Ice Skating this Xmas at Alton Towers.

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Chaz

Just thought I'd keep you informed of what I found...

[url=http://www.altontowers.com/events/christmas/iceskating/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.altontowers.com/events/christmas/iceskating/[/url]

Any idea where it'll be behind the hotel? Maze area?
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Wes

Brilliant!

They've needed this for years. I expect it will be very magical. Cheap as well.

:clap:
Jem8472

Are they just going to freeze the waterpark? :?
Voke

Great addition to the Christmas line-up! How much will this cost, i'm worrying it'll be abit too expensive?
Coke

Children £3
Adults £5

30 minute sessions

Not too bad prices, about inline with what i would expect from Alton Towers.

Are you thirsty?
Voke

Is Ice-Skating exclusive to hotel guests? Or will they have to pay the fee ontop of there Hotel cost?
Coke

From altontowers.com
Available to all guests staying over or visiting the Waterpark, Extraordinary Golf or Santas lunches! 30minute Sessions must be booked at Hotels Reception desks.

EDIT:

The prices are good value compared to The London Eye Eyeskate - which costs £8.50 for children & £11.50 for adults!

Are you thirsty?
Voke

Oh okay, thanks for the information. And they're bound to make more money from the London Eye Iceskating, as they'll get more people therefore why not rise the prices! ;)
NickT04

More worrying is the fact it says "from" £5 when I just went on it!
Hark

Saw them setting this up today by the chess board / conference centre by Alton Towers Hotel
Joe Koopa

Should be a good addition, I'm a little disappointed it's not on-park though. I really think they should make the park-side of their christmas event open to all. All they really have to do is plop the ice-skating there, open Sonic Spinball (and if it doesn't close) The Beastie and I'd happy happy to pay £12 for park entry..

:)
gosling

Ahh man! I love this! I wish I'd considered AT for my Christmas present before I said "We'll go halves on a TV" lol #-o
~ Good try but not this time ~
AstroDan

£5?

Shame that it's not included when you're already paying to be a hotel guest.

EP's Christmas event offers Skiing, Ski-Bobs, Snow Tubing and Ice Skating all part of the day charge...
James

£5 is still good value for money considering this is Alton Towers. They could've made it free for guests considering how much it costs to stay in the hotels, but this is Alton, and they like to make more money at every opportunity.
AstroDan

Indeed. And they're all the worse for it. It's Merlin, anyway - not so much Alton itself.

:)
oldgitBEN

Im doing a Santa Sleepover and think it is extremely good value for money (well if you book early, id hate to think of the price now) but I must admit I am abit dissapointed this hasnt been included with the package.
Alton have certainly got parents over a barrel with this one, who will be able to tell their kids no when the hotel faces the thing.

Wheres Altons Christmas spirit?.
Anonymous

It is a rather sad and desperate move on Merlins part, if its the out building between the big pond and ATH... then £5 is a bit steep! Especially since it isn't included for hotel guests.

As Dan has already pointed out about EP, need I say more?

But it's all about money with Merlin! - Market it, mass produce it and flog it. Long as they get the cash, They don't care how it's presented.
Dormiens-Dave

Its an outdoor ice-rink how are they meant to present it?

We all know EP do these things well and they dont look to rip the money out of peoples pockets like towers do, however they are a family run operation at EP unlike Towers

I dont think £5 is a bad price for this as when the outdoor ice rink comes to birmingham its about £9 for the same sort of thing.

Though in all honesty i would have included one go with the hotel package.
Michaél

I have to hand it to Alton, they are heading in the right direction by providing 'Wintery' activities to make the resort itself more appealing in the closed season. Although I think they still could be doing a lot more and ought to be providing it for a cheaper price (^ I'd agree that they should have at least included one go on the ice rink with a hotel package, perhaps one free turn per night stayed?).

I think it would be far more effective if they opened up the park more and put all the 'Wintery activities' there so they can bundle them all into one ticket. People would probably be more up for paying if they got a ticket in to do more than one thing - plus the available rides. Yes, parks like Europa Park and Phantasialand do similar things but what's the harm in taking good ideas? I still stand by that it is a wasted opportunity for Alton not to invest in some quality dark rides to further extend the rides available to hotel guests in the closed season...

This maybe a thoughtless Merlin money maker but I think it's going to be a good way for the resort to go. Hopefully we'll see the Winter season grow as an event over the next few years, much like Scarefest is ever expanding.
Wes

£5 is brilliant value for money!

I went ice skating at Somerset House at the start at the year which set me back a tasty £15.