Ultimate Fireworks 2011

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
PeteB

[quote=""onair""]Looked colourful, thing is I think I have got to the point of once you have seen a firework display you have seem em all.[/quote]

Thing is the old Alton Towers displays were very unique and entertaining with the story and all the special effects. Now sadly, it IS just like every other fireworks display. Just fireworks and music for 20 odd minutes :(

Still more impressive than most of your local council and private shows though.
Dormiens-Dave

I have had some good reviews for tonights show so looking forward to the next few nights. One thing i cant complain about at Towers are the Fireworks. They are world class.
AstroDan

Good show. I would say based on tonight, last year *just* edges it. However, there were far more physical fireworks though.

Really good, either way. Lots of crowd management and traffic control going on too.

:)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Fantasmic

I went there today... HOLY COW what a display, it was amazing... my OH and I were just blown away by how good it was!

We were comparing it to Wishes/Hallowishes/Illuminations at Disney, by sheer NUMBER of fireworks it beat them hands down, BUT Disney has the magic and music to win it for me! Still AT. AMAZING.
Tom G

I wonder how much they spend on the displays over the three days? £3m?
onair

Those strips of lights on the Towers look cool. I saw these the other day and just thought they were power cables not lights. From the pictures on altons facebook it does look good.Image
davewazere

[quote=""Tom G""]I wonder how much they spend on the displays over the three days? £3m?[/quote]
It cost them £2m for the 3 days.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/875-big-dave/"]Image[/url]
Fantasmic

[quote=""davewazere""][quote=""Tom G""]I wonder how much they spend on the displays over the three days? £3m?[/quote]

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk[/quote]

Money well spent! :clap:
Tom G

Thanks, are all the displays, arrangements and everything identical over the three days?
PeteB

[quote=""davewazere""][quote=""Tom G""]I wonder how much they spend on the displays over the three days? £3m?[/quote]

Thats rubbish. The old shows with all the special fx had a budget of £25k, bearing in mind that was 6 or 7 years ago and the price of pyro has gone up a fair bit since then.

Last year looked like a solid £20k show to me. Cost of laser and light hire isn't that much so again probs around the £25k mark. Rule of thumb for large firework displays like this is £1000 per minute.

Then you have you have the other costs of event management, fencing, marshalls etc. Can't see each night costing more than £30k to be honest. Absolutely no where near a £2million for 3 nights.
Chris W

The display was good, shame the lack of wind ruined the show slightly.

People visiting over the next 2 days wont be disappointed! :D

And for those not visiting, expect a 3 angle HD video online in a few days :)
Kaz

No way was it £2 million. Perhaps taking marketing material and all the other factors into account... but even then that would be massively over the top. Not even London's world class NYE display costs £2 million.
The Crab of Nemesis

Did get the TowersNerd stream going in the end. Looked like avery solid display and from what people are saying on here Towers weren't short of fireworks. Those lights also look amazing, not seen the Towers looking so good in a while.

But the issue is the music really. By just using generic pop and rock song (excepting ITHOTMK) it seemed just like a standard fireworks display but with better effects - I think the current management need to look at what they pulled off i 1998 - that was special!

Having said all that, it did look like a tremendous show and I'm mush happier the park has it than when it didn't - I did laugh at the 'Alton Towers' in that duck sauce song!
ImageSince 2008
ubagel

Looking forward to this. And for anyone wanting the 'official' line on entry with passes, I got this back from Merlin (super-fast reply on the e-mail today):
I can confirm that with the Standard Merlin Annual Pass you are allowed entry to the theme park on the 5th November. However the Standard Alton Towers Pass is restricted.
DanB

Loved this years fireworks. There may not be a storyline but the lighting and fireworks were top notch.

I'm sure there will be some better quality videos coming soon but here is my video of the show. It should be available in 1080P in a few hours. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VllWH3pRaM

I also managed to get a photo of all the lights at the end of the show.
Jordan

I thought the fireworks were better than last year, there seemed to be many more fireworks and the finale felt far more impressive than last year's display.

The smoke issues were a shame, but that's completely down to circumstance and hopefully the wind might pick up a little bit today and tomorrow. :)
Mike

That looks impressive! Will refrain from watching the video until after Sunday though....having never seen a Towers firework display, I have high expectations now :P

Thanks to Ian for the sig!
Tom G

I'm not sure where these 25k previous figures have come from, but I would certainly expect that amount of fireworks to cost a seven-figure sum over three days.
Fantasmic

The lack of wind was a shame wasn't it... but at least the rain stopped!
Big Dave

[quote=""PeteB""][quote=""davewazere""][quote=""Tom G""]I wonder how much they spend on the displays over the three days? £3m?[/quote]

Thats rubbish. The old shows with all the special fx had a budget of £25k, bearing in mind that was 6 or 7 years ago and the price of pyro has gone up a fair bit since then.

Last year looked like a solid £20k show to me. Cost of laser and light hire isn't that much so again probs around the £25k mark. Rule of thumb for large firework displays like this is £1000 per minute.

Then you have you have the other costs of event management, fencing, marshalls etc. Can't see each night costing more than £30k to be honest. Absolutely no where near a £2million for 3 nights.[/quote]

£2million sounds about right actually. Some of the larger fireworks cost a few hundred alone! Then take into account the lighting, speaker system, creation of the the show, entertainers, etc, etc and I think £2million over 3 days doesnt sound far off to me! To rent just one speaker (theres probably about 50 in total, not including the cables) costs around £100 for 3 days!