Morwenna Angove set to leave Alton Towers Resort?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
haydn!

[quote=""DiogoJ42""]Really? I wouldn't have thought refurbishing a ride came under the remit of marketing. :?[/quote]

Marketing is more than just adverts and PR stunts. The marketing department at a place like Alton Towers will be responsible for all aspects of the business that interact with the customer experience. Including everything from product design and development, through setting prices to all the advertising.

She's done a fantastic job over the last few years, by creating a consistent brand image across the entire resort that's becoming instantly recognisable as 'Alton Towers' and although the Thirteen marketing wasn't quite right for the ride itself, it was still some fantastic, high quality stuff.
DiogoJ42

Fair dos then. credit where credit is due... those were good.
Jollylee11

Morwenna We all are going to miss you you did show me & everyone else that Alton towers can be not just one park :D
We don't want you to leave so change your mind Now ! :P Or please come back we love you Morwenna :cry: :cry: Even if you thought thirteen was scary :P :mrgreen:
Hope we hear you from you soon back at the towers
Last edited by Jollylee11 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popsynic

This advert has been posted on the Merlin jobs pages - presume its for her replacement - although seems to have a new job title. Or is this another job completely?

Alton Towers Brand Manager (£35,000p.a.)
Permanent - Staffordshire
Full-time

The Role: A fantastic opportunity to plan and deliver a marketing plan for a dynamic and exciting marketing department in the UK's leading attraction. For a talented and experienced brand marketing professional the opportunity to recommend and implement product development initiatives for an amazing product whilst ensuring consistent brand communications off site and through guest delivery.

The Person: Management experience in a Marketing team within the leisure or retail sectors with proven ability to manage agencies and budgets and a marketing qualification.
Kaycee

Morwenna is Director of Sales and Marketing, so that's a different job. :)
Blaze

Same thing really, especially reading the description.

Or am I wrong?
haydn!

I'd also expect Morwenna to be earning far more than £35,000. Most Junior Marketeers, in larger companies earn around £20k
Kaycee

Branding is just one part of marketing, isn't it, I'd imagine a Brand Manager to work underneath the Director of it all. :)
Blaze

I'd have thought it was the other way around, with the brand coming top, and marketing just selling the brand :hnotsure:
haydn!

Marketing in most large companies is the name given to a group of departments, rather than single sole focus area.

For example, the company I work for we have a division called 'Marketing & Communications' and within that division there are departments that cover branding, fulfilment (letters & leaflets), product development, pricing management, external communications (advertising), internal communications, sponsorship and a few other things.

I'd expect Alton Towers marketing department to be split in a similar way, but perhaps not as vast. Morwenna will sit at the top as 'Marketing Director' but she'll have various other managers and staff under her for things such a branding, advertising, product development, etc.

If they're advertising for a senior job within her department, it's possible her replacement is the former brand manager?
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""oldgitBEN""]
Re: Morwenna
I'll be honest, even with the massive amounts of grief I put on here about Morwenna i'll be sad to see her leave.
Can anyone remember who ran the marketing department before her? I certainly can't, which means she has done a superb job in advertising the park and herself. If she is leaving and not-internally I suspect other companies have seen her name in the press that often they wanted her on board.
While 13 was stupidly marketed as the 'ultimate' rollercoaster the pre build up, flikr accounts, facebook pages, tv adverts and general marketing was nothing short of superb, and gained alton the sport of publicity its not had since 1994.
And the other attractions she has promoted have been brilliant.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. :)

For every "stupid" marketing ploy there was redemption three-fold elsewhere in the park and beyond.

I wish her luck :)
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
spark

Or they have/are promoting internally and this position is for the person who is going to fill Morwenna's position
Crofty

Morwenna - Thankyou for the Teddy Roller coaster in Towers Trading and some other bits and bobs. That coaster next to Rita ain't as bad as they all make out either (Except the florescent Ivy) :D

:D :D
Brett

I'm going to miss he... im genuinely upset about it... i loved her quirky little publicity stunts they were fun :D and also they WORKED! my personal favourite being the "FOU13TEEN" one! thats was a superb idea!

also im absolutely in LOVE! with the new video of the clown protest outside the gates! it is a marvellous idea! it wont be the same without her...
Rowe

Like the majority in this topic, I'm going to miss Mor-Mor if she's leaving at the end of the season and although her Thirteen marketing pretty much backfired, she's done a lot of good for Towers like the teddy coaster in Trading, Monorail's refurb and so on. Yeah she has gone wrong with a few things here and there but everyone makes mistakes in the end, so hopefully in her new un-named job she'll have learnt not to market things as 'ultimate' again.

:P
TibBo

The thing is, the parts that we all like are the quirky little ideas such as the clown protests etc. which could easily have been thought up by anyone... not exactly the work of a marketing genius.
Anyone with a little imagination and passion for the park could easily think up hundreds of quirky little ideas to fire out on twitter/facebook, or get a bit of publicity.
Rollercoaster5000

This is upsetting. Sure her Thirteen marketing didn't go to well, but she did well in the end and her crazy stunts were quite amusing. I'm going to miss her stunts. The clowns protest was hilarious. I wish her luck for the future.
Warrior

I believe Morwenna is moving to Manchester but can't discuss it to the end of he month.

HOT GOSSIP: Georgina Kelly believes she's in line for the job... She has the same role at Warwick Castle and has done an excellent job in re-branding the Castle. She gives us all the impression its her job to lose as the businesses are in the same division, lives next door to Alton and is best mates with the Mark Fisher!
Chris W

Didn't Morwenna used to work at Manchester City Council before coming to Alton?

I'm not really aware of Georgina Kelly but I'd say that Warwick Castle has really improved in recent years.
Chris W

We have received this email from Morwenna:
Dear Alton Towers Resort fans,

Today is my last day so I thought I would take the opportunity to thank you for all your support and feedback over the last few years, I know (because I do read the forums!) that some of my ideas haven’t always been received positively by some of you but they have always been undertaken with the best interests of the Resort at heart and have been partly instrumental for ensuring that the business has grown consistently over the last 3 years, 2010 being a record breaking year in so many ways. It will be incredibly hard to leave a place about which I care passionately and even harder to leave behind a group of dedicated, talented and fantastic people who strive to deliver their absolute best for you and the other guests who visit the Resort in growing numbers every year. So, whilst you may have seen the back of scantily-clad ladies on Rita; scantily-clad men in the Waterpark and Clowns protesting I am confident that you will not have seen the end of business growth, great guest experiences in addition to award-winning marketing campaigns and some terrifically unique product development.

Goodbye and Good Luck. Morwenna xx
And on behalf of the rest of the team we would like to wish Morwenna the best of luck in the future.