A day in the life of a park drain. Or lack of!

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
kingda dude

I was there on sunday, I went into woodcutters whilst it was raining moderatly, once we had sat down, we looked out the window and saw it start to bucket it down outside. The whole area infront of the resteraunt was competely flooded. when we got out the resteraunt it was only drizzling and most of the water had drained away, and at 1:30 it stopped :D .

Also the path between dark forest and CCL (which runs parallel with the skyride) was flooded up to the curb on the side of the skyride. Eventually they got a road sweeper to suck up all the water (we saw it).
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
Crofty

I think this must have been the main problem area. Because of the large amount of covered buildings in cloud cuckoo land water has to use the drains and when overflowing it all goes downhill to the areas of Charlie, BK and as said above the Sky ride. Too much crazy Paving and not enough drains I think.

Nemesis Puddle wasn't that bad to be honest, it was normal. :lol: Nemesis Fast Pass entrance was beginning to flood though, with Red blood water rising up from the drains.
John

Make the fasttack holders swim I say!

It does seem drainage is a real issue in CCL and Dark Forest as its a very large area with little greenery. The rest of the park probably doesn't suffer so much, as there are a lot of natural lakes and watercourses to take away the excess. I'm surprised Nemesis was a problem though, given that it was only a couple of years ago that they tried to address that particular problem.
Dormiens-Dave

To be fair i was in Dewsbury with similar weather and minor flooding occured there too, i don't think the best drains could cope at the bottom of inclines
AstroDan

[quote=""militantcoasterfan""]I also hate it when I go for days out in major cities. When it rains it is really annoying how it drips from things and forms puddles![/quote]

Indeed, when it drops in your eye it's truly... eyewatering!

To be fair, just wave some sparklers at it and everything will be OK.

8)
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""AstroDan""]

To be fair, just wave some sparklers at it and everything will be OK.

8)[/quote]

Is that a euphemism? :?
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Crofty

[quote=""Spike""]
Is that a euphemism? :?[/quote]

Was that a euphemism? :lol:

Lol Dan, Get on topic matey 8)
henry96

As strange as this may sound, I really don't mind terrible rain at the Towers. In the last two hours we were there, there was a 10 minute heavy downpour and although the rides closed shortly, in the last few hours we were there we got on nemesis, air, thirteen and rita multiple times each. It also was the best day I spent there. :)