Scarefest 2011: General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
cmpunk771

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]I really do hate the whole "walk in a chain like mustard gas victims at the Somme" thing. Why can't they just let us walk normally?[/quote]

Health and safety

1- Keeps your hands off the actors
2- keeps the groups together so the front of the group don't run ahead etc

It makes sense otherwise where does one group end and another one start?
corkscru74

Also means you're a lot less likely to run...head first into a wall.

And it makes the job easier for the actors - they see the group coming, jump out at the front person, duck into a side tunnel, pop out somewhere else to scare the middle or back of the group.

I personally didn't mind it. Maybe my opinion is biased as I was leading the group and had my girlfriend behind me (rather than some grubby stranger) but I had a great experience of ToTT.
Corky
TTF\'s Unofficial Marketing Guru
Being way too fond of his own opinion since 1983
fanfanfan123

Hex Live

I would just like to put across :-

Me and my colleague actually created hex live because we thought it would be a great opportunity to enhance hex the ride we worked on . We put our own money into the project and created the event ourselves . we had mny ideas for last year that wernt agreed on but we tried our best to enhance it as much as we could and i think it actually worked well . We did try our best to get it for at least 1 week of scarefest but we only got it for 2 days during the halloween weekend.

It was a trial in 2009 and we battled to get it again in 2010 we did everything we could to get it again and we did (for the limited days )and it was a really good addition to scarefest unfortunately we decided not to re-apply for our positions and there for obviously cannot go further with this event which we really did enjoy doing and we also did it to try and help scarefest get bigger and better.

I feel its a shame that this event has been lost and should have grown stronger every year after all it has the perfect setting to host another brilliant scare attraction and should have a small budget.

we managed to do it on 2 of our wages and bought costumes extra theming etc etc so icant understnad why Alton towers cannot put as little as £500 into this . Some of us were from acting backgrounds so we were not just ride staff. But the top and bottom of it all is that the staff we had were passionate about going that extra mile and enhancing the park for you & make it enjoyable for you guys !

Jollylee11

I feel safer in a group, yeah it will more scary alone, but i would rather be in a group
Liam B

cheers for what you did :)
OvenChips

Carnival of screams was my best maze this year, and was my least fave last year. After the photo at the start, everyone jumped behind me and made me go in first lol It was my first time leading a group and my heart was pounding. The actors kept telling me to go ways which were the wrong way, i ended up in mirrors etc :D was funny.
The dotted room didnt have anyone in there when we went on tueday though, and a clown called me a silly boy! in his clownish voice.
Boiler house let me down this year :(

I had a great time though, in park and hotel. Its a shame i have to wait another long year till i go again..
I might attend spookyworld or scarekindom next week, i heard they have some cool mazes.....anyone ever been or tried them?
AT TeeJay

[quote=""OvenChips""]Carnival of screams was my best maze this year, and was my least fave last year. After the photo at the start, everyone jumped behind me and made me go in first lol It was my first time leading a group and my heart was pounding. The actors kept telling me to go ways which were the wrong way, i ended up in mirrors etc :D was funny.
The dotted room didnt have anyone in there when we went on tueday though, and a clown called me a silly boy! in his clownish voice.

I had a great time though, in park and hotel. Its a shame i have to wait another long year till i go again..
I might attend spookyworld or scarekindom next week, i heard they have some cool mazes.....anyone ever been or tried them?[/quote]

Spooky World is poor. Last year I went after Scarefest and It wasn't scary one bit just a couple of actors in poorly made costumes trying to intimidate you. No storyline's very bad theming such as stuff you buy from Tesco and very generic ideas such as one of the attractions last year being called the haunted house. They have scrapped the Haunted house now and replaced it with 2 new mazes but your better off attending Scarefest again. Or there is Farmeggedon near Liverpool heard that's quite scary
---- You\'d Better Not Go Alone ---
AT TeeJay

[quote=""OvenChips""]Carnival of screams was my best maze this year, and was my least fave last year. After the photo at the start, everyone jumped behind me and made me go in first lol It was my first time leading a group and my heart was pounding. The actors kept telling me to go ways which were the wrong way, i ended up in mirrors etc :D was funny.

I might attend spookyworld or scarekindom next week, i heard they have some cool mazes.....anyone ever been or tried them?[/quote]

Spooky World is poor. Last year I went after Scarefest and It wasn't scary one bit just a couple of actors in poorly made costumes trying to intimidate you. No storyline's very bad theming such as stuff you buy from Tesco and very generic ideas such as one of the attractions last year being called the haunted house. They have scrapped the Haunted house now and replaced it with 2 new mazes but your better off attending Scarefest again. Or there is Farmeggedon near Liverpool heard that's quite scary
---- You\'d Better Not Go Alone ---
coasterollie

[quote=""OvenChips""]I might attend spookyworld or scarekindom next week, i heard they have some cool mazes.....anyone ever been or tried them?[/quote]

I went to press evening of Scare Kingdom last week and it was good fun. It has 5 mazes that get more and more scary as they go on and they also have a small funfair as well. :)
Ryan.

Just a few quick questions about Scarefest. Is ERT available? if not will Towers Street be open from 9 so you could go to the box office or towers street restaurant? also can you collect your scare maze tickets from the box office or do you have to go to the pre-booked tickets windows before you enter the park?
siralgenon

[quote=""Ryan.""]Just a few quick questions about Scarefest. Is ERT available? if not will Towers Street be open from 9 so you could go to the box office or towers street restaurant? also can you collect your scare maze tickets from the box office or do you have to go to the pre-booked tickets windows before you enter the park?[/quote]

Hey Ryan, welcome to TTF :) No, ERT is not availible for Scarefest so the Park opens at 10:00 :) I think they open Towers Street at 9:30 (correct me if im wrong) so guests can wonder through Towers Trading etc. :) Not sure about the pre-booked tickets though
Last edited by siralgenon on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
coasterollie

^^There's no ERT during Scarefest.
JD81

Visited Thursday and overall was disappointed by this year's offering. Came away thinking it was just a half hearted effort by the park tbh. I hate to say it but the only positive I came away with was the Scare Zone which I found to be an entertaining addition, however, I think staff should warn parents of young children before entering. I appreciate that parents should have the sense to try the attraction before taking kids through but the sight of several Zombies actually crouching down and growling at a crying young girl who must have only been around 4 years of age just didn't sit comfortably with me.

Park was dead so plenty of re ride opportunites but for me riding in the dark is all about the use of atmospheric lighting which was simply not present. As pointed out by many others previously, Nemesis lighting is plain awful. Also still find it hard to believe that Duel has not been given more focus, there were even several broken effects inside. It just seems a no brainer to make full use of a Haunted House for Halloween !

I admit that I have not been a huge fan of the What Lies Within version of ToTT (preferring previous incarnations), but this years effort was poor. At around 6.00pm on Thursday we didn't see a single actor until around half way through the maze and only encountered four the whole way around, with just one in the strobe maze. Leading the small group, it was a case of turning a corner to see an actor just blocking our progress, just no "jump" scares whatsoever. It was so "is that it" I decided to keep the £48 it would have cost me for our group to enter the other mazes in my pocket fearing much of the same.

I really didn't intend for this to be negative but that just the way I saw it. :cry: I really hope that Alton pulls it's socks up and proves me wrong when we return at the weekend.
CandyCaneKiss

Just had a quick look at Th13teen Girl's Tumblr page, we had a picture taken with her and two Wraiths last Sunday just outside the Th13teen entrance, thanks for sharing that link :)
Anyway, just wanted to share our Scarefest experience without the whole other topic of the 16th October clouding it...

Carnival of Screams : The only maze I have ever been in at Alton Towers is ToTT (2003 and 2008) so I was looking quite forward to this, seeing as I think I'm the only person I know who isn't even one tiny bit creeped out by clowns.
At points, I got quite confused and dizzy from all the flashing lights and the very loud, overlapping music.
It didn't help that I had my 6ft tall 16 year old brother clung to my back hiding from the clowns lol
Overall though, I did enjoy the maze more than I was expecting to, just a little disappointed that it wasn't longer, and the ending was a bit of a let down from what I have read about last year. 7/10

Zombie Scare Zone : I actually really enjoyed this, I wasn't looking too forward to going inside, as many people who know me know my stance of the whole zombie situation... "if it ain't shuffling, I ain't interested!"
Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised, the area was very well themed and the zombies were OK, nothing special but it was a laugh if nothing else, and one of them zombies REALLY liked my OH :D 8/10
(Here's my video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDHSYTALljE)

In general, I do agree the lighting around the rides was pretty poor this year and I also think decoration around the park in general needs looking at too, although the pumpkins are a nice touch it does feel a bit "samey" as you walk round the park, I know its Halloween but there is so much more to Halloween than pumpkins... ;)
My only main gripe is nothing to do with the park itself, but I missed out on the one opportunity I was wishing for all year... I didn't get my photo taken with Patch! Oh well, looks like I will be attending next year then :)
hannah12792

Went yesterday to Scarefest ..... Had an amazing time ... Both The Boiler House and Carnival of Screams were great but just way too short considering you are paying an extra 12 pounds for them .... Boiler House is definatley better than last year but although Carnival was good it seems more like an afterthought. Terror of the Towers on the other is just fantastic -ended up going twice once at midday and then again at around 9:15pm ... My tip would be go later they chuck in a hell.of a lot more actors and they are more in your face and downright terrifying :) ! But can anyone tdll me what the music is that they play in the strobe lighting section of the maze ? I know the queue theme is the Dead Silence soundtrack but I can't find the strobe lighting music anywhere ? PLEASE HELP !
gazag

i went back yesterday with scaretour for some exclusive stuff.
gat a behind the scenes tour of the COS and the boiler house. theres so much room in that tent its unbeliveable and its incredable how the sound from each of the maze,s dosent leak into each other. the hamble masks are incredably hard to see through and the gorilla suits are incredabelly awsome

boiler house has lost 2 actors yesterday as one has left and the other has broken there arm so there was a few less scares but the 6 of us got a COS special walkthough where we was the only group in the maze. we had 8 carricters in the final cage. it was terrorfying.

TOTT was in top form aswell with plenty of cares. even went trough as a group of 3 and i came out the other end shakeing.

the park lighting looked better but the dark forest still has way to much light in it. the actors at th13teen were doing a fantastic job through the exit line though.

a mention of hex though, there was an actor in there just one who was doing his job pretty well but the vault is now in dire condition, the spin was extrmemely slow, the timeing was of, a few lights were broken and the sound was quite and cutting in and out.
Magrathea

[quote=""Simon""][quote=""Luke""]
Hmm, definitely wasn't Minuet in G Major, but definitely had a similar Baroque sound to it...anyone fancy recording it from outside the Towers?
It's Minuet - Johann Krieger, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d62nSI0b ... re=related 1:16 and was in the 2008 version too for the same scene, the Banquet Hall.

I don't know which version it is though, it's not a particularly popular Minuet - there's not much on Amazon / iTunes so my guess is it's from a Royalty Free Website, and therefore possibly under a different name.[/quote]

It does appear to be popular: most of the suggested videos from your one there to "Krieger: Minuet in A minor" are to people playing this on myriad obsolete instruments.

I suspect at some point it's been an exam piece, given the seeming total lack of context that surrounds it.

However: master researcher that I am, I can now exclusively reveal that:

* It was written in 1697
* It is part of a set of 6 Partitas for keyboard (harpsichord) ("Sechs Musikalischer Partien")
* It's the last movement of the Partita in B, although the Minuet itself is in the key of A minor.

The sheet music is here:

http://bit.ly/nLTuas

Have fun :D

Thanks, Luke! You have stopped me from going mad.[/quote]

It seems to have been a Grade 1 ABRSM Piano piece in 2007-2008, from what I can see, which would explain its prominence. Interesting that Towers' version uses a completely different instrumentation :).
Benzin

Wouldn't say the spinning on Hex is slow, it's probably the most powerful in my experience...

However, everything else in the Vault (music and parking) are still awful... Maybe a good old fashioned refurb is in order over winter... Charlie on the other hand has the models working again, although going through the Inventing Room with no sound was actually more scary than it should have been...

I enjoyed my day at Scarefest on Wednesday, decent atmosphere, the Scarezone is very good and will hopefully return in the future... I was affected as much by the lighting as everyone else though... Thirteen is still a different beast and Nemesis was running extremely well... Indeed, it was whipping the train like Katun does...

Not sure on the placement of the mazes though... Make it feel a tad cluttered, unbalanced and just adverts everywhere... Don't do mazes so dunno what they're actually like...

I disliked the lack of Duel Live even more when there... Freaky Farm looked really good, not sure what was going on with the Trick or Treat doors... I approve of the music leaking out of TOTT, really helped create an eerieness outside there... Maybe play more music throughout the season?

It was usual stuff for me really... Plus I brought a new glass paperweight... Years after getting one from Thorpe... Good times...
Liam B

Gazag. How did you get to go behind the scenes???
NoseyElephant

PLEASE someone clear this up for me!!!

I've just gotten back from a stay at the resort - checked in Splash Landings 17th - 21st. Then one the 21st we stayed in a Scare room and have come home today.

I'm really sad because i have so many positive things to say about my stay, however, on Friday my trip to the theme park ruined my holiday.

We visited Franklyn's Freaky Farm.
After briefly going through previous posts, everyone has positive things to say about it. (Now i'm really sorry if i sound like im having a go at you all, but hopefully you'll understand why im so upset)
Did noone notice the truely awful conditions the animals were living in?! Im not talking about the farm aniamls, im talking about the "freaky" animals eg the frogs and spiders etc.

I have so many examples of totally inexcusable living conditions that i can name them all if people want but just to name a few for now:
-- The skunk - Living in a container just big enough for him to lie down in. No space to walk, just enough to satnd up and turn around. Disgusting
-- The bats - Not enough room to fly
-- The Snake and Skink - Both clearly in poor health as they were not shedding their skins whole. They were broken up and very flaky. Niether had any rocks to help resolve the problem (when having probalems shedding, reptiles will rub against rocks or other rough surface to help break the dead skin off.)

Sadly, this list could go on for ages

I asked the staff about these animals, and if they had larger enclosures etc for when they were not on display, and noone could give me an answer.

Im so sorry to rant and to sound like a right wolly when everyone else said it was a really fantastic additon to the park, but i work for an animal welfare organisation and so, yes, maybe i subconciously look out for these things and am really fussy. But i'm sorry, it doesnt take an expert to walk past the skunk and see it has no room to move :cry: :evil:

If anyone could shed light on this for me....maybe one of you were concerned about the animals and asked staff and got a better, more informative response than me? Or maybe Friday was just a one off and for the entire rest of scarefest they all had acceptable enclosures?

Again, so sorry to rant but i had to get this off my chest.
I'm also making a formal complaint because the attitude of the staff i asked was shocking, as they all clearly didnt give 2 hoots. I am all for animals being on show to public to educate them, but quite frankly what i saw was an utter outrage. Which is a real shame, becuase it put a downer on what was a perfectly great week.