Chocolate Factory Shop

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
[Archive]

Apparently Professor Burp's Bubbleworks at Chessington used to sell real drinks branded with the Professor Burp brand in its shop. It is perfectly possible to do, just takes a bit of money and the will to keep the production line going.
Big C

And those 3 rides are the weak links in the park, theres the reason!

Tip for Alton: Don't go alone when creating a ride, try consulting some experts!

The actauly tow boat system is a mack, and usually a tow boat system has one hell of a through put around the 1500 per hour mark. But im not sure...
Secret submission lover.
Who doesn't love that comfy piece of chance?

I am a brass band nerd, deal with it!
Pennywise

[quote=""numb3r1towersfan""]
The actauly tow boat system is a mack, and usually a tow boat system has one hell of a through put around the 1500 per hour mark. But im not sure...[/quote]

However, due to the significantly lower capacity of the elevators, not all the boats are filled. I'm not sure what the actual capacity is, but it's significantly lower.

:)
Voke

[quote=""electricBlll""]Apparently Professor Burp's Bubbleworks at Chessington used to sell real drinks branded with the Professor Burp brand in its shop. It is perfectly possible to do, just takes a bit of money and the will to keep the production line going.[/quote]

It shouldn't be hard at all for them to start selling the bars as the owner of the "Wonka" bar brand is Nestle. Which are already partners with the park, and I dont see why they would turn the offer down?
NickT04

Would you bother with a chocolate shop when your contracted with Nestle?

I always take a few Dairy Milk's with me as a two fingered salute :)
Wes

I think the big issue here is that the ride is lisenced through the Dahl estate - If I remember correctly, the family were very touch and go about the ride happening and a LOT of the rides budget went towards the Dahl family for lisences to use illustrations, designs and the story.

Because of this, I doubt that a contract with Nestle to sell products relating to CATCF would have gone down too well with the Dahl family.
Mr P

With all these royalties to the Dahl Family, and the total lack of a decent final product, it makes you wonder why AT even bothered to get it past the planning stage...
haydn!

The lack of branded chocolate is likely due to a rights issue.

Alton Towers sell only Cadbury chocolate on site, not Nestle. There is likely some 'exclusivity' claus which states the park cannot sell Nestle products. You see similar deals all the time, it's why McDonalds only sell Coke, not Pepsi and Fanta but never Tango.
Mr P

But you can buy Nestle products...
haydn!

[quote=""Mr P""]But you can buy Nestle products...[/quote]

What about chocolate though? I'm fairly certain that there is only Cadbury chocolate available in the different retail outlets. Different agreements are probably in place to cover ice cream, drinks, etc so you may some Nestle ice creams, though I believe this is exclusively Walls? But you do see Nescafe for the coffee!
Mr P

Bags of Aero Bubble are available inside the park, and so are Milky Bars. Both Nestle Chocolate Products.
Wes

Completely off topic, but I believe that Cadburys lost their contract at the start of this season.
Tom G

Oh well, if anyone wants a piece of nostalgia: [url=http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?p ... &gaw=fro01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?p ... &gaw=fro01[/url]

I remember the Cadbury's shop now, forgot about it until now! Until this year, I hadn't been to AT since 1998.
Nightfall

Cadburys lost their contract at the Towers years ago (at least 3). It was taken over by Nestle although they can hardly be called a chocolate company. There only plain chocolate is Yorkie, which is why we always bring our own.

Even if Nestle have the rights to a Wonka bar I’d prefer an independent company to set up near Charlie. It would suit the theme better. It could be like Honeydukes at IoA.
[align=center]Image[/align]
CoasterCrazyChris

Urgh, Nestle chocolate is crap!

Shame there is no Cadbury at the park anymore, as they are both british instititutions they go hand in hand.
oldgitBEN

there used to be a cadbury shop where the twirling toadstool now stands many years ago, which left the park in 2000(ish). I believe Alton and Cadbury parted ways 3 or more years ago, around the same time McDonalds left.

And the current 'Wonka' brand which makes such amazing delights as 'Nerdz' (Hi Simon and Satch) is not related to cadbury or nestle, so its understandable why they dont want a competetors product in their area.

Its common business sense for them. As for Alton, its been a long time since they produced any confectionary themselves (Nemesis drink i think is the last, i think) and why go to the effort of producing chocolate at cost to upset your sponsor brand and potentially not even sell.

--

As for the ride, the Dahl family apparently had rather alot of involvement with the ride. They approved the plans and original concepts. Then during construction decided they werent happy and allegedly some scenes where changed, at altons cost, to become the half arsed job we see now. But then again (allegedly) the Dahl family had the first ride on the completed ride and signed it off as acceptable.
I think the phrase 'money grabbing' comes to mind.

--

All I can say is I hope Alton burnt their hand and dont bother going for other IP ideas in the future
Coke

Nemesis drink was actually manufactured by CocaCola, so it has been even longer...

Are you thirsty?
NickT04

[quote=""haydn!""][quote=""Mr P""]But you can buy Nestle products...[/quote]

What about chocolate though? I'm fairly certain that there is only Cadbury chocolate available in the different retail outlets. Different agreements are probably in place to cover ice cream, drinks, etc so you may some Nestle ice creams, though I believe this is exclusively Walls? But you do see Nescafe for the coffee![/quote]

There's been no Cadbury for years! It's all Milkybar's and Toffee Crisps etc which are all Nestle.
djtruefitt

It does seem a real wasted opportunity not to have a shop there (not that I really buy anything from these shops) but the majority of rides have shops, from the big rides like Air and 13 to small rides like the Mine train! Surely any cost in making a shop would have been a good investment due to the amount you would get back from sales, surely they could just sell Nestle chocolate and other products they sell in their normal shops rather than themed Wonka bars?

Not only that but there is a big empty space at the end of the ride where you could fit a nice little sweet/chocolate shop in just like in the original film when Charlie won his ticket.
[Archive]

Gah! It isn't based on any film, it is based on the original novel.

But, yes, a big themed chocolate shop would great to see. Instead we just have a small empty room with a "bon-bon voyage" sign in it. ;)