February Half Term & Pre-season 2011

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Chris W

I think its only fair that we give credit to Alton Towers for plussing Duel over the winter. This kinda thing can only be good news.

So well done to those behind the additions of the hand/book/other things! :D
[Archive]

Oh yes, indeed.

If you are reading this...

I LOVE YOU.

Please, ask for a pay rise. If they are giving none away, then I would be happy to give you all of my money. :D
robertscriven

[quote=""Joel""]Arrrr Craig sent in this photo of it too:

Shocking, to be honest. I'm not sure if they are trying to achieve a message with this, or just annoy and confuse the hell out of people with it :?[/quote]

Very odd why there doing this, we can all read, but making it look cheaper than what it is, very misleading, its like there embarrassed at what there charging.

Im sure you will get folk sticking up for the towers :D
monsterdan5

The pricing system is horrid, people are going to get so confused :@

But what does the Duel hand actually do? Or is it just a nice prop?
Jordan

It looks to me like the Ex-VAT pricing is a decision made by Merlin, not Alton Towers, as other Merlin parks like Legoland Windsor do it too. Still, it's a confusing move to customers and something which I think could be done much better.

Even if they didn't have to charge VAT, do you really think they would be charging these lower "Ex Vat" prices? I have a feeling there wouldn't be any change to the consumer in what they currently pay... :P
Voke

[quote=""monsterdan5""]The pricing system is horrid, people are going to get so confused :@

But what does the Duel hand actually do? Or is it just a nice prop?[/quote]

Just a nice prop, the newly added Book has a mechanism that allows it to turn its pages. Quite a nice addition if I must say so myself :)
siralgenon

Didn't I here somwhere that there was some new/revamped zombies on Duel? also the hand was a prop from the Haunted House and it's nice to see its made a welcome return!
[Archive]

The book is not newly added, it is an original effect from the Haunted House when it first opened. It was removed in around 2008, after being inanimate for many years. The same happened to the hand, which I actually remember stumbling across one year (inanimate), before it was removed.

The hand worked on air pressure to make it twitch slightly. The mechanism was hidden underneath a little stool that the jar sat on over on the other side of the room. The stool is still there. I think now there is a new mechanism for the hand in its new location, which, if true, is fantastic news!

The book worked on a mechanism that was concealed in the green velvet chair adjacent to the fireplace. The chair is still there. Apparently the book has not made its reappearance yet but could be soon. And if that is also true then I might have to make a trip up to Alton Towers just for the sake of it all! :mrgreen:

Here is a photo from TowersTimes' own behind the scenes gallery. I think it is safe to say that they made a new prop, judging by the state of the original seen here!
Voke

By newly added I meant newly added to Duel this year, not that it's a completely new prop :)

The Book does look rather interesting, but has there been any confirmations that it's actually been put on display?
Adam

I assume the book is almost ready to go back on display. Probably by main season it will be back.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
monsterdan5

So lets sort this out:

-The Hand Is Back But Inanimate
-An animate book will be making a return soon

Correct? :?:
Rita 2005

[quote=""Joel""]Arrrr Craig sent in this photo of it too:

Shocking, to be honest. I'm not sure if they are trying to achieve a message with this, or just annoy and confuse the hell out of people with it :?[/quote]
That is shocking, it makes AT look like the guys trying to sell you knock off DVD's down the local market. Will they also be putting the Excluding VAT prices on their food and Souvenirs?, or are they trying to make a political point to the government in Merlin's ongoing campaign to have VAT removed from leisure activities as in some other EU countries.
Terra

Reminds me of Canada/America, and i'll tell you now - it is VERY irritating and confusing, especially when the big price says one thing and you don't bother looking at the rest of it. You're definitely in for a surprise when you get to the till, haha.
Chris W

Don't forget guys there is already a topic to discuss the way Alton Towers are displaying prices this year.

Link

Just so discussion isn't taking place in a variety of topics. :D
Voke

[quote=""siralgenon""]Didn't I here somwhere that there was some new/revamped zombies on Duel?![/quote]

Yep, you heard right, according to Towers Nerd Live new Zombie's have replaced the "Finger Zombies"/"The ones wearing the Halloween Masks", but we'll find out the true extent of this tommorow!
[Archive]

-The Hand Is Back But Inanimate
-An animate book will be making a return soon
No.

Re-read my post, I have made it clear enough. Both the book and the hand were broken for years before being removed a few seasons back.

Now, 2011, the severed hand is back (except in a new location and probably a new prop). The magic book is also said to be returning soon. And, apparently, both should be animated. :)

Yep, you heard right, according to Towers Nerd Live new Zombie's have replaced the "Finger Zombies"/"The ones wearing the Halloween Masks", but we'll find out the true extent of this tommorow!
Those are the zombies in the windows after the tunnel sequence (originally part of the giant sequence). They were rumoured to be being replaced a few months back. According to the same source, the new zombie props work on the same mechanism but have positioned arms. :)

Did anybody go to Alton Towers today and ride Duel?
siralgenon

Ok thanks, (I know this isn't in this topic but would anyone mind checking out my Rush 'N' Rampage topic in AT general as it would help loads with my coursework thanks:D)

Im going on tues so if knowone says anything before i'll write back on that one!
p.s. I hate zombies though so thats If I look lol)
DiogoJ42

How can you hate zombies? They are awesome!
siralgenon

Not hate scared crapless of them lol 8-[
Adam

You do know they are not real...right? :? :lol:
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."