Scarefest 2011: General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
siralgenon

[quote=""Sam""]I did Carnival of Screams again on Wednesday.

Wow. I've never seen such a vast improvement in a maze over a Scarefest. Last year, the 'newness' of the maze and some of the clever effects (dotman, the gorilla finale) made the maze amazing. This year, they messed around with a lot of those effects so the actors usual creepy-but-not-scary performances didn't really carry it.

I don't know what's happened, but the actors seem to have completely changed by Wednesday. Whereas before they simply tried to creep you out a bit, yesterday they were full on terrifying. Jumping out and screaming, going completely overboard with the mental breakdown stuff and really making you jump out of your skin time and time again.

It was the first time this year that I felt Carnival delivered on it's promise of making me feel like I was trapped in a nightmare, or a horrific drugs trip. Carnival is back, baby.[/quote]

Oh great, they would make it more scary when im about to go wouldn't they lol :wink:
WildMouse

Here are my reviews of the Scarefest 2011 attractions:

Terror of The Towers - Really good. But not as good as the 2007/09 versions (in my opinion). The strobe maze finale had the same awesome soundtrack, but didn't feel as intense as I remember it being back in the day.

The Carnival of Screams - Waste of £6. Not enough of the weird or wonderful. A few scares would have been nice too (should have brought back Bozo from Room 13!). :P And there was no decent finale. It was far too short for an up-charge attraction. Very disappointed.

The Boiler House - Not much better than the 2009 incarnation. The opening monologue was fantastic. The main maze itself was repetitive and dull. Encountering the Hamble Twins around virtually every corner, skulking about like a pair of losers was more annoying that scary. Once again, no decent finale. Another waste of six quid!

Zombie Scare Zone - A lot of fun. Short but sweet.
djtruefitt

I also did the mazes again last night with a few TTF people, and I think its safe to say we all thought yesterdays mazes were a hundred times better than Saturday. For me the boiler house was still a bit "meh" but it was better than Saturday. I suppose it does depend on your reaction to the masks, for me I dont think them that scary so when I see them I dont get scared, compared to people like Astrodan who was in front of me, and screamed the whole way round! However the main problems still with both mazes is the lack of a proper ending!

However the highlight for me had to be TOTT, after a mad run from Nemesis to TOTT in less than 10 minutes, we were the last two groups to enter. At first I was thinking it was a bit boring and not as great as on Sunday night, but the more we got round the maze the better it got. At some ponts the same actors were jumping out at our group three or four times in different places and really going for our group.

But the highlight for me had to be the strobe maze at the end. I think we all knew something wasnt quite right when we saw an actor from earlier on in the maze coming down the stairs towards the end, this actor then followed us into the strobe maze. As soon as we got in the maze instead of the usual 3 or 4 actors in there, there must have been at least 10 actors in there. All of which from other areas of TOTT. Everywhere you looked there were actors, at some points they were either side of you and following you around. Our group seemed pretty scared. Even down the final coridoor where not a lot usually happens, one actor was hanging from a bar in front of us then two or three actors jumped out from the side and some behind. I think its the first time even I have ran out of a maze!

I hope we get another experience like that again on TOTT.
Last edited by djtruefitt on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

Oh hello, friend! You're back!

Video taken following the final group out of TOTT last night. Taken from outside the exit. Excuse iffy sound quality, it was SO loud.

Love the dentists drill style noise towards the end of the loop, as ever!

:)
Simon

Re: ToTT mystery creepy music, I've done a quick Audioboo of it, James/Pete.

http://boo.fm/b513081

It came out in D minor by my ear, but obviously that could be different. Also thought, in a baroque sense, it could e a Sarabande as well as a Minuet.

Get searching, pop - or rather baroque - fans!

EDIT: I think I'm on to something with Bach Partitas for Solo Violin (the recording was definitely a solo violin). Currently trawling the Minuets and Sarabandes.
Last edited by Simon on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magrathea

Oooh, thanks Simon! I'll check it out when I'm near a computer and ask around :).
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""AstroDan""]Oh hello, friend! You're back!

Video taken following the final group out of TOTT last night. Taken from outside the exit. Excuse iffy sound quality, it was SO loud.

Love the dentists drill style noise towards the end of the loop, as ever!

:)[/quote]

I had forgotten how good that was :o

I will say it's better than this years after hearing it again. Does ANYONE have or know where to get it please??

EDIT

Mattia found it!!

http://www.freeplaymusic.com/search/adv ... ch_ext.php

Go to search page and type in Ruby Quest, it's free as well. :D
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
jackgcse

I know Alton is planned to be very, very busy on Saturday. I was wondering if anyone knew when the traffic jam queue would be most likely being at its worst. What do you believe the queue times will be for Alton towers on Saturday? I believe they have 27,000 people pre-booked for Saturday and many more planned to turn up! I want to know because I am coming from the south east and considering the park is open so late, I do not wish to be in the mark when it first opens, otherwise I will never survive the day!
AstroDan

27,000 pre booked for this Saturday? Usually such figures are only associated for the Saturday et the END of the event!

I am going this weekend, aswell!

*shocked*
Kendalgal

They were setting up the overfill car parks today when we left.....
Mum to Hollie (9) & Madison (5)
oldgitBEN

That was mentioned on Towers Nerd who then corrected themselves and said its for the 29th.

Panic not.
The Crab of Nemesis

[quote=""oldgitBEN""] That was mentioned on Towers Nerd who then corrected themselves and said its for the 29th.

Panic not.
[/quote]

I do hope that is the case, don't think I've ever been at the park with 27,000 plus before. Damn you Towers and all your 'over 50% off Scarefest' offers in the last few weeks!
ImageSince 2008
Kendalgal

Just come back after 2 days on park. We didn't do the 2 paid mazes as reviews on here put us off and tbh when we were thinking of going in they were sending in groups of 2,3 and 4 because the demand wasn't there and that put me off too. We did do TOTT though and imo, was better than last year. We were evacuated near the beginning but quickly sent back in. As soon as we entered it was fab. For us though, there was an added element in the fact 3 of our 10 sent in knew one of the actors so instantly we were picked on and scared more. One of our group said my name so the actor picked up on it and started screaming my name which freaked me out lol!!! I won't go into detail as i don't know how to do the "spoiler" tab but all in all, for us, was intense and better than last year.

The rest was ok but general feel on park wasn't a patch on last year. Lighting was terrible. Was shocked as last year looked amazing. Oh to add too, the new ride area had actors using paddles to scan you for viruses and they gave us cards with details of the new ride and a mini site. Today, they were also felling trees around the site.

We stayed in the Arabian Nights Room too. For those who haven't, it's defo worth a stay. The ultimate fasttracks we were given were wasted though the park was dead.

Monorail opened late this morning too due to the frost overnight. Buses were laid on though.
Mum to Hollie (9) & Madison (5)
Luke

Hmm, definitely wasn't Minuet in G Major, but definitely had a similar Baroque sound to it...anyone fancy recording it from outside the Towers?
It's Minuet - Johann Krieger, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d62nSI0b ... re=related 1:16 and was in the 2008 version too for the same scene, the Banquet Hall.

I don't know which version it is though, it's not a particularly popular Minuet - there's not much on Amazon / iTunes so my guess is it's from a Royalty Free Website, and therefore possibly under a different name.

The name of the TOTT conservatory music is Grisly Reminder - Midnight Syndicate.

http://freeplaymusic.com/search/categor ... t=v&i=1244

Number 5 "Exploration" was the Restoration scene music from 09/10 and I think this years Boiler House queue music. :)

Now I want zee new TOTT strobe music, despite it only lasting 4 days!! Great decision to bring back Ruby Quest though, it's much more foreboding.
coasterollie

Just got back from days at the park. Exhausted but here's my quick thoughts on everything from someone who's never been to ScareFest before.

TOTT: First time was disapointing as we caught up with group in front who had a family with small children at the back so the actors were toning the scares down loads and at one point an actor was down on his knees giving the kids high fives. Fortunately when we did it again later in the day it was LOADS better and one of the best Scare Attractions I've done.

Boiler House: Was told it was crap and it was. Photo failed to make people jump and it just wasn't scary.
Best bit was being back inside the Black Hole tent. Looking up when at the bottom of the stairs is AMAZING and makes you realise how massive the tent is. They need to get rid of Boiler House but what I've heard about what Alton are planning for next year makes me sad. :(

Carnival of Screams: Really enjoyed this maze. Wasn't scary but it was great fun and we were laughing most the way round. Was so different from the other mazes I've done and I love how the actors use the illusions to play around with you. Loved the shrinking corridor and them trying to get people to push through that tiny door, and in the mirror maze when they lead you the wrong way. All it missed was a finale to make people run out. Was certainly the better of the two Black Hole mazes though.

Zombies Scarezone: Was rather impressed. Was expecting the worst after Thorpes attrocious one last year but the themeing was good and some of the actors were quite good. It's certainly a good addition.
People only seem dissapointed with it as they assume it's going to be scary and like a maze when in reality it's just another way of getting to X-Sector with some actors walking round. I think it was more intense for us though as we know a couple of the actors quite well so they went mental and knew they could do stuff to us that they can't to other guests. Got a funny video to upload of what went on. :)

Scare Rooms: Didn't know what to expect with these. The special check in was AMAZING and the actors were really good. The corridor looked fantastic and the theming around the room was nice. I was just expecting quick scares but it plays out more like a show. The characters all have good back stories and link with other characters and they come bursting in and act out roles while throwing in a few jump scares. Really have no idea how one got in the bathroom as we checked for hidden ways in and out the room and the door didn't open.
The finale at the end was fantastic and our room was the last to get it and we kept hearing loads of screams from the other rooms as they came closer and closer. Was great fun although we didn't get much sleep as we had to get up early to have breakfast and check out the next day.
Will do a write up soon of what happens in the scare room with all the times and events and post pictures and a video of it all. :)

Overall I was impressed with Scarefest. I know I have nothing to compare it to but I really enjoyed myself and everyone else seemed to be getting in the spirit of Halloween as well with quite a few people dressed up around the park. :)
corkscru74

[quote=""coasterollie""]

TOTT: First time was disapointing as we caught up with group in front who had a family with small children at the back so the actors were toning the scares down loads and at one point an actor was down on his knees giving the kids high fives.[/quote]
Nice parenting - "Five Pumpkins? Well that'll be fine, our kids love pumpkins!" :lol:

When I was there a guy brought his daughter onto the [s:1v8dm1c2]pirate ship[/s:1v8dm1c2], sorry The Blade - she was about three! She liked it up until about halfway through. I'm not criticising, I remember my dad taking me on there when I was about that age. He had to hold me down to stop me flying out :lol:
Corky
TTF\'s Unofficial Marketing Guru
Being way too fond of his own opinion since 1983
DiogoJ42

Surely the park should be enforcing the age restriction a bit better?
coasterollie

^The age restriction is just recommended and it's the parents decision.
The kids must have been around 5 and 8 and loads of staff kept telling the parents before they went in that it is meant to be scary and that you can't exit halfway though etc.

When I went yesterday the people at the front of the group let go off the chain and rushed off ahead near the start (after being told not to let go of the group) and one of the actors stood in front of them to block them and was like "HANDS ON SHOULDERS, RETARD". It was hilarious as they just froze and did as they were told. :P
DiogoJ42

I really do hate the whole "walk in a chain like mustard gas victims at the Somme" thing. Why can't they just let us walk normally?
Simon

[quote=""Luke""]
Hmm, definitely wasn't Minuet in G Major, but definitely had a similar Baroque sound to it...anyone fancy recording it from outside the Towers?
It's Minuet - Johann Krieger, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d62nSI0b ... re=related 1:16 and was in the 2008 version too for the same scene, the Banquet Hall.

I don't know which version it is though, it's not a particularly popular Minuet - there's not much on Amazon / iTunes so my guess is it's from a Royalty Free Website, and therefore possibly under a different name.[/quote]

It does appear to be popular: most of the suggested videos from your one there to "Krieger: Minuet in A minor" are to people playing this on myriad obsolete instruments.

I suspect at some point it's been an exam piece, given the seeming total lack of context that surrounds it.

However: master researcher that I am, I can now exclusively reveal that:

* It was written in 1697
* It is part of a set of 6 Partitas for keyboard (harpsichord) ("Sechs Musikalischer Partien")
* It's the last movement of the Partita in B, although the Minuet itself is in the key of A minor.

The sheet music is here:

http://bit.ly/nLTuas

Have fun :D

Thanks, Luke! You have stopped me from going mad.
Last edited by Simon on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.