Alton Towers Recruitment 2011

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
benzi89

Erm im working with a guy called adrian that all i know do you know what team that is...

The assessment center is about 3 hours mate just be yourself everyone was really friendly when i went there.

Its a unique type of interview you will be having but just go with the flow and you should come out ok.
Emrys

Out of curiosity what is the structure like at Alton Towers?

I've always imagined it like this:
Ride host
Ride Op
Area supervisor
Shift manager
Management

But im guessing there's a little more involved by the looks of it.
Anonymous

[quote=""Emrys""]Out of curiosity what is the structure like at Alton Towers?

I've always imagined it like this:
Ride host
Ride Op
Area supervisor
Shift manager
Management

But im guessing there's a little more involved by the looks of it.[/quote]
If you're talking about rides. Then here is how the 'ranks' go

Trainee Ride Host - Must be governed, followed and trained by any one above them in rank - Trainees must complete so many hours on a ride to be passed off, once hours are complete. A test will be given on your trained ride by a ride assessor.

Ride Host - Is allowed to work independently on the ride and make decisions in regards to the ride. Must follow orders from Op but can over ride the op if the situation presents it's self.

Trainee Ride Operator - Basically the same as a ride op, just governed by an assessor. If things get too much, the assessor can take over. They're always there to act as a back up op. Again, you must complete so many hours of practical work before being able to work alone. For the big roller coasters. This is often a FULL 24hour of governed work on the ride. A test will also be given to determine if you can work as a sole ride op.

Ride Operator - Controls the over all operation of the ride, is essentially a team leader towards the ride hosts. Jots in all the paper work, manages cleaning, coordinates the team and break downs. Liaisons with control operations and ranks above them. - Ride Ops also work up within the same rank, You can't just become an op for a 'big' ride. You have to start of with something small, gain trust. Then ranks above you will authorise you for training on the next ride in the layer. For example. Blade > Ripsaw > Nemesis/Air. NB: To operate a ride, you must be passed off as a host on it too.

Ride Assessor - Also an operator, this person assesses trainees and is responsible for any training given. Must be ticked off and signed by said person. They are the official trainers.

Assistant Area Coach - There is 2 assistant area coaches, who help the area coach with tasks. Each assistant area coach is assigned to a ride. For example, one would work and help control the air staff and one would control the nemesis staff. Still all governed in one ride area. They also help aid area coaches in decision making and discipline procedures.

Area Coach - Manager of the entire area for rides, these are the go-to people who make decisions. They control what happens with the rides and staff. They motivate the team. Also if a code red is called anywhere on park, every manager has to respond.

I think that covers the best part of how it works, hope you find the info useful! :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dormiens-Dave

God knows there are 30 people who can answer this better than me but i think it is from discussing with the people that work there

Ride Host
Ride Op
Assessor (sort of linked in with ride op)
Assistant area coach
Area coach
then either head of Thrill or Head of family depending on which team you are in
Emrys

Brilliant replies cheers; my curiosity is now tamed.
I see it's a lot more complex than I imagined, from someone who works in the bar trade I tried to place that there and was somewhat right. Just one more, what is a code red and by managers I presume you mean Towers management?
Anonymous

[quote=""Emrys""]Brilliant replies cheers; my curiosity is now tamed.
I see it's a lot more complex than I imagined, from someone who works in the bar trade I tried to place that there and was somewhat right. Just one more, what is a code red and by managers I presume you mean Towers management?[/quote]

Code red is various things, it can be if a ride needs evacing. Sky ride has broken down, major incident on park. e.g. Th13teen hand incident that happened. Usually quite serious in effect. This year, the managers were like "Oh off to Th13teen again" which is usually a comment made because of a 13 evac.

Area coach is manager for one area, rides only. e.g. area coach of the valley is manager of all the rides and ride staff in that area.

In terms of code red, yes all management need to attend. Directors do as well... quite often.
phil8y

Just went to my assessment and had a realllly intense interview, loads of questions :wink:

Hope i get a job i really want this, i love rides and love the outdoors. What are the chances of getting a job, i heard someone say on here if you have an interview with loads of questions you most likely will have a job where as if you have a short one you wont? is there much truth in this?

Also if i get a job and they ring me up and say we want you to be a ride host how long does the job last, is it for life? i heard you have to reapply each season?
Mr P

The Job would just last for the season (I think Ride-host contracts end on the 6th November this year) The re-application process is quicker than the application process ('coz if you've been there a year, they know how good you are at that job).
:D
phil8y

ok thats good, is it usually pretty easy to get put on for the next season then? i presume this is how it usually works, do a season, interview, do a season, interview like that basically?
Mr P

Yeah that's pretty much the system.

Returning staff get a chance to re-apply before they start recruiting new staff, so you're more likely to get the job once you've been there than applying for the first time.

:D
jomo1993

Has anyone who had their interview on tuesday heard back from Alton towers yet? :D
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Star

Hi again! Thanks to everyone to replied to my question not been able to get on the net for a while but thanks! That helps :)
I'm thinking I should have been researching a little more about alton towers now... lol
Gunna spend the rest of the evening learning about all the attractions!
I had to rearrange my interview to this Tuesday due to travel problems. Which was very annoying but Im thankful I still have an interview.
Anyone else got one on tuesday 14th at 9.30?
Thanks again for the help :)
Lavinder

I've got to go to "Magic HQ" at 9:30am on the 20th (Thursday), I'm getting a lift from someone. Can anyone tell me directions please? :oops: :oops:
thefatone

Simply enter the park, follow signs to coach park/express parking - its that big green building. Huge blue starry sign saying employee parking as you enter the coach park :)
Lavinder

Thank you :lol: . I think I remember seeing this green building when we had to walk instead of taking the monorail #-o
jomo1993

Has anyone who had their ride host interview last tuesday (11th) heard back of Alton Towers yet? Im literally dying to find out whether i was successful or not and i havnt heard back yet :( :D
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
AWTSW90

It takes them around 2 weeks to reply, (although if you're definitely unsuccesful they reply within a couple of days, so that may mean you've been shortlisted at least) I'd say expect a reply around the 24th or 25th
Dan7893

I had my interview on the 11th too, I'm still waiting too. I hope I get a job :) From what I've checked last year about 16000 people applied for 850 jobs but only 1600 got an interview. So theres a 50/50 chance in it really.
Kaycee

I think there's a misconception that ANYONE can get a job at Alton Towers. In truth, the jobs that exist (I'm referring mainly to rides, not sure on other roles) are highly fought for with a high ratio of applicants:jobs. So give it your all, peeps! :D Good luck!
jomo1993

[quote=""Dan7893""]I had my interview on the 11th too, I'm still waiting too. I hope I get a job :) From what I've checked last year about 16000 people applied for 850 jobs but only 1600 got an interview. So theres a 50/50 chance in it really.[/quote]

I can rest now! Thank you soooooo much :D
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS