Queues during weekday

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
TibBo

Second week
bobblebob

Was on park Thurs and Fri. Thurs was pretty quiet. Thirteen was walk on (strangely).

Today however my friend saw a school teacher he knows, and she had brought 800 schoolkids with her. Was over 30 coaches in total in the carpark
JoshM

How do school mange to get trips too AT?! The school term has only just began.
Voke

Schools get discounts for buying a bulk amount of tickets, therefore the more people go in a group, teh cheaper it is.
bobblebob

I can understand a school trip at the end of the school year, but not 2 week into a new term. Dont get it
Islander

[quote=""bobblebob""]I can understand a school trip at the end of the school year, but not 2 week into a new term. Dont get it[/quote]
School trips aren't just for fun, they are (shock horror) educational as well. Therefore if a trip fits in best to the scheme of work now, now is when it will be done.
Voke

Suppose Alton Towers can be a science teachers dream :D
Pennywise

If the kids come out of the day knowing that Nemesis 'cannot brakedown teh upsidedeownz', then busy September weekdays is a fair price to pay. :)
Red_Star_Nightmare

I read what you were saying about visiting scarefest during term time? Is it really the best time to go?
Jordan

[quote=""Air Dan""]If the kids come out of the day knowing that Nemesis 'cannot brakedown teh upsidedeownz', then busy September weekdays is a fair price to pay. :)[/quote]

Also, as was the case for our trip to Mandyland the other week, it's good as an icebreaker to get to know other people at the start of the year.

Nothing like getting to know someone than hearing them screaming around a roller coaster... :roll:
DiogoJ42

:evil: In my day, you were expected to keep working right up until the bell rang on the last day of term, never mind a theme park trip at the start of the term! The only trips we ever had were to museums, or occasionally the theatre for Drama / Theatre Studdies.
NickT04

[quote=""bobblebob""]I can understand a school trip at the end of the school year, but not 2 week into a new term. Dont get it[/quote]

One year at my school we had an Ofsted at the end of the school year. The school openly said that if we were to get an "Outstanding" report, then the whole school would get a trip to Alton as a reward. The school duly went on to get its traditional "Outstanding" report, and I can't quite recall why but the trip was delayed until the September. I felt for the 6.2s that had left in the summer, they lost out on their trip, while the pesky new Y7s got a trip they didn't really warrant!

I also think another plus point is two weeks into the start of a new school year you haven't really got your teeth into anything major, there's no exams etc. and a point earlier was made about helping people settle in. Whereas at the end of term some people may have exams and it's be hard to plan around if the entire school is going!
tori_swift

One group in sixth form at my old school got to go to Thorpe Park and brought with them a special jacket (forgotten the technical name for it) which measures G force, acceleration and other forces while going on the rides which was rather educational and fun :D

Combining science and theme parks sounds perfect to me lol :P
daboywunda

lol, but back to the question in hand,how are the Q's at the moment? I'm due to go 2moro and worried that it'll be manic like it was back in may!
samx57

[quote=""daboywunda""]lol, but back to the question in hand,how are the Q's at the moment? I'm due to go 2moro and worried that it'll be manic like it was back in may![/quote]

I was on park monday 27th and tuesday 28th and queues got to about 25 minutes, although we seemed to have missed the queues as only waited 5 mins max to get on sonic spinball and that was it.

best two days i have had at Alton.
Voke

I've discovered that school days at the start of a holiday are very busy. Went on the Wednesday a day after the holidays had finished for all the schools in England and the queues were massive. Im talking about 70 minutes for TH13TEEN and 40 minutes for Nemisis :shock:

Just a warning to people trying to avoid the queues for Scarefest :mrgreen:
Merlin

I visited my local zoo a couple of weeks ago and the staff thier at the guest services were saying that the numbers at the zoo were unexpectily up compared to what they normaly expect for the time of the year, including school trips. So it look likes it is not just Alton Towers that is busier than normal.
joshc807

I was really shocked, but the best time i went was at the start of the six weeks holidays, i think it was so quiet because most people were on holiday. I got on Nemesis twice (I WALKED ONTO THE TRAIN TWICE! :shock: ) And i got on 13, 3 times and the longest i queued for it was 10 minutes! (I went on loads of other rides twice aswell) I also went on bank holiday monday at the start of this year and it was quiet, i think im just good with times :?
7griffinjack

Any idea how busy it will be on a weekday during February half-term?
Thanks.
NickT04

[quote=""7griffinjack""]Any idea how busy it will be on a weekday during February half-term?
Thanks.[/quote]

It won't be. Your biggest queue will be to get in at the start of the day!