A day in the life of a park drain. Or lack of!

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AstroDan

I thought today highlighted something quite majorly about Alton Towers Theme Park. The almost complete lack of drainage and protection from major downpours.

It was frankly rather amusing, as the heavens opened and people ran for cover. The poor souls that were mid flight on Twirling Toadstool probably thought otherwise, though. Most major rides were, as expected, closed for a short time as the worst passed - but the aftermath was really quite alarming.

Some shops were starting to flood, Charlie's exit was flooding, Burger King entrance flooding - and a bit more too. It was also the return of the Nemesis Puddle (times 10).

Clearly, today's rain was exceptional circumstances but still! I couldn't see drains in a lot of the park or, where there were drains, they were hopeless against such rain! Pretty much mini flash floods! Who needs Cariba Creek?

Here are some tongue in cheek videos from today!

Charlie's Exit/Burger King

Cloud Cuckoo Land

Nemesis

Skyride 1

Skyride 2

:D
Blaze

That's actually a really good point, draninage is really poor.

Am I the only one who does not know what the 'Nemesis puddle' is? :oops:
Ritadz

No, i don't either
DiogoJ42

:P Flippin' 'eck mate!
Alex

Well well, some theme parks need to sort out drainage!

I love the video of cloud cuckoo land and its brand new waterfall coming from the coffee shop, that was insane!

Glad you had a nice, warm, dry day!
Pennywise

That is just horrendous, particularly the area near the Skyride. Considering we live in such a wet country, I'm surprised Alton Towers haven't bothered with installing a decent drainage system.
Nightfall

The bridge to Airs left station could also do with a few drainage holes. It seems to flood really easily which is really odd when you walk up the steps and find a puddle of water at the top.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Rowe

Entertaining yes, but I wouldn't want to be caught in that myself. Cloud Cuckoo Land is completely soaked! Actually, I'd hate to think of the waterfall going down from the Towers/Hex's entrance.
Anonymous

Certainly a big down pour, but still... how often does rain come down like this? The 7months i worked there, never had a day of really major rain.

You do get the odd days though of generally bad weather; if it be lighting, hail or just really bad rain.
The park is insanely huge, it's hard to drain everything. Which also begs the question of where does it go and what takes it there. A lot of money for Towers to invest in; when on such rare occasions things like this happen.

Having said that, those images look shocking... but at the same time really quite amusing. I think it'd be great fun to be around, providing you're suitably dressed for it.

I mean there is a lot of things need addressing in certain bad weather situations, I feel for the staff who work outside! As the supplied uniform isn't even waterproof, showerproof at best!

I'd only assume they know about this issue and on there big to-do list. One can only hope! :D
AstroDan

Indeed. I agree with the above - I still think though that for the guests that actually end up visiting on a day like this, it's not exactly ideal.

Many parks have a "rain check" guarantee. Maybe Alton could implement such a policy?
swes

I was there today and to be fair it was rain like i've never seen rain before. It was consistant for a long period but at one point it was just like OH MY GOD. But also amazing for getting on rides. But yes drainage was pretty bad in a lot of places on the park as higlighted above im surprised your camera isn't waterlogged :D
Alton Towers where wonders never cease
militantcoasterfan

I also hate it when I go for days out in major cities. When it rains it is really annoying how it drips from things and forms puddles!
MILITANT COASTER FAN 1981
JoshM

No, I also have no clue what the Nemesis puddle is.
NickT04

Those pumkins need watering you know! :hsmug:
Crofty

Myself and Saz were just coming out of Charlie when that Major downpoor began and we assumed that we would be safe in the exit to the ride. After a couple of minutes the water just swept in like a scene from Titanic. :lol: We realised that we'd have to leave as the exit was filling up with guest still exiting the lifts, Burger king also offered no shelter as that was flooded too. The Steps down to the restaurant looked like a waterfall! :lol:
I wasn't too bothered by the rain as I luckily had a change of clothes in the car but I did feel a little sorry for some of the folks trying to occupy their kids whilst trying to find somewhere suitably dry to take cover.
DiogoJ42

I believe the Nemesis Puddle is at the bottom of the steps after the queue passes under the first corkscrew? There seems to be a permanent puddle there, caused by spray from the bloodfalls.
Blaze

Ah, makes sence, thanks :hsmile:
seanyboyuk

The drainage on the nemesis station lifting floor needs to be sorted. Drilling holes would be a start...
MissMoz

I have never witnessed this Nemesis Puddle.

*gets out Towers To-Do list* :hlol:
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Everyday Is Silent Without Corky

FOR SOME THINGS THERE IS NO RATIONAL EXPLANATION.