2011: Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dylan

[quote=""Altonator""]I don't think it gives a good impression to general public when they reliase theres no new attraction.[/quote]

To be honest, I'm not sure the 'general public' are really too bothered, and have no expectations of new attractions year upon year. I certainly had no idea that it was always the case to have a new attractions every year, until noticing this detailed on this forum.
Alton Towers sells itself on the current attractions and reputation, and for a 'one visit a year (adult) person', they would possibly skip a new family attraction depending on queue times for the larger coasters and popular rides anyway.
It's disappointing for everyone that there will be nothing new this year, but hopefully they are already focusing plans and budgets for 2012. I can't say I'm really that bothered.
I do agree that having Beastie SBNO, is a tad annoying though. The empty Black Hole tent has always bugged me. When I have visited with new people, they have always asked 'what's in there' etc.
But once again, as has been mentioned, it's easier to probably get planning permission to replace an existing structure than to build on a clear plot of land.
DiogoJ42

Whaaaa? :shock: Beastie SBNO? Did I miss something? I thought it was still going to be open this year?
thefatone

To be fair - when was it announced that the 4d had fallen through? Pretty recently - One of the most recent magazines of Park World (or whatever its called, i get it.. just dont pay attention to name) mentioned building a 4d cinema at towers.

If so, maybe its too late to add something for the season.. you'd need planning, marketing to ensure the ride is right and is marketable, a suitable place, then you'd need planning permission for some things.. then to actually build it.

People mention competitors - what parks in the UK touch up their theme park over winter? None, really.

Might be competition in your eyes, but overwhelming majority of people visiting are British. It's not like people have chosen towers over universal, say. They choose towers over visiting blackpool, or pleasureland and stuff like that.. So, the competition and the urge just isn't there. Plus, visitor numbers in the uk aren't so precious as to ensure that its constantly kept brilliant.

Now, if towers was world class and actively considered up amongst those huge players.. then we'd see interesting things and have a reason to complain ;)
Maelstrom

Most theme parks around the world go through seasons where they dont add anything new, there are very few that have added something every year, in fact their are many major parks that go a couple of seasons without new rides.

Whether you like thirteen or not they did just spend £15m last season. Places like the Busch gardens in florida have had loads of seasons with no new rides/attractions, most six flags & Cedar fair parks have had seaons with no rides in the last few years, Chessington go many seasons with nothing new, Drayton Manor added nothing in 1997 and 2001 and only changed cinema film in 2010. Even most of Europes big parks go seasons with nothing new.
seanyboyuk

It sucks that AT arent giving a new offering for 2011 but hey sh1t happens! I think/hoping for 2012 we will get a black hole replacement and a 4d cinema. It gives them time to organise a deal with somebody else for a new theme etc so just be patient! I do hope the park use the time to give rides overhauls such as repaints etc.
kingda dude

Mabey AT might have pulled of the perfect SW without anyone noticing! :sus:
But my guess is not, after the 'dreamworks collapse' I gahered that we will be getting little this year, hopefully, firstly this year AT will have focused on sprucing up the park, and next year thay will add more than normal due to the minimal spend this year.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
Wes

If this is the case, I hope that the events and entertainments of 2011 are thrown into the spotlight, they're things that the resort can work on during the season.

Personally I would like to see a 3rd show brought into the park (Katanga/The Farm) with a summer event to join Scarefest & Fireworks?
Voke

Yeah, more focus on 2011 event's would be brilliant. Use some of the cash to make a few more one-off events next year, another concert maybe? And another Maze for the park during Scarefest please!
Chris-TT

In all honesty I would prefer Alton not to put anything in this late. I would have however liked to of seen the budget reinvested into revamping and adding to the existing theming across the park.

In my eyes there are two kinds of parks out there, ones that rush out a ride every year and the theming is half baked, and ones that produce world class “attractions” every 2-4 years where the theming is as much of an experience as the ride.

Don’t get me wrong, Alton has produced a few world class attractions, but it’s not consistent, the last one to be built that I consider world class is Hex.

I would much prefer Alton to build an attraction every few years and do it to a Eurpoa/Disney/Universal standard.
Maelstrom

The problem is the park cannot just re-invest the money they had set aside for the 4d cinema/shrek on painting rides/adding extra theming. Merlin would have approved the budget for the addition of the 4D cinema, that fell through so Merlin would no longer be proving that money. If the park had other ideas for an attraction for 2011 or even if they wanted to spend the money on additional theming they would have to present their proposal to merlin, however merlin like most other companies wont just give them the money unless they can see a clear return on that investment.

If the park wanted to say paint Oblivion they would have include that in the parks proposed maintenance budget when the park are agreeing their yearly budgets with Merlin, again as with most companies Alton are unlikely to ever get the amount they ask for so things they want to do get dropped and its non essential jobs like extra theming and re-paints that often get chopped.

Extra park entertainment would be a good idea for 2011 and maybe a new show somewhere on the park and a summer event like had been mentioned above as like a new ride could be used to attract people to the park or get guests to stay longer (resulting in higher food/drink and merchandise sales) in the evenings during summer
joshc807

The problem is, I don't think we will see much refurbishment or repairs, just the usual. For example Nemesis's station needs repainting, will it be? I can see the improvements just being like every other year, a bit of cleaning up here and there, but nothing big.
Voke

Doubt the whole station would be re-painted, it seems more realistic if they paint the restraints, like they did with Oblivion last season :)

But I would like alot of refurbishment to make up for no new attraction in 2011 :|
[Archive]

Don't expect anything, and then you will not be disappointed.
siralgenon

I have to say Alton are really kicking themselves in the face this year:
1st-No new ride
2nd-Make 2 annual passes to remove some perks from the standard
3rd-Beastie SBNO
4th-Then have the nerve to add parking fee's to the annual pass.

Not good AT! [-X
Dormiens-Dave

just to respond slightly in towers favour

1) No New Ride - Not entirely their fault, its rumoured a number of plans have fallen through for various reasons

2) They had to move to the Merlin format, i;m not sure if a pricing structure has been released yet but im sure it will be very appealing

3) Not safe to run and they keep it SBNO for future planning applications

4) Parking fee's have been added to the standard annual pass, the premium one keeps the parking free

So what exactly is the problem here, its a shame there no new ride, i think AT are probably as frustrated as we are and they plan well in advance and have back-ups its just that sometimes sh*t happens.

This isnt the apocolypse and please remember we dont always know why certain things happen, one slightly duff season does not a disaster make. And as the T&C's of the annual pass suggest maybe they will focus more on great events this year.

Lets keep the closed season hysteria to a minimum :D
James

[quote=""siralgenon""]I have to say Alton are really kicking themselves in the face this year:
1st-No new ride
2nd-Make 2 annual passes to remove some perks from the standard
3rd-Beastie SBNO
4th-Then have the nerve to add parking fee's to the annual pass.

Not good AT! [-X[/quote]

1. We are the only ones that will notice no new attractions, the general public won't notice/care. They just visit Alton for particular rides that are already on offer.
2. We don't know why Beastie is SBNO, could be for any reason, my guess is that it didn't pass one of the annual checks.
3. The new annual pass changes are Merlin related, since Alton is a part of Merlin they need to make there passes similar to how the Merlin passes are now.

I personally don't see any problems with this year. People are just expecting to much from Alton. No attraction is better than a last minute quick fix.

I agree with Chris on that Alton should go for building new attractions every few years. Most attractions have come out with last minute theming and lack of attention to detail. Th13teen just scraped it's March opening, with most of the area rushed to be open in time. Since Hex there has been nothing that I could honestly go on and come out going "WOW". Don;t get me wrong, some rides since then have been decent, but not something I note as "world class"
AstroDan

Although part of me agrees with Dave's point, I still think it, to quote: "bl**dy well stinks"

:P
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""James""]1. We are the only ones that will notice no new attractions, the general public won't notice/care. They just visit Alton for particular rides that are already on offer.[/quote]

Well actually that is not strictly true. Many people come to the park keen to know what is new and more importantly many people decide if they will come or not based on whether there is a new ride or not. For example the rest of my family would probably only want to go back to Alton Towers when they add a new ride - people do expect something more than they got on their previous trip.

:)
James

[quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""][quote=""James""]1. We are the only ones that will notice no new attractions, the general public won't notice/care. They just visit Alton for particular rides that are already on offer.[/quote]

Well actually that is not strictly true. Many people come to the park keen to know what is new and more importantly many people decide if they will come or not based on whether there is a new ride or not. For example the rest of my family would probably only want to go back to Alton Towers when they add a new ride - people do expect something more than they got on their previous trip.

:)[/quote]

Hmm, it's most likely 50/50. Teenagers particularly go there just for the thrill rides, so they know about Nemesis, Air, Oblivion and only go specifically to have a day of thrills. I have family as well that visit regardless of new attractions or not as there is already enough on offer for them.

I suppose it depends what each person/group of people looks at. If you only go for something new then it's unlikely you'd visit this year. If you go for specific rides already on offer then you are more likely to go. Like me and my family are likely to go this year as we just genuinely love what is already there.

:)
Dormiens-Dave

the above is true but a path and a playground got them in during the 2007 season, also generally speaking the year after a coaster always does well.

I swear i remember reading that the season after Air opened was more successfull than its opening year