Personal Ride Experience on Hex

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
davewazere

Me and my fiance were at the towers last thursday and friday. we stayed at the chained oak b&b (excellent place to stay)

Anyway both days were great but i really enjoyed hex during ERT on friday.

We both queued up for it and were waiting for the first pre show, it was just the 2 of us. i thought they would wait for more people but they started with just us.

In the first room everything was normal until about halfway through the show. all the sound cut out and a female voice was talking to us through the PA system. the thing that freaked us out was that she was whispering our names. this really scared my fiance which i thought was funny, i had to drag her to the octagon it scared her that much.

In the octagen the same thing happened but this time the voice made out that she was trapped and needed help. i think there was also a mention that we were going to die. i again thought all this was great, my other half didn't. i had to check the corridor leading to the vault just so she would come on.

This is where they decided to play with the lights. when we got outside the vault they kept on turning the lights off and on and someone was banging on the fire exit as well.

The ride hosts didn't help either. as there were only the 2 of us both the ride hosts told us to sit in the middle and once we were strapped in they both ran (literally) out of the vault. then they were playing with the lights again turning everything off so it was pitch black.

Once the ride had finished we made a quick exit (or rather my fiance did and i had to catch up) they still hadn't finished with us tho as they started to turn the lights off again when we were in the exit corridor. it was nice of them to let us get near the exit first before they started doing this.

I thought all this was great and loved it all, it felt like an almost personnel ride for us. my mrs thought otherwise but after a lot of swearing, me explaining that the host heard our names when we were talking and a cig, she came round to my thought of the ride.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Last edited by davewazere on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/875-big-dave/"]Image[/url]
Jem8472

That sounds good fun! Never happened to me, but I have never done Hex ERT
Rowe

Oh my, I'm actually jealous of this. Fun yet so creepy, especially on ERT.
DiogoJ42

This sounds epic! :P Although I wouldn't call it bullying... that makes it sound like they were calling you names or something. I'd call it a personalized ride :D
Jem8472

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]This sounds epic! :P Although I wouldn't call it bullying... that makes it sound like they were calling you names or something. I'd call it a personalized ride :D[/quote]

I am surprised there was not someone at the exit wanting money for this extra service :P :mrgreen:
Voke

This sound's awesome! Would love to do Hex with just a few other people, really would at the the atmosphere of the ride itself. Imagine the Octogen with just a few people *Shudder*. It just wouldn't seem the same! :wink:
davewazere

[quote=""Voke""]This sound's awesome! Would love to do Hex with just a few other people, really would at the the atmosphere of the ride itself. Imagine the Octogen with just a few people *Shudder*. It just wouldn't seem the same! :wink:[/quote]

Thats how we felt when there was just two of us and the voice whispering to us.
Last edited by davewazere on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voke

[quote=""davewazere""][quote=""Voke""]This sound's awesome! Would love to do Hex with just a few other people, really would at the the atmosphere of the ride itself. Imagine the Octogen with just a few people *Shudder*. It just wouldn't seem the same! :wink:[/quote]

thats how we felt when there was just two of us and the voice whispering to us[/quote]

It must have been a really good experiance, love the staff to rider contact :D Thats why I love Scarefest so much!
fredward

This hasn't happened to me before, but I have managed to ride Hex with just me and my friend last ride of the day a couple years ago, it is quite creepy walking through it pretty much alone... But of course that just enhances the ride!
Chaz

[quote=""?V?""]People should get fired for that

Plain and simple, seeing it any other way is just stupid.

If you had tripped when they had turned the lights off = court case
If you were traumatised by a ride that is passed of as rideable based on experience = court case

On another level it could be classed as intimidation or assault as your fiance was in fear for her safety

Complain[/quote]

Seriously?

Come on, this sounds like a right laugh and staff would of course stop if they believed both of you were not enjoying the experience. Its great at Halloween events when the better half gets s**t scared, I like it mwahaha.

Court Case? Please! We aren't living in America, what ever happened to good old fashioned having fun? It brightened up the rider's day (alright maybe one of them) and it made the staff's day start with a bit of fun (something I assume doesn't happen much).
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Crofty

?V? is correct Chaz. While many of us would probably relish that kind of experience, the ride should be run as advertised. If there had been an accident, trip or fall then there would be a strong case against Towers.
Tom G

Haha, that sounds incredible. Perhaps they are warming up an idea for the Scarefest period. Not sure what TOTT is exactly so if it is Hex's name during that period ignore me ha ha.
Voke

If they did it for Scarefest, they would have to rely on everyone to say there name in the queue-line or ask for ID at the entrance and use facial recognition to recall your name. :P
davewazere

If you were traumatised by a ride that is passed of as rideable based on experience = court case

On another level it could be classed as intimidation or assault as your fiance was in fear for her safety

Complain[/quote]

she didn't fear for her safety she was worried someone was going to jump out at her. i also think the ride host knew we were enthusiasts as during the first pre show she was on her phone. when i asked her why she wasn't paying attention she said "were here all the time so i know everything that happens"

when they were messing with the lights they only flashed them off and on. they left it dark in the vault tho.

we were glad that happened, we had a some what private and personalized ride experience and a great story to tell people
AstroDan

Dave. Please use Capital Letters and check spelling (such as your topic title). You aren't using any and it means one of the team have to go around correcting your post.

Thanks.
Stern John

I have also been on Hex when there was just the two of us and it adds a whole new dimension to the experience. I was terrified!
Voke

I would of hated queueing up with just myself and a friend, the queue-line is just so eery, expecially the queue-line video and the ambient playing in the background. :hinsane:
Blaze

Complain[/quote]
Oh relax! Jesus Christ, they only played with the lights! As he said, they waited until they were near the exit before playing with the lights, so they would still be able to see. And you can't sue for being traumatised, by entering the park you agree to a contract stating that you believe you are mentally strong enough for anything that may happen on a ride short of restraints undoing etc.

Anyway, this sounds epic, I would love to have that done to me, I am really very jealous!
Ritadz

Gosh, can't people have fun nowadays, the ride ops turned off the lights for a few seconds and you think they should be sued?

I really do hate the stupid sueing and H&S culture of this country nowadays, if that had been me i would simply have looked where i was going, and if i did fall over i wouldn't go sue someone and get someone the sack, i'd simply laugh. I play football and when i get tackled badly i don't sue the person who floored me, i just get up and withing 5 minutes i'll have forgot about it.

I'd never, ever sue any staff at any theme park if they did something like this, if i fell and broke my leg i wouldn't complain, i know they tried to make it a better experience.

Blaze

They did not say they wanted the staff to stop, many rides operate in darkness, if that was the case, Alton would not be allowed open at night at all, in case someone fell over where there were no lights. And they do agree on entry to the park, as well as the ride, and it is made clear Hex uses lighting and darkness. The staff were having fun, and so were the guests, so there is no problem. They don't seem the kind to sue the park for falling over.