2011: Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
siralgenon

oh right thanks! :D
Voke

It's a Sunday. Hopefully we'll get some type of update today?
siralgenon

I keep looking but nothing new yet :(
Adam

I'm certain something is supposed to be released this weekend. Strange it hasn't surfaced yet, I was under the impression it was supposed to come out yesterday...

Wonder if there had been another change of plans...
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Coke

Do the IT/Website staff work on Sundays at the minute?

Are you thirsty?
siralgenon

I wonder if they will bring it out when the Waterpark re-opens on Tuesday?
Adam

Doubtful, that wasn't even planned until a few days ago.

Apparently the turn-styles wont even be in by Tuesday because they have been rushing. But I digress...

It'll come out soon. Probably nothing too exciting anyway, remember we are only looking at a Low Budget year ahead of us. So probably something very kiddie/family on the way.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
siralgenon

Im doing an ATR monopoly for school so im just trying to see a bit more marketing for this year so I can put it on, I actually started it before their 2010 one came out.
Voke

I know that it's not going to be incredibly exciting year for the park, but I still wan't to know what Alton have up their sleeve!
El Patricko

not sure i want to see whats up merlins sleeve [-X , Im gonna guess at some tins of paint and hope that they bring in peak/off peak tarrifs for fasttrack (remember the golden age of free fasttrack, man that was great :clap: )
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
Voke

Would love the Free Fasttrack's to return, but all Merlin wan't to do is line their pockets. If massive worldwide renown parks like Disneyworld and Disneyland can operate a free Fasttrack system, then why can't Alton Tower's?
[Archive]

Because Disney are far, far richer than Merlin. Not that that should make much difference to Fastracks, really, but Merlin seem to like a thick income of money from their guests.
AstroDan

To be fair, on the majority of rides - the free service was not viable.

Rides at a typical Disney park have throughputs well over 1,500 per hour and often over 2,000 per hour. Where rides have lower capacities, the service is often not offered, or, so few fastpass tickets are available - that very few people benefit anyway (see: Toy Story Mania, DHS as an example).

At Alton Towers, with exception to Oblivion and Water Rides no ride (that gets queues) can achieve a throughput over 1,500. Therefore, say on Rita, the system would be quite frankly pointless.

It's a pity but it wouldn't work properly and effectively.
Voke

Okay, didn't really think about the throughput issues, just that Merlin always seem to want our cash! :evil:
thefatone

Plus should anything happen (like a slight delaaayyy), disney are more than likely gonna be able to clear the backlog easier.
Voke

I'm sure Disney have breakdown's as-well, but I bet they have a bigger team of staff working on each ride, therefore getting the queue moving again.
El Patricko

The only reason disney can keep it's parks running at any manor of profit is because of the success of the films they have made, i dont feel that is a true representation of a "theme park" it's more of a franchise. In laymens terms, most who visit do so so they can visit "mickey mouse", not to ride amazing rides.

Although im miffed as to why Alton Towers cant just add a standard flat ride in somewhere last minute, it could end up as popular as submission has become...
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"
PeteB

[quote=""El Patricko""]The only reason disney can keep it's parks running at any manor of profit is because of the success of the films they have made, i dont feel that is a true representation of a "theme park" it's more of a franchise. In laymens terms, most who visit do so so they can visit "mickey mouse", not to ride amazing rides.

Although im miffed as to why Alton Towers cant just add a standard flat ride in somewhere last minute, it could end up as popular as submission has become...[/quote]

Magic Kingdom alone makes $4m profit PER DAY on its peak days! Ok people are drawn to the park because of Disneys films and characters and so on, but even so that an impressive amount of business when you consider the amount of stuff they give away for free, like Fast Track!
Joelio

If we're talking throughput Pirates of the Carribean in DLP has a throughput of 3,600pph. If Alton can deliver that sort of throughput i'd be impressed. Space Mountain has a throughput of 2,400pph as it runs 5 trains, split station a train leaves every 36 seconds. Disney design with popularity in mind, saying that Crush and TSMM is abysmal.
siralgenon

Sorry just going back on subject-(no sarcasm intended) has anyone got a clue when this new attraction is meant to be let out, As it didn't get very far over the weekend?