event has teamed up with Alton Towers Resort to give away a meeting for ten in the venue's conference centre.

The Alton Towers Resort Conference Centre frequently hosts large residential conferences and awards dinners, team building activities and departmental away-days, and this exclusive competition will allow one company the chance to discover everything the venue has to offer.

Happily, for those that want an excuse to balance work and play, guests will be able to swap their suit for a sweatshirt and enjoy some post-meeting entertainment with free entry to the UK’s favourite theme park as well as access into the Caribbean-themed waterpark, located in the Splash Landings Hotel, for those who fancy a "taste of the tropics".

The Alton Towers Resort package includes hire of the newly refurbished main meeting room, a range of refreshments throughout the day, on top of a two-course delicious buffet lunch and a range of additional extras.

To win, simply post a comment below with your ideas for a new ride at Alton Towers Resort.
Link

----

We usually know what is going on by now, I think the fact that we don't have anything confirmed yet isn't a good sign.
There is a chance the brochure is already available in hotel rooms though, its happened like that in the past.

I hope we at least have a number of good events to keep things a bit interesting.