Chocolate Factory Shop

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Tom G

Forgive me if I missed this, I only went on the ride for the first time this month, but why isn't there a Chocolate Factory shop that sells Wonka chocolate? I would have thought it would be very popular indeed.
Stern John

Even a vending machine would be nice. They really missed an opportunity by not putting a shop at the end of this disaster of a ride! :x
Nightfall

I'm guessing your referring to the exit of Charlie and the Chocolate factory :W
Why isn't there a chocolate shop at the end of a chocolate based ride owned by a company renown for trying any method to empty its guests wallets? Who knows! They've missed a series money maker.

My suggestion would be to get an individual chocolate company onsite and have them producing homemade chocolate behind the ride. Then they could link the ventilation system through the ride to give the place that genuine chocolate factory feel. It’s a Win/Win situation. The ride will become more immersive and the exiting guests will be in the mood to buy chocolate :D
Last edited by Nightfall on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image[/align]
rhejenko

yeah i was thinking this too but after thinking about it i have not seen Wonka chocolate around for a very long time so i looked on the net and you can only buy Wonka Sweets and Wonka chocolate in the states now i bought some come to £20 for about 5 items :( not fair i used to love Wonka choc and a wonka shop would have been ace at the Towers
NEMMY CHIC
Tom G

There was a Wonka chocolate bar in the 90s as I recall. Not sure if that was the brand or it was made by someone else. If naming rights were an issue, maybe a deal could have been struck up with them.

The ride is terrible, I don't think it's even that could for kids, but as I say, selling chocolate bars associated with the factory would be great.
Last edited by Tom G on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McFlurry

When the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory film launched in the UK, nestle who retain the right to distribute and make Wonka Chocolate, launched Wonka Bars in the UK. They were really popular at the time due to the hype etc around the film however they were quite expensive considering.

After time I'm guessing due to poor sales these were withdrawn. I'm sure however if Alton were to get in touch with nestle then some sort of agreement could be arranged if it was profitable for both sides.
Wes

There was actually a shop planned for the end of the ride after the lifts.

(Click to enlarge)
Tom G

Interesting, but would it have ever sold branded chocolate bars!
oldgitBEN

Im not sure, I was under the impression that the shop was orginally to sell the photos that should would have been taken during the ride (I believe the point was to be at the waterfall section of the boat ride).
But like so many things that could have been good about Charlie just never happened.

Look at the plans from the entrance at the things that never happened:

New wall and Gates to the factory (aka the start of the queue)
The 'cinema' room would have had 2 anamatronics to walk past in the centre of the room
On ride photo mid boat ride
The 'tv' room would have had a turntable to direct you to one door, not just a cattle pen
The shop and ORP at the end
And lets not forget the mysterious 'party room' which appeared in plans and then never again

This makes me depressed, Charlie could have been wonderful, instead we got this tat.
Tom G

I had no idea about the plans before, it is a great shame - I went on it for the first time this month but I won't go on it again until it is re-themed. Perhaps it will be knocked down for SW7. I'd also like to see something that beats the drama of Valhalla in a dark ride at Alton Towers.

But yeah, branded chocolate - I think virtually everyone that came off the ride would buy a bar, even as a souvinier. It would have been a right killing but would perhaps be a little silly to introduce it now.
Elle89

A chocolate shop would have been a great addition to the ride I reckon! I do like all the Quentin Blake illustrations from the Roald Dahl book that are included on the ride, however judging by those plans we could've had much more on there :( .
Voke

A shop would of just added to the experience, they've definatley missed an oppertunity there. But i've seen Wonka Bar's in my local Co-Op, nowhere else though :|

I wonder what the mysterious Party Room would've been? Could it be an interactive room, such as the likes of Berry Bish Bash, but with balloons? We'll never know.
Mr P

It does seem a terrible shame that the plan never became reality.
To be honest though, If the shop had been built, it would have been as half-arsed as the rest of the ride is now, possibly even more so!
:D
CoasterCrazyChris

It was such a missed opportunity. Considering the Cadbury Chocolate Shop resided in the area for years it just seems a shame that when CATCF came along a new one wasn't put in.

I still think that the idea of a boat ride into Willy Wonka's factory was a great idea to replace Toyland Tours, but I don't think the park at the time was in the right position to be pulling off great dark rides (btw i'm guessing John Wardley had no involvement?).

Instead of replacing it with a bit of work it could be good I reckon.
Voke

[quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]i'm guessing John Wardley had no involvement?)[/quote]

Yep, your right. John Wardley had nothing to do with CATCF. It's a licensed name.
Big C

[quote=""Voke""][quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]i'm guessing John Wardley had no involvement?)[/quote]

Yep, your right. John Wardley had nothing to do with CATCF. It's a licensed name.[/quote]

I think we can all see that John had no involvment as otherwise if he did, it probably would of been half decent, probably amazing! But again, we will never know.

Ok so Charlie is the worst ride in the park however it still gets crowds! I don't know how but i just wish a lot more could of been done!

Saying this, Alton were in no position to re theme a great ride. They had to think of a quick replacement to get the crowds in for next year! Try and market Toyland Tours again instead of replacing it with cheap Crap! There is not one animatronic in the whole ride! Isn't there?

God save Charlie, oh by the way, the shop would of been awesome! :oops: :lol:
Secret submission lover.
Who doesn't love that comfy piece of chance?

I am a brass band nerd, deal with it!
Voke

It gets the queues due it being a family ride and i'm pretty that with a name as "Charlie And The Choclatte Factory" it'll grab peoples attention. And trust me, the younger children/parents don't judge attractions like we do.
Pennywise

[quote=""Voke""]It gets the queues due it being a family ride and i'm pretty that with a name as "Charlie And The Choclatte Factory" it'll grab peoples attention. And trust me, the younger children/parents don't judge attractions like we do.[/quote]

No, it gets queues due to a woeful capacity and frequent breakdowns.
Voke

Woeful Capacity? Surely it can hold just over 30 people? Maybe even the same as Hex?
DiogoJ42

I'm sure I remember a quote from a John Wardley email response to someone a few years ago, which said "Spinball, Charlie and Rita had nothing to do with me!"